Things you like in video games others might find weird

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Interesting creature design. One of the reasons I love Pokemon, paired with the fact I can take control of the monsters I like.

One thing that bugged me in Skyrim compared to previous Elder Scrolls games is, while they said they were going for a more interesting, Morrowind-ish theme in their game rather than a generic fantasy was as was used in Oblivion, they didn't really meet the standards when it comes to interesting monsters...well, new ones that is. It may have been the lack of Daedra. The Daedra th [http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130210000231/elderscrolls/images/d/da/Seeker2.png]ey did have [http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130206164817/elderscrolls/images/c/c3/Dragonborn-trailer-14.PNG] were brilliant. I was really pleased to see those. But stuff like Falmer (while they had an interesting backstory), Reiklings, Sabre Cats, Dragons (while cool, it's a generic fantasy choice) and Draugr, just didn't excite me visually.

Stuff like Ice Wraiths, Hagravens and Charus did. Although I was personally let down by the Chaurus Hunters, I would have been happier to see something closer to their regular form.

ninja666 said:
Practical equipment makes me enjoy an RPG (or any fantasy game) twice as much. I'm tired of all of those bullshit fantasy designs with spikes and large pauldrons. When I see such designs in a game, it sorta makes me resent it.
Yes.

This [http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100206174741/monsterhunter/images/c/c9/LionsBane.png] has me like "You seriously think that's aesthetically pleasing?"

This [http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/221/8/c/skyrim_steel_sword_replica_rel_by_ltd4ve-d460a1b.png] has me like this. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6MFR-gDIpY]

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I got weird looks when I told people that crosshairs obscure my vision. I cannot play FPS games most of the times that don't allow you to disable those.

The only thing they do for me is unnescecarely filling the hud and making the game too easy.

RiseUp

Jan 31, 2014
Downtime.

Little mundane stretches where you have very little to do other than move or complete a procedural task while soaking in your environment. I think I'm one of the few people in the world that liked the sailing aspect of the Wind Waker for this exact reason. It's calming and, yes, a little bit boring, but it's that lull that makes finding a new island or stumbling into treasure so great.

In fact, I'm building a bit of a survival game around this aspect myself. Grabbing a player's interest with character interaction or subtle psychological horror only seems to work for me if those moments are used to punctuate a stark, mostly calm expeience.

Also: sequence breaking. I love being able to subvert the order a game intends you to play in, even more so in games like Dark Souls where accessing certain areas of the game can net you gear that you can take into pvp and destroy your adversaries with.

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
I like being able to make little scripts for my AI controlled party members. I downloaded a mod to let me make longer scripts in the first Dragon Age. It wasn't even close to robust enough though, I need more lines and the ability to make loops. I get little tingles of joy watching my little A.I.s running around shattering bad guys. I need help.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Tatsuki said:
Oddly enough one thing I love about a lot of games is the bugs that come with it.

Don't get me wrong I hate bug riddled train wrecks but I miss the good old days where a few bugs always slipped by and learning to use / exploit them was a big thing to show off to your friends. Even now some games are known for memorable and entertaining bugs, with skyrims backwards flying dragons (which I can recreate in the PS4 Dragon Age Inquisition) or even good old missingno from pokemon.

I do admit whole heartedly this was more entertaining when bugs were the exception and not the norm.
Bugs are part of why I loved playing Sonic 06 and it's making my current playthrough of Ride to Hell really entertaining. Which in itself is something people would find odd: I really enjoy games that are critically hated and get really bad scores in general. I liked Sonic 06, I like Ride to Hell. There are some that I can't bother to play through like the Sonic Storybook games or Shadow the Hedgehog but I have a lot of fun with those really bad games.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I'm not very knowledgeable about music so I don't know if there is a proper term for this, but one thing that I love in games/movies is something I like to call "musical constancy". By musical constancy I mean a series of themes that get used often as a sort of connection to the previous installments in the series. An example of this would be the Mass Effect theme, which is used in different forms in the Mass Effect trilogy.

One thing that always upsets me in a sequel to anything, be it a game or a film, is when a new composer comes in and those themes I've come to associate with the series end up getting replaced and never heard of again (Marvel is particularly bad with this in their sequels). I mean just imagine if there was an Indiana Jones movie that completely replaced the Indiana Jones theme with something else. It's kind of a big deal for me, but everyone I know just think I'm kind of weird for feeling that way.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Toilets.

OK ok stop, not in that way.

I mean I like going through an area in a dungeon or castle and finding a room that has no purpose for you, or no reason gameplay-wise, or story-wise, but it just makes sense for it to be there. Going through a dungeon a band of goblins claimed for themselves, and stumbling upon a pair of out-of-the-way alcoves, each with a bucket and a puddle of something, and maybe a scrap of paper sitting nearby. No loot, nothing you can take (except the bucket and paper, which you can't even sell), it's just... there.

Same thing with other rooms. Walk into a room or a house, and inside instead of finding gold and a sword, all you find is a candle and a couple pair of pants. It's some random guy's bedroom, why would you expect him to have a crossbow in there?

Malevolentcafe

Mar 29, 2013
It's always a nice touch when the soundtrack dynamically shifts into a higher tempo when in battle, instead of cutting into the battle theme altogether, breaking the atmosphere. *HINTOBLIVIONHINT*

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Background information.

I like having the ability to find something in the game, a note/datalog/etc. that give me some more insight into the world of the game. That's what I love most about Final Fantasy XIII. As you progress through the story, you get more and more information on the various people of power, the cities, and the population that live there and how they relate to the story.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
Depends on the game.

In fighting games, I like it when the characters have lines that they spout during attacks (though for some reason I'm only okay with it in Skullgirls and Street Fighter sorta, when anime fighters like Guilty Gear or Blazblue do it, I just wanna sew the characters mouths shut because WOW they sound annoying as all hell). also when characters have character specific lines, again this is only in Skullgirls where before the matches start they exchange little phrases between each other as well as when taggin out and stuff.

In an game that involves moving through 3D environments, I like the environments to feel alive somewhat. One of the things I enjoyed in Remember Me was how the city just felt so alive, at times I'd stop to glance at signs and shops and what not just to see what goes on in this future.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Stats. Especially if I get to manually assign them. Good example would be Shin Megami Tensei IV. You can build up Flynn's Dexterity till his physical moves hit like a freight train. Or his luck and focus on instant death and status effects. Magic, well, that's obvious. Strength, eh, don't put points there in smt 4. Agility effects dodge, hit rate and plays into crits along with luck. This brings me back to a game for multiple playthroughs. Being able to make my twink however I want him(or her) and still be viable in some way(except strength hero) makes me want to try them all out. Plus, when you get them just right, to where they just mash everything on sight to a fucking pulp, that's just satisfying. So yeah, I guess I'm a munchkin of sorts.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Physical maps and binoculars, the map in Far Cry 2 was terrible though, it should have been an handheld GPS instead of a shitload of small maps for each section like he bought some random ass travelling book.

Binoculars should simply be in every game that tries to be tactical, even if just tacticool like Battlefield, every character should be able to see far away without needing to have a long range weapon, its called planning ahead. That is why I liked Project Reality so much, you could just be a spotter for your team and be a great assist just by doing that (it works differently then in BF since spotting actually means saying the right distance and direction in your compass and hoping that your team mates can see the enemy as well when looking at the same direction instead of instantly putting a dot on top of the enemy).

Also, ammo types, I really like them if they manage to change the gameplay, be it in realistic games where it changes small things like penetration of flesh or armor or in more arcade games where you get explosive ammo or acid.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I like grinding. Especially for extra stuff like the support conversations in Fire Emblem.
Helps with my anxiety.

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
"realism"

I may be hanging with the wrong crowds, but I get the impression people don't appreciate realism as much as I do. By realism I don't mean that I don't want monsters, magic, sci-fi technology or other stuff, I just really like it when things make sense sort of.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
I like exploration, jumping (!!!) and snow levels. Well, the aesthetic of snow levels. Some bugs are great. Classic CGI-Cutscenes, like the Blizzard ones. In Shooters, I like using the sniper rifle as often as I can, even if the target is close.
I like if the environment has the realistic proportions or I can walk in every house, even if nothing is in it.

And I like playing as female, but that is only weird outside of gaming circles.

El Cazador

Dec 30, 2014
SuperSuperSuperGuy said:
This is odd merely because of how specific it is, but I love dodge cancelling in action games. Any time where you can cancel your attack into a movement command, like a dash or a dodge, feels absolutely amazing to me. It makes me feel untouchable, like I can attack with impunity because I can dodge anything my enemies throw at me at a moment's notice. It's satisfying, practical AND stylish! What could be better?
You might want to check out Wasteland 2. Guns jam in almost any life or death situation. My sniper got her rifle jammed then the last enemy vaporized my whole squad...

I like it when you can see your back up weapons on your character. And I like it when a game has a proper high caliber revolver. Fallout New Vegas' 44. Magnum Revolver was beyond compare. I like games that have several ammo types for a single weapon and I like crafting system in games.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
In this day of online shooters, I love games that have bot support. Almost no games ever seem to have it anymore. Project Reality and Forgotten Hope 2, online focused mods for Battlefield 2, have bot support for almost all maps and can be set as high as 50 bots per side As a solo experience they actually play better than most modern shooters.

I also like crazily specific mods. For example, I have a mod for Skyrim that add's birds to the cities and surrounding areas. Birds. Because Immersion. Oh, and one that adds a few cats too.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Well, maybe not many people find it weird, but I like my characters having legs in first person games. I also like games having multiple endings.