Thinking of building myself a computer - any advice?

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
Ok so I finally decided to try myself at building my own PC as opposed to buying a pre built one, since it's my first time I figured I'd go ahead and have my design looked over by "the community" to spot any blatant oversights on my part before going ahead and dropping the cash.

So here it goes, any advice is welcome, but I'd rather not exceed the current price by too much (I was originally gunning for a bit less even)

CPU:
Intel Core i5-2500K

CPU Cooling:
Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo

MotherBoard:
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
RAM:
Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (2x4Gb)

Graphics Card:
MSI N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC
=> is it possible/advisable to OC this, or will this give negligible benefits for the hassle it'll take?

Casing:
Aerocool X-Warrior Black Edition

Power:
Aerocool E85M-550 (550W)

DVD-R/RW/DL:
Sony Optiarc AD-7280S-0B

Monitor:
LG IPS235V-BN (23" 1920x1080)

Hard Disks:
1xSamsung 2TB HD204UI (Barracuda 5400rpm)
=> This one for data storage, such as music, video, downloads etc.
1xSamsung 1TB HD103SJ (Spinpoint F3 7200rpm)
=> For Storing my games and application installs
1xOCZ 60Gb SSD OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G
=> for the OS (30b for windows, 30 for Linux in dual boot)
So, any toughts?

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
If you intend to get an Ivy Bridge CPU (Corei3/5/7 3xxx) get a Z77 board. The P67 might support the Ivy CPUs, but it likely won't ship with the necessary BIOS update, requiring you to get your hands on an older Sandy Bridge CPU to get the BIOS updated.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Not much that can really be added but here goes.

SSD is a no brainer, they are cheap enough and as an OS drive it really is total win. I use the same Samsung F3s in Raid 0 for my game and storage purposes combined with an OCZ Vertex 2 as my OS drive and well they are great. The Samsungs are almost as fast as the SSD only thing that annoys me is that when they go in to power save mode they take a few moments to spin up. A bit annoying when everything from the SSD loads instantly.

550W PSU should be fine, I was wondering on weather to upgrade from my 560GTX to a 670GTX on the basis that I was running a Corsair 540W PSU. That issue was solved when my 5 year old Corsair 540W died on me. The moral of the story, well I haven't heard of the Aerocool brand, at least not in the PSU context the import thing about a PSU is that it has to be good, not only will it make your PC rock stable but if it does go south a decent PSU is less likely to take other stuff with it. I can't recommend every brand what I will go with is Corsair and Seasonic but do some research, find out how often the brand fails, what they have done if they have failed and how stable they are under load.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
Just a few general tips:

#1 - Get help!
Not just advice from someone, but someone to help you actually build it in-person and who knows what to do. Especially since it'd be you first rig, this aid is invaluable; some parts are quite sensitive to static shocks (the processor) and/or a pain-in-the-ass (the thermal conducting paste for the processor and the heat sink), so the value having that extra person there to help as you do it and guide you can not be understated.

#2 - Start with the motherboard and/or processor.
The motherboard is the one component which every part of the rig will plug into, so it's more or less a no-brainer. Your specs and limitations will be closely tied to it. This goes hand-in-hand with the processor, as each motherboard can usually only support only one type of processor configuration. Just make sure they match.

#3 - Get a decent case.
This is something of a long-term investment advice, but the only piece of your rig which will endure almost indefinitely is the case it sits in; in other words, it's unlikely to become outdated. If you get a large one (if it can support E-ATX motherboards, it probably can support any kind of motherboard) with good air flow, you're more or less set.

#4 - Get a decent power supply.
This is again for the long-term, though less so than the case. Gaming is more taxing on PCs than many of the other functions, and running options like SLI, Crossfire, RAID, and TRIM (basically SSD-RAID) are especially taxing on the power supply. Get one which can support a much larger watt output (600W would be about minimum, 700+W is better) and you'll be ready to try those out if it ever comes to pass.

#5 - Get both an SSD and an HDD.
The SSD is your "system" harddrive, install your operating system off of it and watch your PC boot up in a matter of seconds. These things are crazy-fast for the access speeds.... but their storage space is quite lacking (if you want an reasonably priced one, that is); get at least a 60 GB one, though going for double that isn't going to break the bank. HDDs are slower, but can hold significantly more data; 1 TB is both easy to acquire and afforable, and you can easily go for more. Where to put your games is a matter of how much space they take, and unfortunately programs like Steam don't quite offer the option to store games on multiple drives; I'd suggest the HDD for Steam and such, but games with individual installs can go wherever you see fit

#6 - Get better-than-stock cooling for your processor.
This is mostly because the heat sink processor come packaged with (and why the box they come in weighs as much as it does) is often... lacklustre. It doesn't have to be liquid cooling (though there are nice pre-assembled ones for that), just better than that tiny piece of steel(?) the processor comes with; it's also often not that expensive.

#7 - Get as much RAM as you can get.
Compared to other parts on your system... RAM is cheap, really cheap. However, it's also plays a large role in performance; so getting more of it is a good idea. ~$100 for 16GB is fairly common (and maybe a bit on the expensive side, as far as RAM goes), while most stock PCs have less than half of that (and it shows).

#8 - The graphics card is quite possibly the least important part of your future rig, but it will be one of the most expensive.
To be perfectly honest, I think too much value is placed on graphics cards these days; the increases in performance they offer is nowhere near the increase in price, and the top models are often far more costly than they should be. If you have to cut the budget on anything, go for the graphics card. You still want to get a nice one though, assuming you'll be playing games on your PC; just remember that the the cost-to-benefit ratio isn't very good with top-end cards, that and you can always upgrade later without much trouble. In the case of EVGA's cards, get the "Ti Superclocked" versions if you can; these cards are more expensive than the stock versions (not by much), but are over-clocked out of the box (and come with built-in cooling on the card itself) and usually put out more than double the amount of VRAM stated on the box. Mine's rated at 4GB (I think, been a while since I checked), while the box says only 1GB; this is on a GTX 560 Ti.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Just to pick some things in Abhorent's post

#4 - Get a decent power supply.
This is again for the long-term, though less so than the case. Gaming is more taxing on PCs than many of the other functions, and running options like SLI, Crossfire, RAID, and TRIM (basically SSD-RAID)
Forget SLI and Crossfire, in theory it sounds good but more often than not the results are not worth the hassle, it is usually quicker and better to just upgrade to whatever the next gen of GPU is.

TRIM is not SSD Raid, SSD RAID is RAID. Trim, if you want a comparative is more akin to defragging your HD but for your SSD. In basic terms it is a system that tells your OS which sections of the SSD are free to be overwritten and should automatically be run once you install and set up your SSD.

#7 - Get as much RAM as you can get.
8gig is fine for RAM anything more is a waste of cash. Have had 8gig in my system with a disabled page file for almost a year now and nothing has come close to filling it

Mine's rated at 4GB (I think, been a while since I checked), while the box says only 1GB; this is on a GTX 560 Ti.
No body does a 4gig version of the 560Ti, besides 4gig on any card is a waste of time especially so on a last gen mid range card. 2gig is usually enough unless you happen to have a 680GTX and are running a full HD texture set in Skyrim.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
If you're going for the 2500k, go for a p67, if it's a 3500, go for a z77.

8GB is plenty of RAM.

you will need a bigger PSU than that ONLY IF YOU'RE ADDING A SECOND GPU XD

Also, go for a decent brand. Do silverstone do PSUs near you?

Kepler has a great TDP advantage over Fermi in that it's lighter on the power usage.

Also get a decent case. I can recommend anything by NZXT =D

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Looks like you got everything covered, so here are some finer points of advice that will help greatly, but have little to do with specifications.

Buy cable ties. Keep it organized when you first set it up, and you can keep it organized until you have to take it out again. Cable management is a *****, and I probably spent more time trying to fit all my cables neatly into the nooks and crannies of my case and desk than I did actually building it.

Buy this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4ZOAW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 Once you build your own system you realize how much more you care about dust, temperature, cleanliness, etc. etc. Canned air is expensive as hell, and this baby will last you years.

Don't be afraid to force some parts. When putting RAM into the slots, lining up the heatsink to the CPU, getting your graphics card in, sometimes it will be a tight fit. Obviously you don't want to snap something, but being too gentle will only make you more and more nervous. RAM especially so. As long as nothing is obviously going to snap don't be afraid of being a little rough with your parts. It will save you time and stress if you stop worrying about every little creak and bend that occurs.

And never overreact to something not working or an error happening. As it is with everyone who spends a lot of money on a project they're invested in, you start freaking out over every little thing. If your display doesn't show, or an error message appears, or some random BSOD occurs, it's usually a really simple issue that has no real effect on the rest of the system. I can't tell you how many times I reseated my heatsink because I thought my CPU was overheating and causing my system to slow down.

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
So basically I swap out the i5-3550 for an i5-2500K, and add replace the stock cooling with... what? I have absolutely no idea what to look for in CPU cooling.

I originally tought to avoid having an SSD by using the spinpoints in RAID0 (almost double the access speeds in that configuration IIRC) because for the same price I get like 10x the storage space.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Just remember to use the correct number of standoffs when installing your motherboard. One of the most common mistakes for new builders is placing in too many, causing them to create shorts and fry your board.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I like the build overall.

Just a couple things... For one, 3TB of HDD space is massive. I don't know what you plan to do with this PC, but I've got quite a few movies, music, pictures, games, etc, and I don't use anywhere near 1TB even. So I'd suggest maybe a 1TB drive for media, and then maybe RAID 0 a pair of 500GB drives for programs. Definitely a good idea to partition it.

An SSD is a great investment, although there's a decent alternative. The Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drives are actually really good. If you were to RAID 0 those (I'm assuming that's supported with them) as the OS/programs drive then it would be very very fast as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/momentus-xt-750gb-review,3223.html

As for the OCing, I definitely recommend getting an OC capable CPU. Don't worry about a cooler or OCing right now, but maybe after you build it you will want to try it out. Even if you don't, in a year or two you might feel like your CPU could use an upgrade, and boosting a 2500k from 3.6 to 4.5ghz is a very nice upgrade, and super easy.

Also that monitor - looks like it will be very nice, but just as an FYI a GTX 670 is very powerful for only pushing 1920x1080 pixels. So you'll easily max games out on that for a while yet to come, but you may consider going straight to a 2560x1440 monitor like a Dell U2711, HP ZR2740W, or Samsung S27A850D.

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
Ok so i decided to switch to the i5-2500K with a Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo for cooling.

Also, I realise that 4Tb is a massive amount of storage, it's just that getting a 2 500Gb to put in raid only costs marginally less, so I went for the obscene amount for just a fraction of the price more (Tb HDDs are cheap these days, costing only 15-20% more then a 300Gb drive...). With this in mind, and the fact that I'll probably partition the OS drive to be very small (like 50Gb max) I think making a backup image of the entire system bartition wouldn't be that hard. That way I won't have to worry as much about 1 drive crashing and taking the other with it (and my 'data' will be stored on the seperate 2Tb drive to mitigate this even more), all I'll lose is the installed games, which is just a matter of re-installing.

I don't think paying for an overpriced SSD is worth it when I can have A 2Tb RAID0 configuration which in theory isn't all that much slower, but sports 5-6 times the storage space. That is, unless the RAID0 configuration is not quite as performant as I hope it to be (I know it'll be slower, but how much?)

EDIT:
Laughing Man said:
SSD is a no brainer, they are cheap enough and as an OS drive it really is total win. I use the same Samsung F3s in Raid 0 for my game and storage purposes combined with an OCZ Vertex 2 as my OS drive and well they are great. The Samsungs are almost as fast as the SSD only thing that annoys me is that when they go in to power save mode they take a few moments to spin up. A bit annoying when everything from the SSD loads instantly.
Guess I'll have to chunk in an SSD drive after all:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?248560-Ssd-vs-hdd-raid-0-vs-single-hdd-comparison
Would a 60Gb SSD suffice (eg. OCZ OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G) (split up in 2 parts of 30 for Windows and Linux Dual boot)?

EDIT2:
Laughing Man said:
550W PSU should be fine, I was wondering on weather to upgrade from my 560GTX to a 670GTX on the basis that I was running a Corsair 540W PSU. That issue was solved when my 5 year old Corsair 540W died on me. The moral of the story, well I haven't heard of the Aerocool brand, at least not in the PSU context the import thing about a PSU is that it has to be good, not only will it make your PC rock stable but if it does go south a decent PSU is less likely to take other stuff with it. I can't recommend every brand what I will go with is Corsair and Seasonic but do some research, find out how often the brand fails, what they have done if they have failed and how stable they are under load.
Looking into the PSU a bit further, I decided to switch to the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W which appearently gets better reviews for the same price