This 'Me Before You' thing, and my (apparently insensitive) thoughts on it

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Hi all, I thought I'd get a bit more discussion from a more neutral source, I recently made a blog post about the whole 'Me Before You' thing since, apparently as someone with a disability I must deeply care and have an opinion, when it turned out I didn't several people I know just basically scolded me on Facebook for being an insensitive prick given the content of my post, (for context I'll mention I know a lot of disabled people) I'll copy and paste it here, and I'd appreciate some discourse on it from a less invested party

the question I'm basically asking here, is was I being a bit too insensitive, or are other being overly sensitive? (I know, "if you have to ask" but still, I think it's worth talking about) I'd also be very interested to see if anyone here agrees with me.

Okay so here's the content of the post:

Okay, given that I am physically disabled, I?ve been asked about this by a few people, and given that I have a lot of disabled people on my Facebook it?s been a difficult thing for me to get away from. (On a side note I don?t enjoy writing about disability, be it mine or just in general, I don?t find it difficult to talk about or anything, it?s just that the many disabled people I know (went to a special needs school so there are a fair few) seem to constantly complain about only being identified as disabled people, but then talk about nothing else, and I kind of think, if you want to be recognised for other things, then you should show people something else, rather than just complain, I?ll answer questions if they?re asked but it?s not something I like to focus on.)

For those reading who may not know, Me Before You is a drama film based on a novel of the same name, that as far as I can gather is about a disabled guy that falls in love with his caregiver and eventually kills himself rather than live like that and burden her with his care, so it?s basically like Million Dollar Baby but without all the Clint Eastwood and boxing.
For the people who basically want to know my opinion, I don?t really have one, I haven?t seen the film, and I don?t think I will. It just doesn?t seem like the kind of thing I?d enjoy, and after having read some reviews it doesn?t sound like a particularly good version of that kind of thing for those that do, even independent of the controversy (such as it is).

Okay so let?s start with why people are upset, I just gave a brief summary and probably huge oversimplification of the plot, after a bit of research there isn?t that much more to it apart from the minor details that the guy was not born disabled and acquired a spinal injury and with it quadriplegia, and that he?s also rich because if he wasn?t finding him attractive would just be weird wouldn?t it?
Essentially the reason people are upset is because the film allegedly romanticises suicide for the disabled, or at least normalises it, enforcing the idea that a life with a disability is not worth living and that disability and dignity are mutually exclusive, which is far from a new thing in cinema (all while using the hilariously hypocritical tagline ?live boldly?, a reference to the character?s last words to his caregiver via a letter) which is mixed messages to say the least (interestingly, apparently in the book he simply asked her to ?live well? which is slightly less contradictory, and makes me wonder why they went with the change,) I?ve heard a lot of people call this a ?disability snuff film.?
To be absolutely honest my biggest criticism of that premise is not that I find it offensive, I just find it lazy, a cheap shot at trying to get a sad ending in there to make the film more affecting than it has earned the right to be (remembering of course that all of this is conjecture, I?ve not seen the film and probably won?t.) and it hints at a lack of research, I can?t speak to the experience either, as I don?t have quadriplegia, though people seem to think that since I use a wheelchair that?s close enough, It really isn?t.

Again, I don?t have quadriplegia, so I don?t feel in the right to complain about any portrayal of it, I can?t honestly say I wouldn?t consider suicide because I don?t know what it?s like, for someone with Cerebral Palsy I?m actually quite low on the scale of actually being handicapped by it, I use a wheelchair outside, but I could easily get about on my knees without one if it were socially acceptable to do so outside of my house, I was also born with it, so I can?t speak to the shock of suddenly acquiring a disability as I?ve never known anything else. That said, the suicide thing does strike me as a lazy stock ending, this film in my eyes is guiltier of failing to raise my interest than offending me.

The thing that annoys me most about the whole situation surrounding this film, is the bombardment of assumptions that I, along with any other even slightly disabled people, regardless of severity, circumstance or context, must give a shit, I really don?t. As far as I?m concerned this whole debacle has only served to allow an average-to-mediocre film (if the critics consensus on Rotten Tomatoes is to be believed) more attention than it deserved to have, which only helps the film, and if anything will probably encourage more like it because controversy is very profitable.

I?m not going to say I can?t see why a lot of disabled people are a bit upset over this film, I?m not even going to say they?re wrong to feel that way, it?s not my place to decide that. If you really want to get into the politics of it I?d say the bigger problem (of which both sides of the argument are guilty) is the grouping together of disabled people as one entity. It?s not a community, I don?t know Stephen Hawking and I resent the assumption that I automatically give a shit about other disabled people, because unless I know them, I probably don?t. (I have this argument with my mother every time she scolds me for not watching the Paralympics because I?m ?supposed to be inspired.?)

In summary, in regard to the film, I don?t think it was meant to offend, I?m a big fan of Hanlon?s razor as a principle with these things, never attribute to malice what is more easily explained by carelessness or stupidity. Also, unless you yourself have quadriplegia, I think it?s a bit presumptuous to get offended by the notion of someone with it choosing to end their own life. I don?t know what it?s like, and neither do you, having said that, it does feel like taking the easy way out to end the film that way.

So my conjecture is, the worst thing Me Before You appears guilty of, is getting a lot of attention without necessarily being a compelling enough film to warrant it. I?m more annoyed with the people who assume I?d be offended than I am with the film itself.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I have nothing to say except that the way it's titled, Me Before You, makes it seem like the girl is gonna push him into traffic cause she's tired of taking care of him

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Lionsfan said:
I have nothing to say except that the way it's titled, Me Before You, makes it seem like the girl is gonna push him into traffic cause she's tired of taking care of him
That image made me laugh far more than I should have, I might go to see the film if I thought that was what was going to happen.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Honestly, from the way you describe the film, it sounds like one of those films made in a naked effort to earn an Oscar. You know the type. Character has some form of disability, that also doesn't disfigure them or alienate them to the audience in some way, but also makes them "sympathetic". It attempts to be insanely melodramatic and serious whether it deserves it or not. And, of course, has a "meaningful" ending. I can't say is an accurate description of the film, or if it succeeds if it is (and I don't care enough to even look up the film) but that is the sense I get from how you describe it.

Anyway, you sounded completely reasonable in your post in my opinion. You simply stated that you don't care about the movie and explained why. You also stated that there were subjects you didn't feel you could really talk about and explained why. Seems like a reasonable post. We aren't doing another AVGN thing where people ascribe things that the person never said to their statements are we?

All in all, I think you have a healthy attitude about the film. It doesn't interest you, so don't watch it. And I think you have a reasonable attitude towards the subject of quadriplegia, as well. Namely that you can't really relate to it and don't really know how you would react if you suddenly became quadriplegic in order to judge the film's apparent "message" on it.

That's my two cents. I fully expect someone else to come in and say that we're both wrong.

Apr 5, 2008
Perhaps it's a case of a lack of disabled folks on the big screen (excepting Oscar bait when combined with biopics) that means having one in a leading role is a big deal and thus of particular importance? I have only two thoughts I care to note. The first is major kudos to the OP for not giving a shit. I say this in earnest because like you said, people are giving it more attention and ascribing far more importance than a throwaway romantic drama deserves.

Second was on the non-troversy about his suicide and it being "romanticised" or "normalised". People are frikkin cowards who want controversial issues kept out of sight, out of mind. The same non-troversy surrounded Sansa's rape scene in Season 5 of GoT. Nothing was promoted, normalised, romanticised or the like. A horrible act was portrayed on screen. That is it. It is simply shown. It was meant to be shocking, graphic and brutal and if anyone *needs* to take a message a way it's that it's NOT normalised, but shown to be horrific.

In the case of the film, on the basis that his suicide is accurately drawn from the book upon which the film is based, then any viewers can simply be mad at the author. Forget complex characterisation, context, drama or story up until that point, something controversial happened, rabble rabble rabble.

As an aside, I must confess a guilty pleasure of sorts, that I've gone thru a LONG stretch of watching a LOT of romantic dramas. Dramas, NOT comedies. Unfortunately, movie makers take the two faces of Drama: "Comedy" and "Tragedy", far too seriously. It's like you can have something funny with a happy ending, something serious with a tragic ending and that's it. You cannot have something serious with a happy ending. In *almost* every single romantic drama (especially the seemingly unstoppable Nicholas Sparks variety), the entire film is spent establishing the feelings and teasing the relationship until it culminates in an outpouring of passion, followed swiftly by the exit of one party. They may get hit by a car, develop cancer, get shot, fall into a coma or any other number of stupid, bullshit, contrived and aggravating nonsense reasons to end it.

The issue is that in a romantic film, the entirety of the drama is based on the characters not being together but wishing they were. As such, the film will usually end when they get together since that's the end of the drama. But as it's not a comedy, the writer then kills one JUST to fuck with everyone because they think its added drama. There are a few, a very, very rare few where the couple both survive and are together at the end, but not many. Having one party commit suicide frankly isn't surprising, it would have been *more* surprising if they'd given the characters a happy ending. The only romance films that (consistently) have happy endings are romantic comedies aka. rom coms. There's a whole fucking market out there waiting to be cornered on romantic dramas that don't end in tragedy.

Maybe it's Romeo and Juliet's fault. The greatest love story ever told, everyone has to copy the ending o.o

PS. Leo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet reunited in 2008 for "Revolutionary Road" a "romantic" drama that is quite different in that unlike almost every, single other romance film, it tells the story after the couple are together, not the bit before :) ie. It's the story of an actual relationship.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Saltyk said:
Honestly, from the way you describe the film, it sounds like one of those films made in a naked effort to earn an Oscar. You know the type. Character has some form of disability, that also doesn't disfigure them or alienate them to the audience in some way, but also makes them "sympathetic". It attempts to be insanely melodramatic and serious whether it deserves it or not. And, of course, has a "meaningful" ending. I can't say is an accurate description of the film, or if it succeeds if it is (and I don't care enough to even look up the film) but that is the sense I get from how you describe it.

Anyway, you sounded completely reasonable in your post in my opinion. You simply stated that you don't care about the movie and explained why. You also stated that there were subjects you didn't feel you could really talk about and explained why. Seems like a reasonable post. We aren't doing another AVGN thing where people ascribe things that the person never said to their statements are we?

All in all, I think you have a healthy attitude about the film. It doesn't interest you, so don't watch it. And I think you have a reasonable attitude towards the subject of quadriplegia, as well. Namely that you can't really relate to it and don't really know how you would react if you suddenly became quadriplegic in order to judge the film's apparent "message" on it.

That's my two cents. I fully expect someone else to come in and say that we're both wrong.
I was prompted to ask more neutral people because a disturbing amount of the people I know are surprised I'm not outraged by the "message" of the film, and as I say people over PMs on Facebook have actively been arguing with (well more "at") me over this because essentially I don't see this as that big of a deal, and apparently people with disabilities are a collective, regardless of form or severity, as I say I think that belief held disturbingly on both sides is the real problem here if you wanted to get all political.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hmm, it doesn't sound like it has anything on this film, Inside i'm Dancing, with James McAvoy...Linkie;

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0417791/

It, um, has two titles apparently. But why is this new film getting all the attention as if it's breaking new ground? It sounds kind of watered down in comparison. That film above has many highs and lows, recommended for any movie lover i'd say. Isn't primarily a romance, but does cover the subject amongst others. Edit...The trailer is bad, don't watch it. The cheesy voice over stamps all across the depth the film has. Bloody trailers.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
apparently people with disabilities are a collective, regardless of form or severity.
Nobody in any position should act as part of a collective. It just makes you a target for those who hate collectives.

Anyway...
Looked over the first post a few times. Are you literally the only person out of all your friends who isn't quadriplegic? No? Then your friends are exactly the sort of people who'd get upset over the tiniest things possible.

As for this thing you mentioned besides them... Romance tragedy? Not entirely my sort of film or book. I'll pass on seeing enough of that to get my own opinions when I know how it ends now.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I think it's nice to see cynical and emotionally manipulative Oscar bait backfire.