Third Sony Attack Thwarted, Sony May Offer Cash Rewards for Info

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
ZombieGenesis said:
Richard Allen said:
ZombieGenesis said:
I'm pretty sure people need to accept that these hackers aren't going to stop. They don't really have much of a purpose, it's a real 'we can' mentality. Probably the first attempt at actually bringing down a company through cyber bullying, in a sense.
Still not sure whether to put the blame on the Anon group for this, my bet is a variety of hackers just thought it a good statement against Sony's bad policies. Then of course they realised they were winning... now I doubt they'll stop unless a) they get taken out or b) Sony crumbles.

Neither are looking very likely though.
Oh yes poooor old sony, getting cyber bullied for no reason at all, pooor sony.
Sigh, it had to be said.
I'm not saying they didn't deserve it.
But did the customers on PSN deserve it? Hell no.
Fair enough, I just can't help myself when I see all this whining about how poor sony, and you ended up being the target hehe.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
nukethetuna said:
Do all hackers get tattoos of weird letters and numbers and symbols on their face?
That's meant to be the reflection of a monitor glowing on their faces (It's a ad photo for a movie called "Hackers" if you didn't know that came out in the 90's.)

Why would the same hackers who did the 1st and/or 2nd attack need to do a third to beable to release user information and or credit card codes if they've gotten them from either of the other strikes.Not to mention saying they would be doing so before hand,I think only people with alternate motives would announce an attack like that would be to just grief Sony and never actually attacked them.

Only two types of people give up the element of surprise People with a code of honor or fools.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Richard Allen said:
ZombieGenesis said:
I'm pretty sure people need to accept that these hackers aren't going to stop. They don't really have much of a purpose, it's a real 'we can' mentality. Probably the first attempt at actually bringing down a company through cyber bullying, in a sense.
Still not sure whether to put the blame on the Anon group for this, my bet is a variety of hackers just thought it a good statement against Sony's bad policies. Then of course they realised they were winning... now I doubt they'll stop unless a) they get taken out or b) Sony crumbles.

Neither are looking very likely though.
Oh yes poooor old sony, getting cyber bullied for no reason at all, pooor sony.
Sigh, it had to be said.
At the end of the day its the little people who pay for this kind of stuff not the corps.

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Sober Thal said:
allistairp said:
I don't think CNET would work with Sony and put their reputation on the line for Sony's benefit.
I don't think hackers work with CNET. But you do, eh?
That's what they are claiming and it's not hard for me to believe. So, a journalist gets access to a chatroom filled with hackers -- big deal? Criminals, virtual or otherwise, like it when they receive attention from the media. As long as they remain anonymous, what do they have to lose?

In any case, it seems that whoever that person was they were an amateur.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Good on you, Sony. Now if only you can track these people down so we can crush them into a a fine red mist.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
I think that this "Third Attack" was a hoax on Sony's part to re-establish at least some of it's credit that they can protect people's info.
It sure reeks of this, doesn't it? All of a sudden one of these infamous hackers decides to tell a reporter that another attack is imminent?

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/291/a/7/hurf_a_derf_by_brandon1337-d3121g2.jpg

But then Sony's response with their awesome new security - knowing when an attack would come - rather than attempting to locate the intruders or perhaps pinpoint the source of its breach, was to... take the server offline?

Yeah, that's a real confidence-booster right there.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
I think that this "Third Attack" was a hoax on Sony's part to re-establish at least some of it's credit that they can protect people's info.
That was the first thing I thought. I just don't buy this as legit.

I guess I could see the hackers bragging and boasting, threatening a third strike after their first two went so well, but I just don't think this was the real deal.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow! It would seem like they're finally learning! This, if not fabricated by Sony, at least gives me more confidence in Sony. It could always just be a bluff by Sony to make me think this way. This whole thing has made me suspicious.
EDIT: Aw man, I thought I was alone in my paranoia :(

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i really don't care if this was staged of not, at this point this bull shit
NEEDS
TO
FUCKING
STOP
end of story

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Harbinger_ said:
You do realise CNET and Sony aren't the same thing, right?
I do but you do realize that Sony claimed that they had heard about a third attack coming up as well, right?

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Harbinger_ said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Harbinger_ said:
I do but you do realize that Sony claimed that they had heard about a third attack coming up as well, right?
Meaning that they managed to hear about it the same way as CNET. What you're suggesting is that Sony made this thing up, then this news travelled back in time and implanted itself into an IRC chat a CNET employee was watching.
Not necessarily what I am suggesting as Sony had mentioned it to begin with is that CNET ran with what Sony had said and a CNET employee made the ridiculous claim seen above.

Jou

Dec 9, 2007
Harbinger_ said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Harbinger_ said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Harbinger_ said:
Meaning that they managed to hear about it the same way as CNET. What you're suggesting is that Sony made this thing up, then this news travelled back in time and implanted itself into an IRC chat a CNET employee was watching.
Not necessarily what I am suggesting as Sony had mentioned it to begin with is that CNET ran with what Sony had said and a CNET employee made the ridiculous claim seen above.
I think it was as stated before. CNET employee thinking they came upon a secret hideout of elite hackers and then getting trolled. Sony, knowing their security sucks balls pulls down more of its servers and gets trolled along with CNET.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Jou said:
I think it was as stated before. CNET employee thinking they came upon a secret hideout of elite hackers and then getting trolled. Sony, knowing their security sucks balls pulls down more of its servers and gets trolled along with CNET.
I don't think Sony are really in a position to dismiss threats. Plus they were going to patch all their servers eventually anyway, one would assume so at least so it's not like they wouldn't have taken the server down anyway.