Things you will always defend.

Oct 2, 2012
lRookiel said:
Stuff that's common sense like human rights, animal rights etc.

-Fluttershy is best pony and MLP is a s good show
You are now my newest favorite person on the Escapist.
Fluttershy is best pony and you know it :D

OT: The things I would always defend? Hmmm, well the biggest one is the right for any person to say whatever they want, write whatever they want or believe whatever they want [Note: Not however, for a person to do whatever they want] even if I disagree/the majority of the world disagrees.
I am not a fan of censorship of any kind really and would only tolerate it in the most extreme of circumstances.

Other things:
-LGBT+ rights
-Equality among sexes and races
-Supporting the poor and homeless people
-Science, technology, Human advancement
-Proper education of the populace
-Probably some other things that I don't remember right now cuz sleepy.

But on these here forums I try my hardest to have a good time and not take anything seriously ever.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
KingsGambit said:
Colour-Scientist said:
I'll always try to defend women's rights and feminism IRL, I think some sections of the Internet aren't worth the energy.
Can't stand feminism or feminists myself. I would certainly never defend it; if anything I think it's long outlived its usefulness and has now been twisted into a farce of what the movement originally stood for.
Shock, horror.

Let me guess, you think that now most feminists want superiority over men or some bollox like that.
Please, enlighten me as to how you formed your opinion. What feminist works have you read or how many have you actually spoken to, rather than just listening to people talk about them?

Actually, dude, do you know what? I don't care why you think that because I'm sure I've heard the same, tired old story a million times on this very site. Lots of opinions on the feminist movement, very little knowledge of the feminist movement.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
Faith and skepticism. Anything that drives a human being to explore and discover should not be frowned upon, no matter if it's motivated by religious belief, the will to disprove something or just pure curiosity. Thus, none of it shall ever have to be repressed.

Non-violence. No one should ever have to hurt another human being in order to feel satisfied or to achieve some dogmatic goal. That kind of stuff can only work in fiction.

Globalization. The interests of entire mankind should always come before the interests of a specific country. I don't give single fuck if Sweden is losing its national identity or being "invaded" by immigrants. No nation is an island, figuratively speaking.Om ni nu vill slippa en massa invandrare fraan Irak och Somalia, kanske ni ska arbeta foer att goera de laenderna till hoegfunktionerande demokratier.

Playing video games as a legitimate and redeeming hobby. I think this one needs no explanation.

Playing video games alone as a legitimate and redeeming hobby. See above. Especially EA has to learn this.

Sex positivism on a societal level, and sex positiv-/negativ-/neutralism on a personal level. Darken12 explained it better than i ever could.

The absence of anarchy and hierarchy. The chaos of our universe isn't something to be abused or constrained, it's all a massive amount of patterns, waiting to be unfolded and understood.

The enlightenment. I will always prefer it over romanticism, except in a few minor cases which are the exception rather than the rule.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
KingsGambit said:
Colour-Scientist said:
I'll always try to defend women's rights and feminism IRL, I think some sections of the Internet aren't worth the energy.
Can't stand feminism or feminists myself. I would certainly never defend it; if anything I think it's long outlived its usefulness and has now been twisted into a farce of what the movement originally stood for.
Shock, horror.

Let me guess, you think that now most feminists want superiority over men or some bollox like that.
Please, enlighten me as to how you formed your opinion. What feminist works have you read or how many have you actually spoken to, rather than just listening to people talk about them?

Actually, dude, do you know what? I don't care why you think that because I'm sure I've heard the same, tired old story a million times on this very site. Lots of opinions on the feminist movement, very little knowledge of the feminist movement.
I'm going to take a wild guess that he has a poor view of feminism for the same reason that most others do. The vocal minority making the rest of the movement look bad. Hell, I'm affected by it and I support equality. When someone says feminist my first thought is of a million and one internet posts of 'PATRIACHY, MALE OPPRESSION, RAPE CULTURE' about really trivial shit. I know that's wrong and feminism is actually a good cause but that's the association that's been burned into my mind by idiots on the internet. To be honest, I think both Masculism and Feminism need to be rolled into one Equality movement, they confront different issues, yes, but they both want the same end goal.

[small]Hah, listen to me, pretending I understand any of this societal bullshit...[/small]

KingKickass

Oct 8, 2012
Freedom of speech; and not the bullshit "free" speech America has now, but true free speech where I can say what I want, when I want, and nobody can do a damn thing about it. The fact that we have the FCC shows how scared the government is of offending people and not being "politically correct" about certain issues. I get that people can get offended over certain topics or statements made by other people and they have a right to feel offense, but that doesn't mean I have to change what I'm saying or someone else has to change what their saying to pander to the offended party. You have a right to be able to be offended and I have a right to be the offender and speak my mind and opinions.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
HoneyVision said:
Who said I was intending them to be antonyms? But it's very reassuring to know that you know your prefixes well.

As for the tax issue, my government takes enormous taxes from people's wages (as well as Goods tax) and puts them into certain things that either no one or a very small percentage of the country benefits from. Which is the very epitome of impracticality.
I wasn't correcting your wording, I was implying that 'acceptance' gives me a lot less positive associations than 'tolerance' (like blind ignorance and accepting of defeat).

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I usually, if I chime in at all, have something to say about animals and animal rights.

I will always defend animals, because they have no voice of their own, I suppose.

It's a hard row to hoe, but it usually comes before almost all other topics to defend.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Father Time said:
Squilookle said:
I will probably always defend Goldeneye as having stood the test of time.

Don't get me wrong, I recognise as much as anyone that the multiplayer is -by modern standards- positively barren by comparison, but the singleplayer is still some of the finest, expertly crafted gameplay of the FPS genre. People tend to forget that the game even has a singleplayer, let alone that it's one of the tightest, most fluid controlling, challenging and rewarding singleplayer games out there.

Oh, and for anyone about to say it's just nostalgia goggles; shut up. Just shut up. That label immediately assumes someone hasn't played the game for years. Well I play it often and always have. I had a good 3 hour session with it just today. It is just as fun now as it was when it came out, and only ever gets better compared to current shooters -in particular current Bond shooters- that fail to deliver as complete a package as it did.
I tried GoldenEye for the first time a couple years ago and my first thoughts were "this seems like a primitive version of Timesplitters".

And then I wanted to play Timesplitters instead. So I'm wondering if you've ever played those games.

I didn't get to play a ton of the single player, but I think I tried it.
Goldeneye pretty much is the forerunner to Timesplitters. Half the people who made Goldeneye went on to make the Timesplitters games, which is why they play so similarly to each other.

In some ways, both are more primitive than the other. Timesplitters, especially later games, blows Goldeneye's multiplayer out of the water, but with the possible exception of Future Perfect, Timesplitters has never had a solo campaign even close to the quality of Goldeneye and it's spiritual sucessor Perfect Dark.

So yes, I have played them, and I enjoy Timesplitters very much to this day :)

I still prefer Goldeneye for my singleplayer jollies however.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Also feminism, which to me means opposing unfair gender discrimination of all kinds.
Then wouldn't that be equality? Feminism always sounds "women>men" to me, equality is a quick way to say everybody (male, female, straight, gay, a-sexual, bi, black, white, Asian, brown etc).

Which is what I will defend, equality. I don't see why any one person should be considered any less for whatever they are, whether it's gay people marrying or transsexuals not being afraid to say "I was X but I am now Y".

Did I just make a chromosome pun?