Things you never noticed in Pokemon.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Also, why is all the Gen II art painted in this way?

Not hating on it, but the colours alwas look faded :s
It wasnt just gen 1, all the original art was like that.

but now theyre all like this

Its just art/tech/style progression.

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
Robert Ewing said:
I never realized that the pokémon's wabafet's real body is actually his tail, and the part that you THINK is it's body is actually just an incredibly damage proof decoy.

mind = blown

seriously

that's actually totally possible,
I can't believe I never noticed the eyes on his tail

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
tycho0042 said:
Reading most of the 'dex entries for the ghost pokemon made me realize that using almost ANY ghost pokemon is taking more than your life in your own hands.

Giratina in Platinum and B/W:It was banished for its violence. It silently gazed upon the old world from the Distortion World.
[
This one interests me, I mean it makes you wonder who banished him, and how much violent he was.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
tycho0042 said:
Reading most of the 'dex entries for the ghost pokemon made me realize that using almost ANY ghost pokemon is taking more than your life in your own hands.

Gastly in silver: Its thin body is made of gas. It can envelop an opponent of any size and cause suffocation.
Haunter in ruby/sapphire: Haunter is a dangerous Pokémon. If one beckons you while floating in darkness, you must never approach it. This Pokémon will try to lick you with its tongue and steal your life away.
Gengar in fire red: It is said to emerge from darkness to steal the lives of those who become lost in mountains
Duskull in ruby: Duskull can pass through any wall no matter how thick it may be. Once this Pokémon chooses a target, it will doggedly pursue the intended victim until the break of dawn.
In sapphire: Duskull wanders lost among the deep darkness of midnight. There is an oft-told admonishment given to misbehaving children that this Pokémon will spirit away bad children who earn scoldings from their mothers.
It's prey? Small children.
Dusclops in ruby: Dusclops's body is completely hollow - there is nothing at all inside. It is said that its body is like a black hole. This Pokémon will absorb anything into its body, but nothing will ever come back out. That's right, a floating BLACK HOLE.
Drifloon in HG/SS: It is whispered that any child who mistakes Drifloon for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing.
Giratina in Platinum and B/W:It was banished for its violence. It silently gazed upon the old world from the Distortion World.
Litwick in Black: Litwick shines a light that absorbs the life energy of people and Pokémon, which becomes the fuel that it burns.
Lampent in White: It arrives near the moment of death and steals spirit from the body.
Chandelure in White: Being consumed in Chandelure's flame burns up the spirit, leaving the body behind.
Shedinja in D/P/Pt/B/W: A discarded bug shell that came to life. Peering into the crack on its back is said to steal one's spirit. Where do we see it most often in battle?
Sableye in Ruby: Sableye lead quiet lives deep inside caverns. They are feared, however, because these Pokémon are thought to steal the spirits of people when their eyes burn with a sinister glow in the darkness.
Frillish in white: They paralyze prey with poison, then drag them down to their lairs, five miles below the surface.
Jellicent in White: They propel themselves by expelling absorbed seawater from their bodies. Their favorite food is life energy.

Clearly, employing any of these pokemon is insane.

...I want ALL of these in my team!

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
The pattern on Arboks chest changes based on region.
Via ruby and sapphire.
From Pearl and Diamond.

May 17, 2010
Amondren said:
Via ruby and sapphire.
From Pearl and Diamond.
Still a bit of a cop out when all Arbok are meant to have a unique pattern.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Amondren said:
Via ruby and sapphire.
From Pearl and Diamond.
Are you sure it's based on region and not gender? Hold on...*goes and checks bulbapedia*

Entry: It is rumored that the ferocious warning markings on its belly differ from area to area. Also, "Gender differences: none".

Huh. Learn something new everyday.
Fyctional said:
Kakuna is wearing a tie.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f0/014Kakuna.png
Why is it that I can see a Kakuna doing a GEICO or AllState commercial right now????

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Dryk said:
Sintrea said:
Here's something that's really weird, and totally canon.
The ghost pokemon Yamask, gen 5, is a pokemon that is the ghost of a human.

"Yamask are known to have once been human, and as such, they retain memories of their former lives. Each Yamask carries a mask depicting the face it once had. Sometimes, it looks at this mask and cries, apparently in longing. Yamask are known to wander the ruins of ancient civilization"

Wut? All of my wut? The implications for this is... unsettling.
This sort of thing isn't new either

"It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away. However, it gets pulled around instead. "

"An abandoned plush doll became this Pokémon. They are said to live in garbage dumps and wander about in search of the children that threw them away."
I'm starting to think that all these Pokemon entries are not based on actual fact or research, but a bunch of folklore and stories about the Pokemon when they were first discovered by normal individuals. I say this because a lot of the entries for Ghost-types are a lot more daunting and directed towards scaring kids straight compared to those of Dark-types.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Amondren said:
Via ruby and sapphire.
From Pearl and Diamond.
It's also a face!

Something that I had noticed a long time ago but nobody posted.

In RBY If you check the statue you'll see your Rival has won every badge before you. However not with the final gym. And when you do beat Giovanni he says farewell etc.

Yet your rival not only gets into Victory Road before you. But manages to beat the Pokemon League...without collecting all of the badges.

And maybe it was just childhood innocence. But until I was older I never really realised why that old guy was always staring into the Grass Gym and saying 'This Gym...it's full of women!' (they're girls actually. Which makes it even more creepier)

The games promote using 'stat increasing' drugs and 'rare candies' to better your pokemon's performance.

Skitty can breed with Wailord.

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
Daget Sparrow said:

...I want ALL of these in my team!
Admittedly, my team in White features Chandelure. It's special attack stat is too good to ignore. I used it to sweep the dragon gym

Barmn

Aug 3, 2011
Fyctional said:
Kakuna is wearing a tie.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f0/014Kakuna.png
Actually, if you notice the lines on Kakuna line up with what a Beedrill looks like. Its "Tie" is actually his spikes held together.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Two different Pokedex entries for Entei:

Pokemon Silver - "A Pokémon that races across the land. It is said that one is born every time a new volcano appears."
Pokemon D/P/Pt - "It is said that when it roars, a volcano erupts somewhere around the globe."

Meaning that whenever an Entei roars, another Entei is born, meaning there's lots and lots of Enteis!

ramon284

May 25, 2012
I don't know if this is true, but when the game was released the only pokemon to know "splash" was magikarp. The Japanese word for splash is the same as hop. Because the only pokemon with this move was a magikarp, the English translators tought they ment splash instead of hop.

This also explains why later pokemons have splash, while they aren't even water-types, and resemble animals that would hop in real life. ( not 100% sure if this is true )

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Lonely Packager said:
Girafarig is a palindrome. I knew that Eevee and Ho-oh were, but I didn't realise Girafarig was.
Me and my best friend always called it "Garifag" when we played gold and silver as kids, because we couldn't be bothered figuring out spelling and we also hated the pokemon XD

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
captaincabbage said:
Lonely Packager said:
Girafarig is a palindrome. I knew that Eevee and Ho-oh were, but I didn't realise Girafarig was.
Me and my best friend always called it "Garifag" when we played gold and silver as kids, because we couldn't be bothered figuring out spelling and we also hated the pokemon XD
I always called Xatu 'exattoo' or something when I was little because it was so bewildering.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
guidance said:
Someone told me really recently that you can have two pokemon of different species mate. It's either male determines species, and female determines what moves it can learn, or it's the other way around I don't remember. Either way that blew my mind.
The male determines what moves the new pokemon will know, and the female will determines its stats and species. For example, you have a male Snorlax and a female Garchomp breed. The resulting offspring will be a Gible that knows Body Slam, a move it can't normally learn but was born with it because its father knew it.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
CrimsonBlaze said:
Dryk said:
Sintrea said:
Here's something that's really weird, and totally canon.
The ghost pokemon Yamask, gen 5, is a pokemon that is the ghost of a human.

"Yamask are known to have once been human, and as such, they retain memories of their former lives. Each Yamask carries a mask depicting the face it once had. Sometimes, it looks at this mask and cries, apparently in longing. Yamask are known to wander the ruins of ancient civilization"

Wut? All of my wut? The implications for this is... unsettling.
This sort of thing isn't new either

"It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away. However, it gets pulled around instead. "

"An abandoned plush doll became this Pokémon. They are said to live in garbage dumps and wander about in search of the children that threw them away."
I'm starting to think that all these Pokemon entries are not based on actual fact or research, but a bunch of folklore and stories about the Pokemon when they were first discovered by normal individuals. I say this because a lot of the entries for Ghost-types are a lot more daunting and directed towards scaring kids straight compared to those of Dark-types.
You thought ghost type descriptions were terrifying? Check this out.

"During the daytime, Cacturne remains unmoving so that it does not lose any moisture to the harsh desert sun. This Pokémon becomes active at night when the temperature drops.

If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving."

Cacturne stand still all day to preserve moisture. At night, it waits for travelers to become exhausted before sucking out all of their bodily fluids in order to get their fix of water. Terrifying. Simply terrifying.

And I love it.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Pikachu is, like every other thing in Pokemon, based off of something in real life. The Pika mouse. http://faculty.ucr.edu/~chappell/INW/mammals/pika5.jpg It's something most people don't really pay attention to; they know it's a rodent, but don't actually know it's based off a real-life rodent.

Something which was added in either 4th or 5th gen, which not many people realize, is that Metapod now has the move Bug Bite. I kid you not. A formerly-useless Pokemon now has the ultimate hold-out. Also, added in Gen 5, Magikarp can learn Bounce, a flying-type move. God knows why you'd want it, but it's there.

Some other ones are kind of obvious, but... Slugma = Slug + Magma, Magcargo = Magma + Escargot (Fried snails). Oh yeah. Something else. You know that bag that Delibird carries? It feeds its young with that bag. "It nests at the edge of sharp cliffs. It spends all day carrying food to its awaiting chicks." If you catch Delibird, YOU ARE KILLING ITS YOUNG AND YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED.

Also, Spoink (That weird, spring pig thing) keeps its heart rate up by bouncing. If it stops bouncing by, say, Stun Spore or sleep, it'll die. "Spoink bounces around on its tail. The shock of its bouncing makes its heart pump. As a result, this Pokémon cannot afford to stop bouncing - if it stops, its heart will stop." The lesson here is, if your opponent has a Spoink, close the game down and try to avoid them. Or commit Pokemon homicide. Whichever.