This is (Maybe) goodbye

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Delete this if not allowed. (I guess the discussion value in this post is that I need advice)

This is a goodbye, I'm hoping it won't be but my situation is pretty dire. My girlfriend is kicking me out by the end of this week if I do not have a job and I will be homeless. So I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for making my experience here on The Escapist an interesting one. I've met lots of people and made some friends, seen so many amazing video series and had lots of laughs. I hope I will find a job very soon but that hope is fading fast. So this is goodbye.

Sincerely,

Quiet Stranger

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I don't even know you, but I am here to say that may you have the very best of luck in life. She's very fickle and harsh but hopefully you find a way to get through your time.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I don't know what will happen but try to stay strong, we'll still be here for you when you get back on your feet. 2006 is an impressively early join date, Warcry I presume :)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I recommend that you go get one of those jobs you'd normally never consider, liek a garbage man or something. Though I guess that requires some kind of credentials too, but you know what I mean: One of those just-till-I-get-back-on-my-feet jobs. Assuming that's an option, of course.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I'm going to assume that you don't speak French. I found this blog post [http://www.mtlblog.com/2014/10/10-english-speaking-jobs-in-demand-in-montreal-right-now/#] and the tone was strangely defeatist. I know, a single blog post isn't enough to get a feel for living in a city, but there's something strangely familiar about what's said in it.

I said I assumed you don't speak French because even the most basic jobs probably require it in Quebec, hence your unemployment. Did you look into enrolling into the free classes [http://www.mtlblog.com/2014/10/10-english-speaking-jobs-in-demand-in-montreal-right-now/#] offered by the government? There are conditions to be met of course.

There has to be a temporary job you can get while looking for something better. I would recommend starting at something like a gas station--some place small--and apply at every local business you can see. Then work your way up from there. Try to apply to at least 20 businesses a day. A week isn't enough time to hear about/get hired from the sort of business that would list on a local website, but it's still worth a shot. Certainly, even working as a dishwasher is better than the thought of being homeless, right?

Twenty applications a day. Can you do that?

Also, have you been to Emploi Quebec [http://www.emploiquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/]?

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
I've lived on the streets before. I don't know your exact circumstances - I was in Hawaii under a tropical climate, so yours may differ. Regardless, this is my experience:

One of your priorities is to find a sleep space. Not having sleep will wreck your body way faster than not having food. I ended up sleeping during the day in public spaces and being active at night.

Food is significantly easier to come by than what I at first believed. We live in such a wasteful society that we throw half of it away.

I recommend buying a 24 hour gym membership, which provides washing facilities, a possible place to store supplies (check their locker policies), and exercise. It's important to be physically fit when you're a street urchin, and regular exercise also gives you something to do with the large amounts of free time you will soon have.

90% of what you encounter will be shit. But sleeping under the stars and seeing the sunrise every day wasn't bad.

You will suddenly realize everything you've taken for granted.

Our culture is totally unsustainable with scifi levels of wealth inequality and an economic system that has failed to adapt to our technological advancement. There is a massive displacement of human labor by automation going on.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
I wish you all the best, hope it doesn't get too bad and that you'll be back on the escapist someday soon! Hang in there and you'll have one of hell of a story to tell your kids one day when they whine about not getting what they want

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
2006? Damn, and I thought I was an old member.

Regardless, I hope a job will pull through, even if it's a menial bullshit job. Hopefully it's just a temporary goodbye and we'll see you again when you're back on your feet. Surely that must be possible.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
Wishing you the best man. If you do get kicked out, the Salvation Army offers a lot of services. Looks like there might be programs in your area too, look it up by province and there should be a few resources. I'd suggest getting the info you can while you have a stable internet connection.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
the_dramatica said:
Dump your girlfriend and move in with your family.
That may not be an option considering he's saying that he's likely to end up homeless, not everyone has family or a good relationship with their family...

In any case that sucks, I remember seeing you around and it sucks that you have to go that way.

Oh shit you're the guy that used to have the silent hill rabbit as an avatar!? I think.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Have you looked into self employment working from home?

I do this myself through this website: http://www.contractworld.jobs/

Certain contractors are always hiring (Pizza Hut) and it requires no background skill or education. It's entry level stuff of course so expect your pay to be awful. In fact it's pay per call and things aren't always busy so earning less than minimum wage some hours will be a real possibility.

Still, you essentially choose your hours (self employed remember) and work as many as you need to in order to survive.

I've never worked with contractor personally...I was fortunate enough to get in with the equivalent of AAA emergency roadside. It's a much better contractor IMO but I've worked under that website for 3 years now.

Some money is better than no money and they are hiring now.
Not much to lose.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Quiet Stranger said:
Delete this if not allowed. (I guess the discussion value in this post is that I need advice)

This is a goodbye, I'm hoping it won't be but my situation is pretty dire. My girlfriend is kicking me out by the end of this week if I do not have a job and I will be homeless. So I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for making my experience here on The Escapist an interesting one. I've met lots of people and made some friends, seen so many amazing video series and had lots of laughs. I hope I will find a job very soon but that hope is fading fast. So this is goodbye.

Sincerely,

Quiet Stranger
Tell us about yourself, your education, your hopes. Perhaps we can help you out better that way.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Start makings plans now for your first night. You dont want to be stuck with nowhere to sleep and nothing to eat. Figure out where charities for food and hopefully a place to sleep are. Id suggest finding some actual homeless people on the street and ask them for advice on where to go in your neighbourhood. Just make sure you ask more than one, because you could get a crazy one first time. Try to find a legal charity that will give you a room, otherwise you might just have to try something else. Sleeping somewhere illegal is better than freezing to death depending on your climate. If you get arrested you get a free room anyways lol.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
There are temp agencies you can apply to. They'll put you into temporary jobs and if you're really good at a job the employer can hire you away from the temp agency. I know in Alberta we have vans with phone numbers on the side for day labor, you call the number in the morning, they pick you up and pay cash. But yeah, give us some more info; area, basic work experience etc.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
babinro said:

Certain contractors are always hiring (Pizza Hut) and it requires no background skill or education. It's entry level stuff of course so expect your pay to be awful. In fact it's pay per call and things aren't always busy so earning less than minimum wage some hours will be a real possibility.

Still, you essentially choose your hours (self employed remember) and work as many as you need to in order to survive.

I've never worked with contractor personally...I was fortunate enough to get in with the equivalent of AAA emergency roadside. It's a much better contractor IMO but I've worked under that website for 3 years now.

Not much to lose.
Is that really legit? I'm facing temporary (hopefully) unemployment due to bankruptcy, so any quick thing I could fall into would be great.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Is that really legit? I'm facing temporary (hopefully) unemployment due to bankruptcy, so any quick thing I could fall into would be great.
Hang on a sec, weren't you asking about building a new PC last year? Did you ever do that?

I'm sorry to hear about your bankruptcy; the rules changed several years ago and it's become even more of a pain from what I've heard. What happened to that school you were going to attend?

[hr]

I take it from the OP's absence from this thread that, well, hopefully he's too busy applying at places to check back here. Wherever you are, bub, know that at least a dozen randoms online are pulling for you!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Frezzato said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Hang on a sec, weren't you asking about building a new PC last year? Did you ever do that?

I'm sorry to hear about your bankruptcy; the rules changed several years ago and it's become even more of a pain from what I've heard. What happened to that school you were going to attend?

[hr]

I take it from the OP's absence from this thread that, well, hopefully he's too busy applying at places to check back here. Wherever you are, bub, know that at least a dozen randoms online are pulling for you!
Those plans all kinda fell through. I still wish I could go to the DAVE school, but theres just no way without a private loan and the problem is I wouldn't be able to pay that off while going to this school.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
babinro said:

Not much to lose.
Yeah, I was referred to this site from a co-worker at a call center a while back and opted to try it out when the center later closed down. I've been working from home for about 3 years now through that site. First with Direct Energy and now with AAA emergency roadside.

It's not a scam and it works for me but there are reasons why this type of work isn't exactly ideal for everyone.

1) You're considered to be self employed. Meaning you receive absolutely no benefits and are naturally responsible for your own work expenses. You'll get some of this back at tax time but all of it is out of pocket upfront and you'll still be paying most of it. You have to PAY for training as well. It's their only real means of weeding out application trolls. It sucks to pay for training and earn nothing while being trained but from a business perspective it makes sense for them to do this. You'll also earn less at first as you adapt to the job but this improves with time as you'd expect.

2) Contracts that are pay per call rather than pay per hour can easily lead to hours or entire shifts where you earn less than minimum wage. This is naturally very frustrating but the contractors are good at letting you leave early when call volume dies down. On the upside there are times you'll quite a bit per hour when calls go smoothly. I'd say it averages out in the end but you'll definitely want to focus on working peak times.

3) A few people who work on this site full time (I only work part time hours) will ultimately work for more than one contract because of reasons mentioned in point number 2. A second contractor with unique sets of peak hours means you'll have more peaks hours to earn optimum pay.

4) The contracts that are hiring frequently (the fast food ones) are likely doing so for a reason. They are the least desirable of the projects available and likely the most mundane of the jobs as well. Being a fast food order taker over the phone likely involves doing the same repetitive action every 60 seconds for as long as you choose to work. But if you need money right away they are what's available. You can get your free to play mobile gaming face on while working, lol. Once a year or so one of the more in depth contracts might open up and you should jump all over it. More engaging and satisfying. More potential for pay as well if it's in sales.

Those realities aside I love the obvious benefits that come with working at home and being largely in control of what work schedule you want. As well as being able to change that work schedule as you please to plan ahead for things outside of work.

Note: This site has naturally made me curious about a LOT of other online jobs but I always assume they are either scams or tremendously misleading about potential earnings so I've never bothered taking the chance on them.