Things you swore you'd never do... Then did it anyway.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Beffudled Sheep said:
I just noticed that your avatar blinks. It terrified me lol. I'd be reading your posts and out of the corner of my eye I swore I saw your avatar move, but then I;d watch it for a bit and it wouldn;t move. I thought I was going crazy :p
Sorry, just had to say that.
Fear not! Like myself flying into a blind range because the 1's and 0's on my TV did not do what I wanted them to do, you are not the first nor will you be the last to get confused/terrified by my avatar :D It always gives me great joy to catch another one.

For myself, it's just been a matter of being able to walk away from the game. FIFA and Call of Duty, the main TIPPY SMASH!!! culprits, are games that I can lose the match and then walk away for a while to collect myself.

I don't mind losing; I hate losing when I think it shouldn't have happened. Like when the guy crosses the ball and I have three God damn defenders around my opponent and yet somehow that mother fucker jumps up and heads the ball! The ball then slowly dribbles forward so slowly that a God damn quadriplegic could stop the shot but my star goalie MANAGES TO FUCK IT UP!!!! GRAAAAH!!!!

*Smash Noises*

Shit, I need a new desk now... :p

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
I swore that I would never play a MMO because I did not want it to suck my life away.

....5 years of wow later and im finally clean.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
I have never once in my life made a decision to not buy something/ not use something out of principle and then not followed up on that. So I guess you can say I have a spine.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Well, pretty recently I vowed to do my part to reduce the toxic environment in online games (I'm not a particularly toxic person, but I do so love my passive-aggressiveness). Then I got a dps in my group who was completely silent, afked for 5 minutes before every boss fight, and literally did nothing but auto-attack the final boss (who was a dps race).

I didn't exactly cuss him out, but let's just say my passive-aggressiveness lost some of its passivity before we finally vote-kicked him.

Mission failed there, but I can always try again, right?

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I swear I'll actually finish this game before taking a break only to start over again several months later!

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Swore I would never, ever get Mass Effect 3. Screw Origin, I said. EA just keeps being dicks, they will get no more of MY money, I proclaimed with absolute certainty. Nope, in my verse, Sheperd blew up the collectors' base, and the Reapers said "Fuck it, let's just wait til he's dead."

Finish my long delayed second playthrough. Now I really want to see how the story ends. Ok, so maybe EA gets 20 more of my dollars, but who cares, they won't even notice. Sure, origin will be on my computer, mocking my failure every time I go to play, but it's getting nuked the second I finish both of my characters.

Well, after I spend a night and a part of the following morning trying to talk Origin into letting me play my damn game, I load her up. I've covered my reaction to the game in other posts, but short story is; the universe choose to slap me for breaking my solemn vow. $20 is kinda cheap as far as cosmic judgement goes, so at least I lucked out there.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Venom 3135 said:
Read walkthroughs for survival horrors and JRPG's. Sometimes I just cannot figure out what to do and I know that if I look at one once, I'll probably end up doing it again. But there are times where I just have to use the internet (I'm relatively young and have grown up with games that nurture the player like a puppy). I fucking hate doing it because I feel it takes the fun away, but I just can't help myself sometimes.
To your credit, there was many a time playing a Final Fantasy game on Playstation, I'd get stuck for hours because the graphical layout of the land obscure the exit of room.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
I swore I would keep a serious town in Animal Crossing: City Folk for a year. Actually keep it going instead of doing something silly that would ultimately screw me over. Then winter came and I decided my town needed to be Hoth, so I cut down every last tree and pulled every flower. It was funny...for about a day. Then I realized it sucked and I didn't play City Folk again. I'm going to see if I can stay serious with New Leaf though!

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Griffolion said:
I swore that I'd never trust anyone again.

But I didn't have to.

You had me at "hello".
Congratulations, you win the thread! Have an internet.

I once thought I'd never buy Daikatana. But I totally did.

(Captcha: I'm blushing. Dammit.)

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Swore I would never care to watch any of the Pokemon movies, I love the games to death, but the anime always seemed so much less interesting than the games. However just a few days ago I saw that someone put Pokemon Black: Victini and Reshiram up on Youtube, I love Reshiram to pieces so I figured it would be nice to see it in action for once.

It wasn't that amazing, but I loved seeing Pokemon doing more than standing around waiting for their turns, and I had fun with it. I eventually watched most of the others in a little marathon(I had a bad fever so I didn't want to do anything else) and it was fun, even if the dialogue can be really awful, just seeing cool legendary Pokemon battles was good enough for me. Victini was pretty cute too. :3

Marc Wyzomirski

Jun 20, 2013
I gave up any ambition of working in the game industry after my time at Activision.

Years later I now own my own game company, Skylance Studio. I just couldn't get game design out of my blood, but I wouldn't allow myself to go back to work for a big publisher again.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
The 2-fingered peace sign made a big comeback while I was in high school. I swore I'd never flash the sign because I thought it was corny and made the signer look like a tool. But sure enough, I started to do it because it was a lot less effort than a hand wave or any other non-verbal greeting. The peace sign has since become a core part of my identity; I'm pretty sure I'm the only one I know who still does it on a regular basis.

Peace.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Buy Animal Crossing New Leaf.
Animal Crossing is very addicting which is why I avoided buying any of the games since the first one since I was really addicted to the first one. Then my friends convinced me to get New Leaf and well...it's just as addicting as ever.

Another thing is I told myself that I would not overburden myself with my Let's Play projects, but that seems to have been thrown out the window long ago. At the moment I'm doing 4 LPs, all of them are 100% and 2 are on Game Anyone and the other two are on YT. Doesn't help that I update so often that it makes it difficult to keep up and some fans won't leave me alone! >.<
Good thing I'm taking a break...

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Eh, sorry I don't got anything game-related for that.

Well, I did swear I would never play Ninja Gaiden 2 ever again [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.339001-My-Final-Rant-On-Ninja-Gaiden-2]. Never ever. Never EVER EVER. BROKEN PoS INCENDIARY SHRUIKEN NINJA!!!!!!!

And I sold my copy and (tried to) never look back.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Venom 3135 said:
Read walkthroughs for survival horrors and JRPG's. Sometimes I just cannot figure out what to do and I know that if I look at one once, I'll probably end up doing it again. But there are times where I just have to use the internet (I'm relatively young and have grown up with games that nurture the player like a puppy). I fucking hate doing it because I feel it takes the fun away, but I just can't help myself sometimes.
To your credit, there was many a time playing a Final Fantasy game on Playstation, I'd get stuck for hours because the graphical layout of the land obscure the exit of room.
Yeah, I got stuck in the older RPGs for months at a time, but I persevered because online FAQs weren't a thing. Nowadays, I look stuff up at the drop of a hat. Recent trends in game design have made me soft. My 9-year-old self would shake his head in disgust.

TheGrueHunter

Jan 14, 2013
Play Bioshock on hard difficulty, with Vita-Chambers disabled. And it was on the computer, so I got no achievement for it.

Surprisingly, it went well on my first play-through; I only died about three times. On my second play-through, however, I got my ass kicked all over the place.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
RandomWhiteGuy said:
Glongpre said:
I bought Modern Warfare 2. I waited a bit, but all my friends were playing it...Ugh. Never again.
This. Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3, and Black Ops 2. And after every one I swore I would never do it again. Why must I cave to peer pressure? Also, why can't my friends play more interesting games?
Beaten to it again, although I wanted MW2 at the time but yeah...
But anyways, here's to resisting cod:dogs this year.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
I made a build in dark souls built solely around tranquil walk of peace, iron flesh, and dark magic, with four stacks of dark bead and two pursuers. It is literally like an easy button for pvp. The ganks, they just......they just became far too assholish. I mean what would you have done!? I had giantdads doing the 'well what is it?" pose and pointing down at me, me! With my fun as hell cospvp builds. So I fought the tryhards by trying even harder.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Forgive me Escapist community. I know I swore I would never do it but i'm now that massive ****** in League who builds Blue Ezreal every single game... I was nagged into trying it by my duo partner and I got a fucking penta in my TEST game. You do not have cooldowns. Your Mystic Shot is literally on full machine gun mode and it slows people.

Next thing you know i'll be playing Ragna and Jin in BlazBlue... Fucking kill me if I ever do that.

So yeah anyone got anything like that? Doesn't have to be LoL related at all.
OMG NAB IL REPOT U!!!

No, but really. . . how could you?!?!?!

OT: See above. NEVER flame/harass/teabag anyone for stuff happening in games. Except just now. And tea-bagging some guys on War of the Roses, 'cause playing with a "serious, competitive" team on their "serious" server.