This Generation Is Fucked

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
San Martin said:
A bit of a tangent, but kind of related to this generation: does anyone else hate it when they see a meme, article or comment about "90s kids"?
Oh, f*ck it!

Damn you, MovieBob!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
conmag9 said:
blackrave said:
Risingblade said:
blackrave said:
Risingblade said:
I still believe we should blame rap music regardless the generation.
Nonsense!
D&D is responsible for everything bad.
Kids these days with their D&D rappers...
50 Copper and Ludi'drizz't?
Aaaaaand now I'm going to be laughing all day. Continuously. Clean through a birthday party (not mine). Thanks for that.
Due to names alone or did you actually read their glorious adventures?

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Fox12 said:
Zontar said:
Rabbitboy said:
I am regularly told that my generation will have it worse than our parents. So if there is anyone who has a right to complain it would be us. Depletion of natural resources, an economy that is going down the drain. Don't you dare criticize the ones who will have to fix your mess.
The problem is those descriptions are lies, sensationalism in the name of selling papers in the morning. Sure the economy isn't great, and it takes a bit more effort to get oil then it used to, but lets not pretend things are somehow worst off then they where before (hell, lets not pretend things are as bad as they where in the 90s).
The world isn't ending, I suppose, but we are inheriting our ancestors mistakes, which makes their insufferable attitude as awful as their incompetence. The baby boomers onward really messed up. A Cold War, Vietnam, multiple wars in the Middle East, terrorism, insane national debt, an authoritative government that spies on its own citizens and tortures foreign combatants.... They've squandered everything, and expect the current generation to look after them while also fixing their mistakes, and all the while I'm asking when will it be our time? There are too many old men in congress. Our forefathers were cowards, they're still cowards, and they're fools. All of them? No. But as a generation? Absolutely.

I have little patience for the older generations. I hope to god that my generation learns from their mistakes, and makes things easier for those that follow.
I had to sign into this account for the first time in well over a year, just to comment how much this pissed me off.

Cowards? The previous generations certainly screwed up, but they were not cowards. They had real issues to deal with: fascism, an absolute collapse of the economy, the threat of nuclear destruction, etc. These may have resulted from their mistakes, egos, whatever, but the way they handled this certainly was not cowardly. Difficult circumstances call for difficult measures. I doubt we will fair half as well during the trails we face.

We are the cowards. "Oh he said this slightly offensive joke on Twitter - social campaign time!" We don't even know if we want to give those who went to join ISIS a reassuring hug or jail time upon their return. Being alive now is practically synonymous with being forced to be 100% accepting of every single lifestyle choice - even if you never say or do anything about your disapproval. I dread to think the cowardly, Orwellian, Liberalism that'll be thrust upon us when people of our generation begin to take office.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Iron Criterion said:
Fox12 said:
Zontar said:
Rabbitboy said:
I am regularly told that my generation will have it worse than our parents. So if there is anyone who has a right to complain it would be us. Depletion of natural resources, an economy that is going down the drain. Don't you dare criticize the ones who will have to fix your mess.
The problem is those descriptions are lies, sensationalism in the name of selling papers in the morning. Sure the economy isn't great, and it takes a bit more effort to get oil then it used to, but lets not pretend things are somehow worst off then they where before (hell, lets not pretend things are as bad as they where in the 90s).
The world isn't ending, I suppose, but we are inheriting our ancestors mistakes, which makes their insufferable attitude as awful as their incompetence. The baby boomers onward really messed up. A Cold War, Vietnam, multiple wars in the Middle East, terrorism, insane national debt, an authoritative government that spies on its own citizens and tortures foreign combatants.... They've squandered everything, and expect the current generation to look after them while also fixing their mistakes, and all the while I'm asking when will it be our time? There are too many old men in congress. Our forefathers were cowards, they're still cowards, and they're fools. All of them? No. But as a generation? Absolutely.

I have little patience for the older generations. I hope to god that my generation learns from their mistakes, and makes things easier for those that follow.
I had to sign into this account for the first time in well over a year, just to comment how much this pissed me off.

Cowards? The previous generations certainly screwed up, but they were not cowards. They had real issues to deal with: fascism, an absolute collapse of the economy, the threat of nuclear destruction, etc. These may have resulted from their mistakes, egos, whatever, but the way they handled this certainly was not cowardly. Difficult circumstances call for difficult measures. I doubt we will fair half as well during the trails we face.

We are the cowards. "Oh he said this slightly offensive joke on Twitter - social campaign time!" We don't even know if we want to give those who went to join ISIS a reassuring hug or jail time upon their return. Being alive now is practically synonymous with being forced to be 100% accepting of every single lifestyle choice - even if you never say or do anything about your disapproval. I dread to think the cowardly, Orwellian, Liberalism that'll be thrust upon us when people of our generation begin to take office.
Orwellian Liberalism? You must be joking, that's an oxymoron. Liberalism, by its very nature, supports small government and freedom. Don't confuse it with the stuff the democrats are peddling. Do you know what is orwellian? Spying on our own citizens, who we don't trust, in order to protect them from some middle eastern goat herders. I could care less about ISIS, they're less dangerous then the NSA, because ISIS can't take away our freedoms. The NSA can. We allow the NSA, and the rest of the government, to do whatever it wants because we're scared of terrorism. And who allowed this situation to occur? Why, our forefathers. They were poor stewards of freedom. That is the very nature of cowardice, that we would sacrifice freedom for security.

If my old comment pissed you off, then I'm sorry, but this is going to be a doozy. Mccain and his ilk are a bunch of fascists. Obama is no better. Both parties support big government, spying programs, and the militarization of the police. It's a disgrace that America has allowed things to get this bad. I don't know if my generation will try to fix this situation or perpetuate it, but that won't stop me from criticizing the ones who allowed things to get this bad in the first place.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Every single generation complains about the generation that comes next. I kid you not, the Ancient Greeks complained about books - they said that with books around, no one would have to remember information and as a result, everyone would become stupid. That was over 2000+ years ago.

The people born in the 1890s thought Jazz was "The Devil's Music" and would lead to the destruction of modern civilization. The people born in the 1920's thought the same of "Rock'N'Roll".

This has been happening for a very long time. Every generation thinks the next is "fucked".

I don't think this generation is done for. I don't think the next generation is, for that matter. I do, however, think the generation born 3 generations from now will be "totall fucked", because the progressive environmental destruction of the world will mean that those born 20 or 30 or 40 years from now will have a VERY interesting time fixing the excesses that my generation is currently enjoying. We're trashing the place, and we're doing a runner and leaving future generations for the bill. My generation might actually go down as the most hated or second most hated generation in human history - we're pretty much the last group that had a chance to fix things and avoid a horrendous future, we had all the scientific info telling us about the horrible future we were creating, but we didn't do anything, and continued to consume to excess, knowing that Jimmy and Sally Jr will have to pick up the pieces of a trashed and broken ecosystem.

If any future historians manage to read this, I will plead this defence: "Guys, our lives were SUPER comfortable! Had you had our lives, you wouldn't have given them up either!"

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Fox12 said:
Iron Criterion said:
Fox12 said:
Zontar said:
Rabbitboy said:

Orwellian Liberalism? You must be joking, that's an oxymoron. Liberalism, by its very nature, supports small government and freedom. Don't confuse it with the stuff the democrats are peddling. Do you know what is orwellian? Spying on our own citizens, who we don't trust, in order to protect them from some middle eastern goat herders. I could care less about ISIS, they're less dangerous then the NSA, because ISIS can't take away our freedoms. The NSA can. We allow the NSA, and the rest of the government, to do whatever it wants because we're scared of terrorism. And who allowed this situation to occur? Why, our forefathers. They were poor stewards of freedom. That is the very nature of cowardice, that we would sacrifice freedom for security.

If my old comment pissed you off, then I'm sorry, but this is going to be a doozy. Mccain and his ilk are a bunch of fascists. Obama is no better. Both parties support big government, spying programs, and the militarization of the police. It's a disgrace that America has allowed things to get this bad. I don't know if my generation will try to fix this situation or perpetuate it, but that won't stop me from criticizing the ones who allowed things to get this bad in the first place.
A bit off topic, but ISIS isn't not something to laugh at. Yes, they are incapable of attacking the US at the moment - but that might not last. They very nearly toppled Iraq. That's right - they very nearly took down a nation state and gained access to huge amounts of oil and money. They could have used that as a base to eventually take over Syria, and before you know it, they are threatening the Saudis (who are very rich but aren't very good at fighting, despite billions of dollars worth of equipment). ISIS could have easily become a threat - not to the US directly, but to the Middle East as a whole. If they had taken down Iraq, you can bet Iran would have invaded, which might have sparked off a general middle eastern war of Sunni Vs Shia. You may say "Why should we care" - well, think about what that would do to the Oil market. And even with the US increasing is own domestic production, the US and indeed, the ENTIRE WORLD still needs Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states to continue producing Oil. You wouldn't like it very much if oil production was disrupted, no siree. If you thought paying 150 for a barrel was bad, imagine how bad it would be paying 250 or 300 per barrel of oil!

ceyan

Oct 13, 2014
While the generational gap has always been a thing, it is worth noting that World War 1 (more the industrialization preceeding it), World War 2 (the sheer mass intermingling of humanity on a scale never seen before and the rapid advancement of technology shortly after it), and the mid 90's to now (the internet) have all driven change far greater and faster than anything we've ever seen in human history. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing remains to be seen, although that is a bit outside of the scope of the original point.