Third X-Men: DOFP Trailer Brings Mutants, Mayhem

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
The trailer looks good but there are a lot of questions hanging around this movie. First, how is Charles Xavier able to walk again? Second, will all of these new mutants like Blink and Bishop get a fair amount of screen time or will they get barely a minute or two before the movie goes "Hope you got your money's worth, folks, cause that is a wrap for these mutants"? Also, how will Quicksilver be portrayed in this movie? Is he gonna be Magneto's son or are they going to fudge with the cannon on this? If he is gonna be his son, shouldn't there be a bigger age difference between the two or am I missing something?

I'm trying to give X-Men: Days of Future's Past a chance. Just hope this doesn't turn into a major pooch-screw.

Feb 28, 2008
I miss the vast sentinels of the animation, even if they would be ridiculously cumbersome in real life. Those things were intimidating!

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
I miss the vast sentinels of the animation, even if they would be ridiculously cumbersome in real life. Those things were intimidating!
Not really. What was intimidating was the fact that these suckers were built at an alarming rate and had custiomized iterations just to combat specific powersets.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
El Luck said:
I could just imagine it now...Avengers VS X-men.
That actually happened in the comics:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Avengers_vs._X-Men_(Event)

While this trailer did get me interested in the movie again, I'm still worried that it will be "Wolverine and the X-men," as opposed to the, imo, better X-Men First Class that didn't have Wolverine in the mix. I think Wolverine being absent allows the other characters more room to grow/have more developed personalities.

This also looks like a mash-up of fan service, "cool! Did you see that? They had that guy I like do that thing he does" moments.

Feb 28, 2008
Creedsareevil said:
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
Not really. What was intimidating was the fact that these suckers were built at an alarming rate and had custiomized iterations just to combat specific powersets.
Intimidating v. frightening. Efficiency of production doesn't intimidate. And it's all subjective anyway ... I found them intimidating because of their size, and so did most of the X-men if I remember ...

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Why even pretend there's continuity if you're just going to change whatever you want whenever it's convenient? See: Beast not being blue, Xavier walking, Mystique being good again, Magneto in prison?

I hope this is at least mediocre.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Scribblesense said:
Why even pretend there's continuity if you're just going to change whatever you want whenever it's convenient? See: Beast not being blue, Xavier walking, Mystique being good again, Magneto in prison?

I hope this is at least mediocre.
I don't think that's fair. A lot of it is easily explained. First, I'm not a fan of the Wolverine movies or the Last Stand. However:

- Beast being blue: he's a scientist. The same way he made a "cure" that turned him blue in the first place, he could have made a vaccine to undo it

- Xavier walking: First Class never said that he was completely paralyzed. We see him in a wheelchair at the end, but that could have been during his recovery. Or, someone may have invented some sort of cybernetic prosthetic for him

- Mystique being good: she could have had a falling out with Erik over the way things ended with Charles. Xavier was her only friend for a very long time, and while she acted in the heat of the moment when he was crippled, she could have felt that Magneto was crazier than she realized, and left him

- Magneto in prison: and then he is freed. What's the problem? How does him being in prison affect the continuity when the trailer shows that he is then freed?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I really enjoyed the trailer, way different vibe compared to the other two.

Except for X3 I enjoyed all of the X-Men movies so I am very looking forward to this one. I bet it's going to be epic!

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
Every trailer they put out makes me more apprehensive. I hate the sentinels. I hate the change of directors. I hate the character designs (laughably absurd rocket chair notwithstanding). I miss the tone and direction First Class set up the Xmen franchise to take. Now, since Bryan Singer just HAD to have his franchise back it looks like First Class will just be one of maybe two bright spots on a boring poorly constructed series.

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
tdylan said:
- Magneto in prison: and then he is freed. What's the problem? How does him being in prison affect the continuity when the trailer shows that he is then freed?
Magneto was free by the end of First Class.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Somehow these trailers have felt... incomplete in a way. It was very obvious from the dialogue that it was patched from different sentences, not whole lines. Kinda amateurish if you ask me.

And I wonder how much of the plot they just revealed in this trailer? How much is there still left unseen? First Class was awesome but now I'm not so sure how this one looks.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
legend forge said:
tdylan said:
Yes, but who is to say that he didn't do something between first class and future past to get him locked up? He was "free," at the end of first class, but also a wanted man.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Mr. Q said:
The trailer looks good but there are a lot of questions hanging around this movie. First, how is Charles Xavier able to walk again? Second, will all of these new mutants like Blink and Bishop get a fair amount of screen time or will they get barely a minute or two before the movie goes "Hope you got your money's worth, folks, cause that is a wrap for these mutants"? Also, how will Quicksilver be portrayed in this movie? Is he gonna be Magneto's son or are they going to fudge with the cannon on this? If he is gonna be his son, shouldn't there be a bigger age difference between the two or am I missing something?

I'm trying to give X-Men: Days of Future's Past a chance. Just hope this doesn't turn into a major pooch-screw.
I think these are all good points. On the subject of the characters getting screen time, I'm leaning towards them getting only a cameo like appearance. I doubt they'll take the time to fully flesh out anyone aside from the big players. A few lines and perhaps someone actually saying their name or something like that. Throwing the fans a bone, then moving on to the stars. I for one am disappointed with Quicksilver. Sure the cartoon had it, but it looks rather cheesy. But yes, what is the age situation? He looks like a teen, iirc Mangeto was supposed to be 20ish in the last movie. (don't really remember too well)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
tdylan said:
legend forge said:
tdylan said:
Yes, but who is to say that he didn't do something between first class and future past to get him locked up? He was "free," at the end of first class, but also a wanted man.
He was charged with the assassination of JFK and locked in that very specific cell after a trial where he bent a crowbar into a pretzel to demonstrate his power.

They've been releasing a ton of sites and videos like this to flesh out the intervening years.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Arawn said:
But yes, what is the age situation? He looks like a teen, iirc Mangeto was supposed to be 20ish in the last movie. (don't really remember too well)
I'd say late 20s or early 30s at the end of First Class. He was a child in a concentration camp and the Cuban missile crisis happened in 1962. It's hard to say though, as the Nazis ran the camps from 1933 to 1945.

Edit: Actually they probably had a date in the movie in the scene showing his arrival. I just don't remember what it was.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
RealRT said:
So... this is gonna suck. Looks generic as fuck with neither the X-Men nor the Sentinels looking the part. And don't tell me that "THE ORIGINAL DESIGNS WOULDN'T WORK ON FILM HERP-DERP", because I've got three words for ya: Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Except Cap's uniform is nothing like the comics, nor does Hawkeye's. Iron Man is easy to translate, as were Loki/Thor's costumes.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
vallorn said:
I stay away from that kind of thing as much as possible. I feel I should have to lookup supplemental information in order to enjoy/make sense of the movie (looking at you "Prometheus"), and I like to go into movies that I'm interested in knowing as little as possible about them.

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
tdylan said:
legend forge said:
tdylan said:
That is sort of bad storytelling. Movies do this often, and every time it happens it irritates me. When a sequel has significant events happen off camera, or in a hasty intro sequence. Especially when it is something of significance from the last movie. So much of when they have shown us is more of the pre-First Class movies, which I personally did not like all that much.

Maybe it is a subjective sort of thing, but if you are right and they do that then it will start the movie on a very bad foot.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Gunnyboy said:
RealRT said:
So... this is gonna suck. Looks generic as fuck with neither the X-Men nor the Sentinels looking the part. And don't tell me that "THE ORIGINAL DESIGNS WOULDN'T WORK ON FILM HERP-DERP", because I've got three words for ya: Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Except Cap's unif
orm is nothing like the comics, nor does Hawkeye's. Iron Man is easy to translate, as were Loki/Thor's costumes.
Cap's uniform is NOTHING like the comics?
http://filmcrithulk.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/4th.jpg - comics Cap
https://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce61e3e4b0d911b44a49aa/1315069322053/1000w/Avengers%20setnewfull8.jpeg - movie Cap.
Note how the only changes are that the wings are now painted on instead of just being there and the armor on top replaced with cloth. The rest of it? The color scheme, with blue pants and top, white and red-striped abdomen, star on the chest and red boots and gloves is there. For added bonus, here's Cap from the Ultimate universe:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120701204547/marveldatabase/images/c/c6/Steven_Rogers_(Earth-1610)_from_Ultimate_Comics_Avengers_Vol_1_4.JPG - Oh look, he doesn't have wings on his helmet too.

Hawkeye is fair, yeah, he's nothing like the comics, but then again
A) Who cares about Hawkeye? He's not an iconic hero who was popular for years and years.
B) Who is upset his fabulous dark-blue and purple outfit didn't make it?

Oh, and don't tell me Loki's outfit was easy to translate. Dat absolutely fabulous helmet? It took balls to bring that to the silver screen.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
My biggest problem with this movie is the insistence that Wolverine be the main hero/leader guy. Why is always up to him? Last I check, there X-Men were a team, which means there are more than one person to handle things. And yet it's always up to Wolverine while the others seem to get reduced to cheerleaders. Getting a little tired of him and his constant struggle of taking a leader role.

Other than that, I think this trailer has finally made it to where I am interested--and will most likely see--this new X-Men movie.

As a side note, I think it would have been funny if they got the same guy to play Quicksilver in both movies, and if X-Men managed to get a little shot in at Avengers and Avengers got a little shot in at them. Nothing mean spirited, but just good-hearted ribbing.