This Fallout: New Vegas Mod Will Add Multiplayer

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
This Fallout: New Vegas Mod Will Add Multiplayer

If you've ever wanted to explore Fallout: New Vegas with friends, this in-progress multiplayer mod could make it happen.

Four years ago, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115136-Interplay-Loses-Rights-to-Fallout-MMO>a Fallout MMO seemed like a real possibility until legal disputes ruled it out. But 2016 might bring us the next best thing: a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fallout%20new%20vegas?os=fallout+new+vegas>Fallout: New Vegas multiplayer mod. Created by a third-party fan team, this project is exactly what it sounds like - an attempt to translate New Vegas' levels and systems into an online game where you complete quests with other players.

How does one go about making Fallout: New Vegas an online game? First of all, the VATS system has to be pulled entirely to avoid pausing the game every time someone targets an enemy. You can still enter your inventory at any time, but doing so makes you invulnerable so you don't have to worry about taking damage. Finally, only the core New Vegas game can support multiplayer, although the DLC might be added on a later date. Other than that, New Vegas: Multiplayer promises to be a similar game, outside of encountering new players on your server.

New Vegas - Multiplayer even found a solution for synchronizing quests, albeit an awkward one. In short, quests are handled clientside, while NPCs and entities synchronize with players. So if you're looking for a quest-giving NPC, but a nearby player killed them earlier, that quest would sync with your mission log as a failure. It certainly sounds like a duct-tape approach to settling the matter, but it at least gets the job done.

[gallery=5540]

New Vegas: Multiplayer is running gameplay tests in two weeks, and the team is seeking players who can put the mod through its paces. Anyone can apply for the test <a href=http://nv-mp.com>from the mod's website, although you shouldn't expect a smooth gameplay experience just yet. Still, once this mod is finished it could be a great way to re-experience the game with friends. I, for one, will be keeping a close eye on it.

Source: Reddit, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-27-someone-is-making-a-fallout-new-vegas-multiplayer-mod>Eurogamer

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I have a feeling that any attempts at running this seriously are going to end with a random surge of players declaring themselves enclave, making a mad dash for the good stuff, and gunning everyone else down.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
If this is anything like the two Skyrim multiplayer mods that have been attempted, people will talk about it for a week or two, try it, realize that it exacerbates the stability issues the game already has, and then stop using it.

I love the idea of having a multiplayer Fallout/Elder Scrolls game (co-op, not an MMO), but I've yet to see modders manage to convert the games to multiplayer with much success.

Sep 14, 2009
Ironman126 said:
If this is anything like the two Skyrim multiplayer mods that have been attempted, people will talk about it for a week or two, try it, realize that it exacerbates the stability issues the game already has, and then stop using it.

I love the idea of having a multiplayer Fallout/Elder Scrolls game (co-op, not an MMO), but I've yet to see modders manage to convert the games to multiplayer with much success.
pretty much this, however if one of these *does* take off, I can only hope the pub's don't see that as a "oh, they want a paid subscription mmo of fallout and no more single player? BETTER GET ON THAT.*

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
There's been a multiplayer attempt for almost every Elder Scrolls and Fallout since Morrowind by desperate fans, and yet the only attempt Bethesda has tried was an average MMO with the Elder Scrolls name.

People didn't necessarily want an MMO, they wanted the same games you already make, but with a co-op/multiplayer element.

I understand multiplayer implementation costs time and money, but you know what a good co-op mode potentially gets you? Double the sales.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I can't wait for the already super fragile engine to rip itself apart at the seams while trying to render even just one other player character.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
AnthrSolidSnake said:
I understand multiplayer implementation costs time and money, but you know what a good co-op mode potentially gets you? Double the sales.
Probably slightly less since depending on how it's implemented, some people wouldn't buy it because it would either break the game or make certain parts unplayable because it requires more than one person.

Keep in mind, this is one of the few pure single-player franchises left; throwing that away to chase MP dollars might end up screwing them later.

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
This has to be the most griefing-friendly mod ever made.

Poke the Deathclaws North of Sloan.
Wander into Sloan.
Bid farewell to Sloan.

Reverse pickpocket C4 into a plot-critical NPC's inventory.
Wait until another player comes looking for a quest.
Let hilarity ensue.

Place nuclear mines in the path of NPC's.
Leave before the NPC can trip the mine.
Next time that loading zone loads, NPC wanders a little to far to the right.

It doesn't even matter if friendly fire is enabled. Nuking all that content just before conversation can initiate would be it's own reward.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
AnthrSolidSnake said:
I don't know if I'd say that. I bought Portal 2 for the single player and the co-op was an added bonus. That said I can't see good co-op going away from sales only increasing them.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
I can only hope the pub's don't see that as a "oh, they want a paid subscription mmo of fallout and no more single player? BETTER GET ON THAT.*
DAMMIT MAN! Why did you have to go and say that?! Now Zenimax is sure to do exactly that!

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Ironman126 said:
gmaverick019 said:
I can only hope the pub's don't see that as a "oh, they want a paid subscription mmo of fallout and no more single player? BETTER GET ON THAT.*
DAMMIT MAN! Why did you have to go and say that?! Now Zenimax is sure to do exactly that!
Funny thing is that elder scrolls online was perhaps the most multyplayer unfriendly mmo i have ever seen. Grouping was actually in most cases detrimental to your quest progressing cause quests would not finish for every player in the group or outright bug out.

As for the project at hand: Same as the skyrim multyplayer mods... lets talk about it when they actually managed to pull it off.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
So basically, an entire world where all NPCs have been killed by one player except for the ones that just get stunned?

My absolute favorite thing about the fallout and elder scrolls series are that the world is all mine and not shared. We have a shit ton of MMOs nowadays.

But hey, as long as I don't have to do that then I don't care. But these massive open world single player games are only getting rarer.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I think I'd be happier if I could just use this mod as a special installation of the game to host with a friend or two, that way we could add some normal mods and not have to worry about trolls killing every npc in the world and lacing the starting area with mines. Sort of like the skyrim multiplayer mod: just let it be a little more on the user side. Oh, and not shit. Can't forget that one.

I would love a chance to wander the desert as a daughter of ARES with my super-stealthed anime-haired friend as we kick the crap out of raiders.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
How tempting it would be to play New Vegas with my boyfriend, I'd still pass. I think it misses the intention of the game.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
well, cool and all but I am glad this sort of thing is just staying as a mod. Multiplayer really doesn't go well in Bethesda open worlds well unless its at a cost

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
If it was just hosted co-op, I think that would be a lot easier to figure out.