This is the hour of the Ultramarines!!! (Warhammer 40k announcement)

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
iwinatlife said:
Heroes of Might and magic 40k sounds 7 different kinds of amazing....As long as it is heroes 3/5 era none of this terrible 6 and 7 bullshit
I am just surprised no such Turned Based Strategy Game like the ones I mentioned were made in the 40k setting.

You think it would be marriage made from heaven? Imagine: A much more deeper Advanced Wars-like game in the 40k setting with awesome Battle and Kill animations when you attack?

I mean the closest thing we got was the Chess Game:

Total warhammer 40k would also be great

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I am just surprised no such Turned Based Strategy Game like the ones I mentioned were made in the 40k setting.

You think it would be marriage made from heaven? Imagine: A much more deeper Advanced Wars-like game in the 40k setting with awesome Battle and Kill animations when you attack?

I mean the closest thing we got was the Chess Game...
There was a turn based tactical game on the PSP ... you basically run a squad through a whole bunch of levels. Buy wargear, level up soldiers, I think it had destructible terrain ... rather heavy placement focussed.

Not exactly what you're talking about but I remember it being fun.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
iwinatlife said:
Samtemdo8 said:
iwinatlife said:
Heroes of Might and magic 40k sounds 7 different kinds of amazing....As long as it is heroes 3/5 era none of this terrible 6 and 7 bullshit

I mean the closest thing we got was the Chess Game:

Total warhammer 40k would also be great
Well the only way for that to work is if all the gun using factions don't use their guns.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Well the only way for that to work is if all the gun using factions don't use their guns.
Why? Every Faction has both right? I mean Creative assembly does not have the best record with guns but I think they could make it work.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Gethsemani said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Dude this is Warhammer. MORE IS MORE!
Back in my days (10 years ago by now), GW had a very strong design department (arguably why we begun with FB/40k and not Warmachine, which was cheaper). Even if the GRIMDARK was pronounced even then, the models at least were suitable for the 45mm scale they were in. Ever since Age of Sigmar it seems GW has gone more towards MOAR DETAILS EVERYWHERE, which just looks messy on a tabletop, especially when put next to 9 other miniatures with similar amounts of detail.
They are deeply afraid about 3D-Printing and people getting proxies and even clones for cheap. The only "solution" is to apply more details which the printers can't yet replicate in a good quality.

I don't think it will save them.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Satinavian said:
They are deeply afraid about 3D-Printing and people getting proxies and even clones for cheap. The only "solution" is to apply more details which the printers can't yet replicate in a good quality.

I don't think it will save them.
It is? I just came off a stint in Flames of War, which admittedly is 15mm and a whole different beast (about five times the minis, for one) but their solution was to simply live with the fact that 15mm WW2 is a very saturated market with many possible suppliers of minis. All they require is that at least 70% of your army in any tournament is made up of Battlefront models, the rest can be from any other company, as long as it represents the right vehicle or squad (so no Panzer Is dressing up as Tigers).

Battlefront seemed healthy enough as a company to me and people were generally of the mind that they'd splurge for Battlefront minis if they could afford them (though coming from GW made everything BF seem ultracheap to me...), but that some other companies provided good minis if you were on the cheap.

GW has been moneygrubbing for the last 2 decades, it seems odd to me that they just don't trust their consumers to see the quality of GW minis. They still are among the highest quality and high quality sculpts on the market, so they should capitalize on that. Then again, GW seems more in line with your average computer game publisher then they do most other miniature wargame companies...

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
GW has always been a bit confrontational regarding use of other minis. And during the last decade they lost a lot of market share. Which made them even more protective and more obsessed with scapegoats.

Iirc they even outright statet once that they went for more detail because of 3D-printing around the time of the launch of Age of Sigmar.

And yes, all Flames of War games i have seen had 3rd party models and no one ever complained.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Bobular said:
I still just want my Dorn model!

I have thousands of points worth of Imperial Fist legionaries with no-one to lead them and rather than bring out a model for a character we've had rules for for ages they bring out a second boring model of Guilliman!
Dorn models? But Imperial Fist Centurions have been around for awhile, haven't they? (I kid, I kid)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zontar said:
Oh great, Papa Smurf is awake. Why couldn't we get a more competent one like Russ or Vulcan? (as if they aren't coming soon)
A Furry and a Pyromaniac with a fetish for Lizards is more competent than Space Julius Caeser?

Anyway On Topic the book is out:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gathering-Storm-Rise-of-the-Primarch-ENG-HB

And may I just say it has some splendid looking art illustrations:

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I was playing 40K in the early/mid '90's, and I think that's the last time I knew what the frak was going on in the 40K universe...

Has anyone made a fully featured mod overhaul to turn XCOM 2 into a 40K [or Necromunda] game yet? No? Damn it.

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
Slightly off topic, but are the myths of 40K being ludicrously expensive to get into as true as people say they are? Ive been interested in the fluff for years and recently, I've thought of getting into the tabletop game itself.

To be on topic, the spiritual liege strikes again, it seems. Hey, maybe they'll even things out by bringing back one of the traitor primarchs.

Aug 31, 2012
Generalissimo said:
Slightly off topic, but are the myths of 40K being ludicrously expensive to get into as true as people say they are? Ive been interested in the fluff for years and recently, I've thought of getting into the tabletop game itself.
Getting into 40K isn't too bad if you want to play Space Marines or Chaos Marines. The introductory boxed set is pretty decent. It's expanding from there that piles on the dollars/pounds/euro etc

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Generalissimo said:
Ebay can be a really sound bet for getting into 40k, you can usually find starter boxes for like 70 USD that usually retail for like 85 USD- if you want a larger army, it can cost a lot of money, speaking from personal experience. Games Workshop also puts out some larger box-sets for certain factions that can save you a few bucks (Usually, these sets get you around 5 units, but you pay the price that you would for 4 separate ones.)

But honestly, after paint, primer, glue, clippers, pallet(s), and the miniatures themselves, it can be pretty expensive, but not necessarily 1000s of dollars.

You also need quite a bit of time to build and paint everything, so starting off small likely won't hurt your wallet as much, and will stop you from getting overwhelmed by boxes of shit you still need to build, and built miniatures you still need to paint.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the cost of a rulebook and codex, which can also be pretty expensive. (I think the current 40k rulebook is like 80$? and then you need a codex for your army which ranges from 35-60$) Again- Ebay can be helpful with this, I got my codices second hand for pretty cheap- you can also probably find a small-form of the rulebook for pretty cheap on Ebay as well- or buy one of the starter sets, which tend to be "Good deals" but might include two armies you have no interest in.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Generalissimo said:

To be on topic, the spiritual liege strikes again, it seems. Hey, maybe they'll even things out by bringing back one of the traitor primarchs.
Its fair to say I got priced out of the hobby not long after the blood angel codex that upset a lot of people came out. Its not just that the miniatures are expensive for what they are, but it felt like the prices were constantly being bumped up, and in some cases you were forced to buy a lot of stuff you didn't want or need for stuff you wanted.

Cool new exarchs you'd like for your existing aspect warrior squads? buy this boxset that contains a bunch of miniature you already owned.

This was frustrating particularly for me as when I first got into the hobby, converting miniatures to make them unique and/or personal was highly encouraged, and you could mail order specific components to get just what you needed. By the time I moved on, you were expected to buy the whole figure or boxset if you wanted just one part.