Thinking of getting back into Warhammer...

Durzo_Blint

Apr 7, 2011
I'm thinking of getting back into Warhammer 40k, but haven't played it in over 12 years. When I was a kid I collected the Dark Angels, but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions of a good army to collect and the best way to get started.

FWIW I'll be collecting them more to assemble and paint than actually battle, at least at first.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Well, I was always told for just go something you think looks cool, hence why I'm a big fan of the Grey Knights. Check out figures online, see what's looking good nowadays.

Also check out the Dark Vengeance set, I've not got it but heard pretty good stuff. It's got a load of Dark Angel and chaos miniatures, with a few extra bits and bats all for a reasonable price. I don't think paint is included (naturally), but it's still a pretty good deal.

The tyranids also look pretty cool, but I've heard from my friend that between miniatures and paint they can get expensive very quickly. Yeah, just check out their website and see what looks awesome.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Durzo_Blint said:
I'm thinking of getting back into Warhammer 40k, but haven't played it in over 12 years. When I was a kid I collected the Dark Angels, but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions of a good army to collect and the best way to get started.

FWIW I'll be collecting them more to assemble and paint than actually battle, at least at first.
Well, be shocked as to how prices have sky-rocketed. At the moment, I'm just getting LE collectibles since I don't get much time to play battles, so this...

Zantos said:
Also check out the Dark Vengeance set, I've not got it but heard pretty good stuff. It's got a load of Dark Angel and chaos miniatures, with a few extra bits and bats all for a reasonable price. I don't think paint is included (naturally), but it's still a pretty good deal.
... is a good place to start. It fits in to what you collected, though the miniatures sculpted style has changed a lot since 2000, and I mean, a lot. Gawd, I remember third ed miniatures and they look positively weird to current gamers.

Anyway, for the hobbying side, the Dark Vengeance set is great because you get a limited edition Company Master and Librarian, both of whom (but particularly the former) look freakin' awesome. Unfortunately, you can't get much of a bitz-box out of the parts so customising isn't that viable from the set, but if you like painting, it's more than enough as a start. Just no vehicles, unfortunately (unless you count the Chaos Dreadnought).

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I'm a massive fan of Witch Hunters. Some pretty crazy and fun models to paint if you ask me! Exorcist Tank, Throne of Judgement, Retinue unit, What's-her-face. The list goes on.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, as mentioned, the models are massively more expensive. Also, the fluff is crap nowdays, but if you are collecting to collect, that's not an issue.

Oh, and they've changed the paints a few times.

You know dark angels green, the dark green colour that dark angels painted their stuff with? They changed it so it wasn't dark green anymore...it's in the fucking name! They retconned away the colour of dark angel's armour for no go reason...then they dropped all the old paints altogether and moved onto new ones.

Oh, and they've got rid of metal, and gone on to resin, which is rubbish. Should have gone to all plastic.