Things you would own or be into if it wasn't so popular

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
There are many people who turn away from things when they become too popular, but realize that if it wasn't for the fame of the things in question they would most likely want it or be into it.

Example: I would probably have gotten an Ipod, I recognize that it's a fine music product, but seeing so many people walking around with them automatically turned me away from it.

What popular things have you turned away from because of it's popularity? (music can be included as well)

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I think thats a pretty bad reason to turn something down, as generally if the majority like it, its because it is good.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
the beatles, it may sound odd but if they weren't feted on a near god like level i would probably be more inclined to accept that they're actually good, because they are good really, it just bugs me how they're considered the best ever when they just aren't.
also converse shoes, if it wasn't for all the fashion victim indie kids walking around in plaid shirts, skinny jeans and converses i probably would have bought a pair by now; i actually quite like them

elemenetal150

Nov 25, 2008
needausername said:
I think thats a pretty bad reason to turn something down, as generally if the majority like it, its because it is good.
I agree rebelling against something just to be different is pretty pathetic there is a reason some things are popular. I'm not saying that i jump on the band wagon every time a new product comes out but I will say that I have a zune and while they are not as popular they are super great. I don't get any apple products because for some reason they hate me and always break and act crappy. Microsoft products on the other hand love me (proof I have a first shipment xbox 360 and it still works like it was the first day, never had to get it fixed for any reason)

Crayton

Feb 12, 2008
It is very very important to us that we are cool. For some that means having the latest and greatest whatever. We typically ascribe ourselves to some identity or pattern because we see it as cool. Some see whatever is popular as being cool. Others seek cool by going counter to culture and popularity.

Whatever you do, do it well and with all your being. Rocking out in the way that only you can is way cool.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
No, I thinks thats stupid, although some may not, I do and I have never given up on any part of what made me, me. Like rap music, just because a multitude of people like the genre dosent mean I will automaticaly not like it or ever stop liking it. Same goes with people disliking something

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I like things based on what I think of them. Everyone I know has an iPod and I love mine. If I was the only one in my school who had one, I'd still love it. I like Mirror's Edge even though so many people hated it. People don't control me.

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
When the bluetooth earpieces first came out I wanted one very much, but as I saw more and more self-absorbed dickspurts come through my store yelling at someone or having very private conversations while trying to pay for their gas, I couldn't imagine myself having one of those things attached to my ear.

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
I base my spending based on what I like, not what is or isn't popular.

I know people who won't buy something because it's popular or it's not popular enough. Regardless of whether it's the best quality or worst.

For instance - I own a BMW. Not because they seem to be popular cars, but because I got it for below market value and the car is perfect for my needs.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Man, people like you really annoy me.
Find a real reason to dislike something, not just to be a 'non-conformist' or whatever. Try not to be such a robot; form your own opinions about things and then decide whether its good or not.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I think this only works with clothes. Namely Converse Allstars, which I wore for many years before the indie kids got started on them, and not wanting to be afiliated I switched to an equally great pair of Globes.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
I love my iPod like a child, mostly because before I got it, I had to haul around cds and a walkman in order to listen to music I like. And that sucked.
The problem inherit in counter-culturism (did I just make that up? eveyone start using it NOW!!) is that in belonging to that "movement" you are either giving up
a) new technology
b) convenience, or
c) all of the above
in order to be unique or whatever the motivation is.
(Not that being unique is a bad thing.)
EDIT: I just read a post made while I was typing, and it pointed out that, in joining the "non-conformist" group, you are yourself sticking a rather arbitrary label to yourself, and conforming to a certain group and/or personality/personal taste "club". The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife. (And if that's not the definition of "irony", I don't care.)

implodingMan

Apr 9, 2008
Um.. nothing? If something is popular and good I join in, if something is popular and bad then I ignore it.

Incidentally I was within the first 5 people at my high school to get an ipod when they came out, so I am immune to accusations of bandwagoning.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
hmm, i might actually give Twilight a read, but i've sworn off it.. same with Star Wars movies... and Halo.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
No one dictates what I do and don't like but me. I do generally stray from popular video games the more constant the theme and style becomes across the board. I guess then you could say I avoid copycats and "me too" titles.

There are popular things that I still like, for instance Dragonball and Final Fantasy, but it's the hardcore fanboys/girls that kill it for me. With Final Fantasy for instance, if it comes up in conversation with people, they automatically think I'm only talking about FF7 as if there are no other titles in this largely NUMBERED series. Number one, I don't believe it deserves the level of "fan-tard" praise it gets. Number two, to paraphrase Yahtzee, fan-tards can all go dive under a tractor.

As for Dragonball, I was watching this series LONG before it was popular. Consequently, this variety of fan-tards are the same people that wanted a live-action film for so long and, now that they're getting that, don't want to see it for a long list of asinine reasons. In fact, I may be prompted to like the film just because it will no doubt annoy some of them to see someone happy about it.

Beyond that, nothing else comes to mind.

sirsolo

Jan 10, 2009
For me it's mostly bands. Beatles, Guns N Roses, Pink Floyd, and the like. I can listen to them, They have good songs, But people push so hard for them to be more popular than they already Are, that I just resist that much more.

To be fair tho, I'm slowly slipping into it. I have my reasons... *shifty eyes*

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
AkJay said:
hmm, i might actually give Twilight a read, but i've sworn off it.. same with Star Wars movies... and Halo.
Wait, you've never seen A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the Jedi? Cultural touchstone, man, you don't have to have anything to do with the new ones but those are mandatory. As to ignoring Halo, it's a solid series with good balance and endlessly entertaining physics that were ahead of the mainstream in their time.

Me, I'm not getting into headhunting. Because, you know, once they started selling the spears and skinning knives in Cabela's and the loincloths at Hot Topic, there was no way I would want myself confused with all the posers.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
ygetoff said:
I love my iPod like a child, mostly because before I got it, I had to haul around cds and a walkman in order to listen to music I like. And that sucked.
The problem inherit in counter-culturism (did I just make that up? eveyone start using it NOW!!) is that in belonging to that "movement" you are either giving up
a) new technology
b) convenience, or
c) all of the above
in order to be unique or whatever the motivation is.
(Not that being unique is a bad thing.)
I do take pride in being unique but I do so in ways that contribute practically to my life, not hinder it. I also once heard the phrase "Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you're useful." Personally, I feel that I am immune to that phrase because part of my uniqueness brings humor and happiness to my friends.

About your Walkman remark, I had to chuckle a little as I used to haul a Walkman around and a pocket full of cassette tapes, this being when the Walkman name was only synonymous with audio tapes. Hehehe. But perhaps I shouldn't say "used to." I do still have a handful of perfectly working cassette Walkman's and tapes that I take to places sometimes. But that's personal preference, not avoiding a popular trend. I'm still out and about with my music, aren't I? ;)