This Is How Star Wars Can Redeem Midichlorians

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
TheMadJack said:
Why not just accept the fact that it is what it is? This isn't up for debate, this isn't up to you or me to decide what it is, how it acts and if it should be named the way it is or not. It is what it is. Deal with it.

That's how the story is and that's it. Please stop that. As a sci-fi author that kind of talk is heckling me as hell.
The worst thing I see with people complaining about the concept of Midichlorians is that they're outright making crap up to complain about. Just on this very thread people are attributing qualities to the Midichlorians that in the one time they were mentioned were never actually stated in any way. Midichlorians are the source of The Force, they demystify The Force, or whatever, none of these things are true about it in any way.

How obsessively does one have to want to hate something to get to the point that they make stuff up to hate about it?

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I don't like the midichlorians either, and my opinion usually runs along the lines of once you try to create a prosaic explanation to a mystical phenomenon, that phenomenon loses all its mysticism and becomes just another thing. However, a couple of the comments in this thread do bring up an important point. Whether one chooses midichlorians or just ordinary genetics, the manifestation of the Force is still not explained, only the mechanism for its passage from one generation to another. The midichlorians, hate them or....hate them, provide a mechanism for quantification of Force affinity; the implication being that every midichlorian has the same quantity of Force affinity. One can probably get the same variations of affinity through genetics, but it would probably pose greater restrictions on individual family lines in terms of the level of affinity within any given individual than may occur with midichlorians.

Personally, I would prefer it to be a kind of spiritual resonance that is usually strongest between parent and child, which admittedly sounds like genetics. The difference would be that the mechanism of passage remains purely in the mystic realm (the spiritual bond between parent and child) and never enters or is subject to the material realm. The resonance would be allowed to skip generations or even shift blood-lines entirely on the basis of narrative necessity.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
My own headcannon has always been that Midichlorians are an effect of Force Sensitivity and not a cause.

If I must think of them at all I prefer to think of the Midichlorian as the Universe's simplest force sensitive organism, attracted to those who are able to act as a conduit for The Force.

Whether it's for protection, or if they feed off of the bled off Force energies or...because they like the way The Force smells, whatever.

Because the alternative is that The Force is some sort of Psychic bacteria poop.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Rhykker said:
This Is How Star Wars Can Redeem Midichlorians

Can we do a better job than George Lucas did with midichlorians by instead invoking genetics?

Read Full Article
If you feel that the introduction of midichlorians "cheapened" the view of the Force", and that it took you over 20 years to think of how this makes sense then I have to question your ability to think rationally.

I saw the Phantom Menace when I was 17, and when they tested young Anikan for them, I thought "wow, this actually makes sense and explains why EVERYONE CAN'T be a Jedi/Sith.

Also, this notion you assert that it diminishes a fantasy story to have explanations is to attack many great fantasy novels, such as Lord of the Rings. Everything is explained, mostly the fact that the magic was done by select people that belonged to different races. Dwarfs and Humans couldn't do magic at all. Saurmon, Gandalf and Radagast were Maiar, the Elves, being an older race were granted and developed powers, and Sauron was Ainur, which is classifying him as basically a lower God.

Did I ruin Lord of the Rings for you? I kinda hope so in a way.

In most other narratives, they give a reason why people are powerful or have other abilities. It's usually based on race or bloodline; super intense training; finding a magical artifact; symbiotic relationships with other beings; viruses or diseases; or prophecy (the chosen one).

Yes, the prequels had issues, but these unwarranted attacks and intellectual dishonestly about perfectly serviceable plot devices is petty.

I have more issues with the Jedi Code and the way they are portrayed in the movie, too stupid to see what was going on and make logical decisions in how to solve it. They mad bad choices with Ani from the first time he was brought to the council, basically causing the issues. The "no attachment" part of the code was shown to be stupid when it brought about their undoing...if Ani could have check in on his mother and marry the woman he loved in public, then nothing would have happened. Luke had all kinds of attachments to his friends, sister, and father, and instead of "betraying them" he used them to basically win the day.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
geizr said:
I don't like the midichlorians either, and my opinion usually runs along the lines of once you try to create a prosaic explanation to a mystical phenomenon, that phenomenon loses all its mysticism and becomes just another thing. However, a couple of the comments in this thread do bring up an important point. Whether one chooses midichlorians or just ordinary genetics, the manifestation of the Force is still not explained, only the mechanism for its passage from one generation to another. The midichlorians, hate them or....hate them, provide a mechanism for quantification of Force affinity; the implication being that every midichlorian has the same quantity of Force affinity. One can probably get the same variations of affinity through genetics, but it would probably pose greater restrictions on individual family lines in terms of the level of affinity within any given individual than may occur with midichlorians.

Personally, I would prefer it to be a kind of spiritual resonance that is usually strongest between parent and child, which admittedly sounds like genetics. The difference would be that the mechanism of passage remains purely in the mystic realm (the spiritual bond between parent and child) and never enters or is subject to the material realm. The resonance would be allowed to skip generations or even shift blood-lines entirely on the basis of narrative necessity.
I think that the phrase "spiritual resonance...between parent and child" is the dumbest one uttered on the net this week, and that's saying something.

Most force affinity isn't across family lines as JEDI WEREN'T ALLOWED TO MARRY AND HAVE CHILDREN. We focus so much on Anakin and Padme's offspring (since the EU isn't canon we don't know if Leia/Han or Luke's offspring exist or are force sensitive) we forget that most of the Jedi Order and Sith were built on children that were discovered that have force affinity. In fact the passage of force abilities is shown in the narrative as an anomaly, outside the norm.

Since the Clone Wars cartoon is canon, let's talk about Ahsoka. Ahsoka was FOUND BY MASTER PLO KOON AT THE AGE OF THREE in a marketplace. It's never stated, but if her parents were also force sensitive, but my clue is, if they were, they would have taken here to the Jedi for testing at birth.

So, it isn't about family... It's about these microscopic organisms that live in peace and harmony with the force and the person they are end to use force powers, for good, evil, or a shade of gray. It really isn't much different than people born with special skills or powers from other works of fictio and It does required training to use the powers instead of coming naturally.

But it isn't family based in general.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Who says previous Jedi order was right about Midichlorians?
We can always assume they were wrong.
Maybe Sith have alternative explanation for Force that is wrong too?

I would make it like old debate about light.
Some were convinced that light was particle-based
Others- that light was wave-based
Both sides were wrong and right at the same time.
And I'm not 100% sure that we currently have it right.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Wouldn't genetics instead promote an even worse message of biological essentialism and destiny tied to one's genes? Also makes NO SENSE in a galaxy teeming with intelligent life who seemingly can all use the force with training. Genetics seems like a fucking horrible idea to me. Why not just leave it as a 'talent' of mysterious origins?

Something bred and honed by sensitivity, philosophy and training? Why does it have to have a single, unifying source, but more akin to something that is inculcated through training, lifestyle, focus, and philosophical outlook?

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Brockyman said:
geizr said:

I think that the phrase "spiritual resonance...between parent and child" is the dumbest one uttered on the net this week, and that's saying something.

Most force affinity isn't across family lines as JEDI WEREN'T ALLOWED TO MARRY AND HAVE CHILDREN. We focus so much on Anakin and Padme's offspring (since the EU isn't canon we don't know if Leia/Han or Luke's offspring exist or are force sensitive) we forget that most of the Jedi Order and Sith were built on children that were discovered that have force affinity. In fact the passage of force abilities is shown in the narrative as an anomaly, outside the norm.

Since the Clone Wars cartoon is canon, let's talk about Ahsoka. Ahsoka was FOUND BY MASTER PLO KOON AT THE AGE OF THREE in a marketplace. It's never stated, but if her parents were also force sensitive, but my clue is, if they were, they would have taken here to the Jedi for testing at birth.

So, it isn't about family... It's about these microscopic organisms that live in peace and harmony with the force and the person they are end to use force powers, for good, evil, or a shade of gray. It really isn't much different than people born with special skills or powers from other works of fictio and It does required training to use the powers instead of coming naturally.

I think you're being a bit harsh with that first sentence, but whatever. All I was proposing was an alternate mechanism for the passage of the Force. I'm fine with you disagreeing with it, but please do contain your rage.

ADDENDUM: I was so off-put by your nerd-rage in the first sentence that I didn't even bother to think about the rest of your post, at least not in conscious foreground. However, it still rattled around in the background, and some issues became flagged.

First, while the Jedi themselves were forbidden to marry and have children, that doesn't mean that they didn't do so in secret. Further, the whole point of Luke and Leia being offspring of Anakin and Padme was that they, Luke and Leia, had inherent their Force affinity from their parents. Further, the Jedi built their numbers by locating children with Force affinity, but how was it that these children would develop the population of midichlorians to have significant Force affinity in the first place? Do the midichlorians just randomly decide to have a population explosion in some child and start reproducing like mad in the child's body until they which some determined limit? Why only in a child? Why not an adult, if the midichlorians can just suddenly change their population on a whim?

If the inheritance factor is removed, be it midichlorians, genes, or even my silly spiritual resonance, then Force affinity becomes a purely random event, and there's nothing significant about Luke and Leia. The fact they were offspring from Anakin and Padme is pure coincidental.

Oh, also, as it was explained to me once, the REASON the Jedi was prohibited from marrying and having children was precisely to avoid concentration of Force affinity, precisely BECAUSE it is passed from parent to child. It was to maintain balance; otherwise, the Jedi could easily just take over the galaxy within a couple generations, and that would be the end of it all. In fact, it is mentioned that this rule existed to avoid Force-strong family dynasties.

Wookieepedia has this to say on the subject of how one becomes Force-sensitive:
People could have been Force-sensitive by three known means. Either they inherited it by a Force-sensitive family member (which was often the case), acquired the sensitivity through random mutation or evolution, or, in rare cases, one could have been artificially imbued with sensitivity with the Force, such was the case of the Reborn and Sith Cultists.
It explicitly mentions inheritance from a Force-sensitive parent as being a mechanism. The thing is, Force-sensitivity is dispersed amongst many different races and individuals. However, due to events, it can be concentrated within particular individuals. It is even mentioned in Wookieepedia that it is not necessary for one to even be sentient to have significant Force-sensitivity, but this sensitivity is still passed through an inheritance mechanism. Hence, there IS a passage from parent to child.

The bottom line here is, in my opinion, your calling my statement the dumbest thing on the net this week is very much unwarranted, over-reactionary, and just plain wrong in light that the logic of the remainder of your post is in apparent contradiction to observation.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
geizr said:
Brockyman said:
geizr said:

I think you're being a bit harsh with that first sentence, but whatever. All I was proposing was an alternate mechanism for the passage of the Force. I'm fine with you disagreeing with it, but please do contain your rage.

ADDENDUM: I was so off-put by your nerd-rage in the first sentence that I didn't even bother to think about the rest of your post, at least not in conscious foreground. However, it still rattled around in the background, and some issues became flagged.

First, while the Jedi themselves were forbidden to marry and have children, that doesn't mean that they didn't do so in secret. Further, the whole point of Luke and Leia being offspring of Anakin and Padme was that they, Luke and Leia, had inherent their Force affinity from their parents. Further, the Jedi built their numbers by locating children with Force affinity, but how was it that these children would develop the population of midichlorians to have significant Force affinity in the first place? Do the midichlorians just randomly decide to have a population explosion in some child and start reproducing like mad in the child's body until they which some determined limit? Why only in a child? Why not an adult, if the midichlorians can just suddenly change their population on a whim?

If the inheritance factor is removed, be it midichlorians, genes, or even my silly spiritual resonance, then Force affinity becomes a purely random event, and there's nothing significant about Luke and Leia. The fact they were offspring from Anakin and Padme is pure coincidental.

Oh, also, as it was explained to me once, the REASON the Jedi was prohibited from marrying and having children was precisely to avoid concentration of Force affinity, precisely BECAUSE it is passed from parent to child. It was to maintain balance; otherwise, the Jedi could easily just take over the galaxy within a couple generations, and that would be the end of it all. In fact, it is mentioned that this rule existed to avoid Force-strong family dynasties.

Wookieepedia has this to say on the subject of how one becomes Force-sensitive:
People could have been Force-sensitive by three known means. Either they inherited it by a Force-sensitive family member (which was often the case), acquired the sensitivity through random mutation or evolution, or, in rare cases, one could have been artificially imbued with sensitivity with the Force, such was the case of the Reborn and Sith Cultists.
It explicitly mentions inheritance from a Force-sensitive parent as being a mechanism. The thing is, Force-sensitivity is dispersed amongst many different races and individuals. However, due to events, it can be concentrated within particular individuals. It is even mentioned in Wookieepedia that it is not necessary for one to even be sentient to have significant Force-sensitivity, but this sensitivity is still passed through an inheritance mechanism. Hence, there IS a passage from parent to child.

The bottom line here is, in my opinion, your calling my statement the dumbest thing on the net this week is very much unwarranted, over-reactionary, and just plain wrong in light that the logic of the remainder of your post is in apparent contradiction to observation.
My apologies.... was a rough morning and this article ticked me off a bit more than it should. Again, sorry

anima110

Apr 8, 2009
OK lest start off by making it less rare so lets say 1 in 100 are force sensitive and lets say that of that 1 in 100 only 1 in 10 are able to use it to a point to become jedi/sith so then only 1 in about 1000 become jedi/sith now there are also whole races in star wars that are force sensitive, that part one part to is lest look at this like cancer so the "midichlorians" work as a kind of white blood cell that are made by your body and act as a conduit to the force thinking of this as genetic would not work the only real way to look at it as genetic would be to say every one has the gen to become force sensitive

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Funny how one writes an inflammatory article like that then run away. Not impressed with you sir.

"I will bash one of the best known and liked sci-fi modern tale, set it aflame then disappear to look at the thick black smoke from a safe distance. Because, you know, once I'm off the top of my soapbox, I have no will to defend my position."

In short when I read a troll article like this, I snicker and laugh at the irony.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
But thankfully, The Force Awakens can change everything.
No, it can't.

No, it won't.

It's like Episode III all over again.

Fanboy butthurt will echo across the universe and I will say, "You're surprised?"

Star Wars is dead.

Dead in a way that makes us question if it was ever really alive.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
This exercise doesn't really explain Anakin's existence though. That would mean his mother was at least a force gene carrier to some extent, but if the Force exerts its will (for lack of a better term) through midichlorians then how does that result in spontaneous conception in someone whose phenotype suggests lack of Force competence? Cultural traits as a slave perhaps, but one would think that the natural signs of Force competence like precognition would have shown through at some point. Now the Force acts more like gravity than a supernatural force that one can attune to like Thu'um in Skyrim through intense training or having natural genetic affinity. And then there's things like the article said with multiple alliles contributing to a single trait and co-dominence as well as binary dominent-recessive traits, etc.

Uhh...now I feel forced to side with the Prequal Deniers or accept them as bad and use the Dragonborn from Skyrim as my preferred model for a "chosen one" trope.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What Force is never needed to be explained in the first place. Should have been left as an unknown power that some people can use. Explaining what it is with the mitochlorians thing makes it lose a lot of its awe.