This Coffee Maker Has DRM to Lock Out Competitor's Refills - Update

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nazulu said:
It's Sim City 5 all over again. Hey Draec, you wanna defend this too?

It amazes me they think they can deceive us all with this bull crap. Do they really believe no one is going to test it? I'd love to hear him go into detail about the 'safety' it provides.
Heh. I can almost envision how the rest of that argument would go down..
"I see no problem with this since the consumer can always choose to not buy the product. Stop overreacting."
Or something to that effect; the usual bits of marginalizing and/or dancing around the issue to avoid actually addressing its (de)merits.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
"Keurig 2.0" is expected to launch this fall.
I misread this as "Keurig 2.0 is expected to fail this launch, which I deem an appropriate fate for those who put stupid arbitrary restrictions on freaking coffee. Did nobody in their marketing department think to mention that people aren't stupid enough to accept this?

I hate DRM at the best of times, the worthless waste of money that it is for companies and pain in the ass for customers, but I can at least understand the stupid decision to put it in certain products, even while I think they're shooting themselves in the foot. But coffee makers? Ugg.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
Stevepinto3 said:
Sleekit said:
i don't actually know anyone...nor have i in fact ever known someone...who actually owns a coffee maker.

mostly on account of us having these things called "kettles"...
I take it you're not from the U.S. then. I don't know anyone who doesn't own a coffeemaker. Hell, I have one and I don't even drink coffee.
And Keurig makes thing even worse by making these cartridges with all kinds of wasteful packaging (and stale coffee) for people who can't be assed to stick in a filter and measure a few scoopfuls into it.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
This isn't just stupid because it's illegal. It's stupid because it's easy to get around. All you would have to do is take an empty "approved" packet and refill it with whatever the hell you want. And even if that won't work do they honestly think people won't figure out how to get around it? It's not running a program, it's poking a hole in a thing then running hot water through it.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
WOPR said:
I CALLED IT! I FREAKING CALLED IT! THEY TOLD ME I WAS CRAZY! THEY SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE! BUT IT'S REAL AND HAPPENING RIGHT NOW! I TOLD YOU WHAT THE FUTURE WOULD BRING US AND YOU DIDN'T LISTEN!

*flashback to November 2013*
*Giving his speech in speech class of how DRM is horrible and we need to push aggresively for DRM-Free products before they infect everything*
Student: Well what if we don't play video games or use iTunes or read ebooks?
Me: It's spreading into everything, next thing you'll know we'll have DRM'ed cars where your car locks itself if you leave the state and you can't drive it further unless you pay a $20 fee to travel outside the state for a month.
Student: Well what if we take the bus?
Me: You can come up with any many "what ifs" as you want but it can and will infect everything, next thing you know we'll have DRM'ed microwaves that only cook lean couseine and refuse to nuke anything else, or food processors that will only dice up Dole brand bananas, heck even coffee makers that will only brew over priced starbucks stuff instead of just any kind you want!
Student: That's ridiculous, they could never make stuff like that.
If you really said this then you need to print off this article, bring it to whoever said that and rub it in their face. If your teacher gave you a poor grade then show it to them to and force them to give you a better one.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Epicspoon said:
WOPR said:
If you really said this then you need to print off this article, bring it to whoever said that and rub it in their face. If your teacher gave you a poor grade then show it to them to and force them to give you a better one.
Oh I plan to show the people when I see them this summer, as for the teacher, I got an A- on my paper so I don't think bugging him for a better grade would make any kind of sense. (The class was Speech 10 though not English 1A so it was more how I presented than how realistic I was being.)