This is one of those inconvenient moral decisions.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
It's really easy to just say "yes" I'd save my buddy, and earn yourself a nice little "goodguy badge." And I'd like to say that I would go to prison to save my friend. But the fact is, I don't know if I would or if I wouldn't. I'd probably think it was the right thing to do, but if I was too scared to go ahead with it then it doesn't matter what I would think was right.

This is one of those hypotheticals that really has to be tested with a "put up or shut up," and since it's a bit unlikely that such a situation would actually occur, I can't forsee an empirical test taking place any time soon.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Combined said:
I'd say string him/her/it up. If they committed a crime, they knew the consequences. Justice must be done, even if it's your friend or family member.
I agree, actually.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
miracleofsound said:
Hmmm, my buddy's neck or my asshole... which to save... tough choice
Quite the...

I personally would say it really depends on the friend. After a while with someone you know their true nature, and if they're the crime driven type then I'm not gonna save his neck for my asshole.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
As odd as it sounds, a little life in prison would be good for me :D (1. PLEASE don't tell me about how street life is too tough for anyone other than yourself, I hate hearing that on the internet. 2. I'm not gay, getting bum-raped isn't my objective >_>)

I would probably do it, though it depends on the person. Call me evil if you want, I won't waste time for a stranger.

Khedive Rex

Jun 1, 2008
Honestly it'd depend on what I was doing at the time. My instict (assuming this is one of my good friends and not merely an acquaintance) would be too serve the time in prison; three years isn't all that long and it's certinaly worth my friends life. However, thats assuming things are sort of as they are now.

It's summer, I don't really have a whole lot on my plate, it just sort of feels like a big wait before real things start happening. Under those circumstances I can justify taking three years out of my life. But if I was, for example, married and had a kid, I'd have to think real hard about whether it was worth it. My instinct would still be to go but I might not because I have more important things happening. The same would be true if I was running my own company or generally being succesful and going places in life. That would make the choice much much harder becuase I'd have to abandon any progress I'd made to save my friend's life as opposed to just delaying making progress.

... It's a tough decision. I guess the real question is, how much would I lose? I'm going to lose something either way but, whereas the value of my friend's life is fixed, the circumstances of my life are constantly changing. If I had to choose between which to lose I'd choose the one that was less valuable.

Hmm... I always feel bad reducing ethical problems to value ratios. I feel like it dehumanizes the situation. Let me say that it would undoubtedly be my first inclination to save my friend.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
lolmynamewastaken said:
3 years in prision is nothing if it saves some one's life...
But your life would probably end up being taken.
You'd be scarred from your experience in prison if you lived through the whole ordeal. You'd probably end up getting raped, beaten, shanked, choked, etc, etc, etc...
It would be best if you just let the man get hanged if you're thinking about saving lives, because you'd probably end up doing a few of those things to some other people just to stay alive in the swarming hell that is the U.S. Prison system.

So, in the end, your friend getting hanged is the best course of action.