This is Not Pac-Man

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
This is Not Pac-Man

What looks like Pac-Man, sounds like Pac-Man, but isn't Pac-Man?

This is not Pac-Man. Ceci n'est pas un Pac-Man. Sure, the footage you can see to the right quite clearly resembles Pac-Man, but Pac-Man it is not.

Stabyourself.net's deceptively titled Not Pac-Man is a cute take on Namco's age old drug-taking, ghost-consuming simulator, with one interesting twist; you don't control Pacman. Instead, you can rotate the level (perhaps Level-Man or Map-Man would be better titles?), and let gravity take care of the movement. The game's rules are otherwise unchanged; take pills, eat fruit. That being said, the fact Pacman no longer uses his mouth to eat does raise some awkward, uh, anatomical questions.

Perhaps the promise of a physics-enabled nega-Pac-Man isn't enough to warrant a free download from gaming connoisseurs such as yourselves. Well, according to its very informative blurb, the game also offers an "Advanced multi-data scoring system optimized for professional competitive gaming events: also known as 'high scores'," as well as steering wheel, joystick, touchscreen and mouse support.

Stabyourself was founded by game creator, Maurice Guégan, and web designer, Sa?o Smolej, in 2011. The studio is most famous for its surprisingly fully-featured Super Mario Bros. and Portal mashup, Mari0. All of the studio's games are free and open source.

Not Pac-Man is available on Windows, Linux and OSX.

Source: Stabyourself [http://stabyourself.net/notpacman/]

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Kinda reminds me of the special stages in Sonic 4 Episode 1. It was like in the original, but you control the stage instead of Sonic himself. That kind of control can be quite challenging, and it looks like it with the Pac-Man walls and everything.

Jan 12, 2012
It looks vaguely interesting, but the lack of independently moving ghosts makes me think it's more like those sealed mazes with ball bearings rather than Pac-Man.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
As interesting this looks I think it is too confusing for my taste. Also I don't really like PacMan. Good work anyway though.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I got motion sick there, so not for me then. Also guessing it is horribly confusing when you start spinning.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I would like to see a video of this where the stage is the fixed reference system. That should be confusing.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
This is a lot harder than it sounds. Works surprisingly well though, given that they changed nothing else.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Props for taking something that is longstanding and classic and giving the game a new spin (pun not intended).

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
I'd like to say that if you like Not Pacman, try their game Not Tetris. It's fantastic. Tetris with physics.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
It looks vaguely interesting, but the lack of independently moving ghosts makes me think it's more like those sealed mazes with ball bearings rather than Pac-Man.
Well it is called "Not Pac-Man". :p

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Houseman said:
There are so many games like this, and this one gets press because it's framed in the context of a licensed property that everyone knows about?

I jelly.
Indeed. And this isn't even available for smartphones and tablets, which could use the actual tilt of the device to control movement.