This is an abusive relationship...why can't I quit you?

Harleykin

Sep 11, 2013
WoW
bought upon release played and played and played.
eventually my bank account didn't cover the monthly fee and they booted me.
played for 4 years or something.
didn't touch it for 1 year. found private servers.
o the glory i still play it today every once in a while (tbh 20 min ago i played my druid ha!)
not as much as back in the days but i basically played wow ever since it came out.
(and WOTLK is the highest expansion i ever played mind you)

K-lusive

May 15, 2014
Bethesda RPG's are this spouse to me, except they don't leave me with a black eyes. They run their nails down my back. And even though it hurts, somewhere deep down I kinda like it.
I don't think I will be able to resist TES6 or FO4 long enough for them to try their puppy-eyes on me.
I am K-Lusive and I am an addict :(

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Barbas said:
Thank you, Tippy. If that title was the opening to yet another thread complaining about the Escapist forums, I think I'd have to buy a bag of crisps just so I could angrily explode it in my fist. I'm just thinking about it now.

[small][sub][sub]Mmm...YEAH! Yeah, take that, you fucking ***** crisps![/sub][/sub][/small]
I figured after all these depressing threads that we need something a bit more fun. What's more fun than spousal abuse, right!?!?

...right???

[small]....anyone?[/small]

Hazy992 said:
I'm like this with Call of Duty. Every year I swear I'm not going to buy it anymore because it's always got some huge problem, but every year I get suckered back in. I'm already doing it this year with Advanced Warfare. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.
Ghost may have finally broken me. Since Call of Duty 2, I have bought every CoD game (and played the multi-player in all of them since CoD: MW 1). But we all know what's going to happen here...

[Interior Shot: Tippy2k2's bedroom]

-tippy2k2 is lying in bed; suddenly, music is heard from the open window
-Call of Duty is in the yard with a boombox over its head
-tippy2k2: "Go away Call of Duty! I remember how your mute system was made a lot more complicated than it should be, the latency icon was taken away, Search & Destroy was ruined, and just how dumb your campaign was, even compared to Modern Warfare 3!!! The host play can't be killed! It's bad news for all of us"
-Call of Duty: "I've changed baby. I have a new developer. We've learned from the mistakes of the last fifty games or so. I've got this bouquet of new maps and I swear it's gonna be different girl!"
-tippy2k2: "We've done this too many times Call of Duty! My heart can't take another breaking...
-Call of Duty: "I've got giant robots..."
-tippy2k2: *Swoons

A few weeks later I'm explaining to the neighbors how I "ran into a door" and that explains the black eye...

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Hazy992 said:
I'm like this with Call of Duty. Every year I swear I'm not going to buy it anymore because it's always got some huge problem, but every year I get suckered back in. I'm already doing it this year with Advanced Warfare. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.
Ghost may have finally broken me. Since Call of Duty 2, I have bought every CoD game (and played the multi-player in all of them since CoD: MW 1). But we all know what's going to happen here...

[Interior Shot: Tippy2k2's bedroom]

-tippy2k2 is lying in bed; suddenly, music is heard from the open window
-Call of Duty is in the yard with a boombox over its head
-tippy2k2: "Go away Call of Duty! I remember how your mute system was made a lot more complicated than it should be, the latency icon was taken away, Search & Destroy was ruined, and just how dumb your campaign was, even compared to Modern Warfare 3!!! The host play can't be killed! It's bad news for all of us"
-Call of Duty: "I've changed baby. I have a new developer. We've learned from the mistakes of the last fifty games or so. I've got this bouquet of new maps and I swear it's gonna be different girl!"
-tippy2k2: "We've done this too many times Call of Duty! My heart can't take another breaking...
-Call of Duty: "I've got giant robots..."
-tippy2k2: *Swoons

A few weeks later I'm explaining to the neighbors how I "ran into a door" and that explains the black eye...
Maybe if I had a little bit of self control I could refrain from buying it for a few weeks, or at the very least stop buying Infinity Ward's iterations. But we both know that isn't going to happen :/

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
michael87cn said:
Nope. Don't get this kind of thing either. "I'm a fan of your stuff, even if some of it is shit! I still like the shit, because you made it! Because I love you!"

Why...?

Play good games. Don't play games because they have the same name. If they are bad, they are bad...
I figured I should split my "joke" answers and my real answers off to keep everything clear (hence the second post in a row).

The reason why I (and I imagine many others in this thread) buy game series that we know will abuse us is the potential and the fact that we remember how much fun we CAN have with the series. Leon Declis talked about the potential so I'll take the other part.

The reason I keep going to AC is that I remember throughout all the problems and issues I have, the game can be a freaking blast. I don't remember the twenty times it took to get that kill right because Ezio jumped up the side of the building rather than tailing his target. I remember the awesome kill when it actually worked correctly when I slipped through the crowd, hit my target with poison, and just kept on waling like nothing happened.

You never remember all the problems the game has until you get back into it and then you forget alllll about them when you finally get that one kill to work perfectly...

The Assassins Creed games are not bad games; it just has bad habits :)

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Mass Effect. I haven't even gone near the games since I finished ME3, but I just can't. Stop. Thinking about them. About all the things I hate about them, about all the things I'd change if I could. About how I just want another ME1.

I just want to move on, but I can't.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I got you beat, not a franchise, just ONE game: X-Com: Enemy Unknown (and Within).

Every time I think I'm done with it, that I can't possibly squeeze anymore fun out of it or stay up way too late playing it, I always get sucked back in and wind up playing through it again. I think I'm on my 4th play through now, and that's not counting the countless games that I've lost.

Damn you to hell Firaxis!!!

captcha: 'stinky feet'
How did they know?!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I can't imagine doing this. If there's a series I love, I tend to buy until the trust is gone. Even then, I went back and bought SRIV because ti was so highly recommended (as an example).

Drop the price enough and I miiiight give a game a try, but the magic is gone and no amount of Peter Gabriel will bring it back.

Longing said:
I have bought every single Dynasty Warriors game that was available to me. It's just misplaced nostalgia. I used to play the game with my best friend when we were wee little kids and I guess that always stayed linked to her.

I usually binge play the game over a week and then never touch it again. DW gets boring super quick and the story has become so dull because it's always the same freaking one and always the same freaking stages and they're always ten years behind in terms of technology.. but...

I still have a soft spot for it and its characters so I guess I'll continue wasting money on it. you're welcome koei.

ps. jin is garbage. original 3 4ever.
I can't speak for all the new games, but Jin's story in 7 sucked.

I actually like the DW games in terms of gameplay, and 7 nearly killed that. A friend has eight though, and co-op makes the series fun again, IMO.

wcaypahwat

Jan 3, 2008
I think I've learned my lesson. AC started to bore me a little in Revelations, and 3 I couldn't get into at all. I think I killed the first main badguy target? I did enjoy black flag but I have no interest in any of the new ones.

I even stuck with CoD up to now. Even as they went from Band of Brothers to The Expendables, I still enjoyed them. BLOPS2s cutscenes kind of bugged me though, and Ghosts was just the last straw with how terrible it was.

I'm free now, and maybe one day I'll find a game that likes me for who I am, and treats me with respect.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Nope, everything is perfect for me.
Even Quake Franchise. Many people hate Quake 4, but not me. I like it.
Persona? Perfect. I don't count the dancing game, because I will NEVER play it.
Phoenix Wright? I love love the games man!
Doom? I like Doom 3 and I am waiting for the new game.
Perfect, everything is perfect.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Probably God of War for me. I just hate Kratos so much. But the games are so much fun, dammit. It helps that I got them all in that Saga Collection release, but still. I kept playing one after another, and with every game my hatred towards Kratos grew stronger.
Then I played Ghost of Sparta and leveled with the guy, you know?

Also Assassin's Creed. But to be honest I'm enjoying myself a lot with it. I've only played games #1, #2 and #4, with Brotherhood and Revelations in my backlog and avoiding #3 until I pretty much have no more AC games to play, I suppose.

I haven't played a new Silent Hill game in a while now, but this used to be my bane some years ago as well.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I've so far managed to keep away from Assassin's Creed Black Flag but admittedly that's mostly due to the fact that computer is getting too old to play newer games now. I just keep waiting and hoping for another game as good as #2 or even Brotherhood. Apart from AC though I seem to be able to stay away from long running franchises, the only other one I've played with more than 3 games is the Batman Arkham series but they've all been awesome games so far.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I thought this thread was going somewhere else.

So far there hasn't been a franchise I couldn't quit. If I stop liking a game, I stop playing it. I haven't got the time or inclination to force myself through a bad or mediocre game/series. I just stop. This has happened with Silent Hill and Resident Evil.

There has been one series I couldn't start. The first Mass Effect simply would not run on my PC. Six years and several upgrades/rebuilds later, the game finally decided to work. I am now deep into ME3 and having a blast.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Ihateregistering1 said:
I got you beat, not a franchise, just ONE game: X-Com: Enemy Unknown (and Within).

Every time I think I'm done with it, that I can't possibly squeeze anymore fun out of it or stay up way too late playing it, I always get sucked back in and wind up playing through it again. I think I'm on my 4th play through now, and that's not counting the countless games that I've lost.

Damn you to hell Firaxis!!!
That game is freaking awesome and I know where you're coming from [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tippy2k2-s-XCOM-Army-Let-s-Play]

XCOM isn't abusive in the fact that it's a good series gone bad; it's abusive in that it kicks my ass. It's incredibly rare that I replay any game ever because I just don't replay games. Even my Top 10 games of all time have been played only once or twice.

I've done four campaigns in XCOM (as my poor army can attest to). I have only successfully completed the game once (when I dropped it to normal like a wuss!) but I absolutely adore that game.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
I can safely say that because of the constant betrayals game companies have done to their first and original fans I can easily not buy any game made from any company no matter how much I want it. I just stick with older games and save money. Too many companies have screwed me over to appease lesser skilled gamers, especially in online competitive games. Arena shooters should be the only ones online like in the old days. MMORPG's should be like Ultima Online was where you can do anything you want whenever you want too, even kill other players and take their stuff. And RTS should be about whose actually the smartest and fastest in their execution.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I love Final Fantasy...She's been getting hotter and, hotter with age and while I didn't indulge in her pansexual phases (FFXI & FFXIV) I've always loved her younger phases. Sadly, with beauty came vanity...it wasn't about the game as much with XIII...She wanted to show me her moves instead of allowing me to give any input and when I thought out loud, "Well, at least your next phase will be something different", she tried to take up two additional phases to try and explain herself...It looks like XV will be something completely different again but hopefully it'll be better than the last three. Failing that, FF has an incredibly cute cousin who's all into music...don't tell FF I've spent over a hundred hours on her cousin...I think she already knows about my time with Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and, Tactics but Theatrhythm is quickly becoming my favorite.

Final Fantasy isn't an abusive lover like Sonic the Hedgehog (I still have the scars from the Storybook games) but she's becoming increasingly vain and, self-centered.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
TheJJBL said:
Mass Effect, every 9 or so months I feel the need to try another playthrough, try something different, see how another choice or class plays out. Every time it hurts me, but we won't get into that, I just keep coming back to the same three games again and again, and I need to stop, but I just can't.
DaWaffledude said:
Mass Effect. I haven't even gone near the games since I finished ME3, but I just can't. Stop. Thinking about them. About all the things I hate about them, about all the things I'd change if I could. About how I just want another ME1.

I just want to move on, but I can't.
MarsAtlas said:
This. Me. So much. It took me a year to go back to the Mass Effect games, apart from ME3's multiplayer, after I got to the ending. All the problem with ME3, and then to top it off with Bioware acting like a bunch of wankers, left an awful taste in my mouth.

But I still want so badly. I foam at the mouth every time I see Mass Effect stuff.
I call fourthsies.

Even after downloading the EC, even though the original blow still hurts, even though I know what's coming, I still can't stop myself from having one more playthrough. One more crack at the story. One more Renegade FemShepxLiara story.

I just... there's something wrong with me. I need help. D:

Hazy992 said:
Oh BevisHazy! And I thought you were so... butchcool! :p

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I'd have to say Call of Duty, though that's less an abusive relationship then me visiting the same brothel that promises the moon and more every time I go, but we both know I'm only there for the single player.

Er....I think my analogy fell apart....