This Mod Lets You Play The Witcher 3 in First Person

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
This Mod Lets You Play The Witcher 3 in First Person

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1338/1338235.jpgThere's a work-in-progress mod that will let you explore the world of The Witcher 3 from a first-person viewpoint.

The Witcher 3 is a phenomenal game. It's so good that it was named Game of the Year in 2015 by both our community [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165693-The-Escapists-2015-Game-of-the-Year]. But there was one thing that you couldn't do in the game, and that's play in first-person mode. Well, until the modders got hold of it.

Nexus Mods user Skacikpl [http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/users/184902/?tb=mods&pUp=1] has been working on a first person mod for the game since March. At the time, he said that it seemed "unlikely" that the mod would see a public release, unless he could overcome persistent technical issues. IT would appear that he's overcome at least some of them, as you can no play the mod yourself.

There are still some significant limitations, not the least of which is that combat in first person is basically impossible. When asked about the possibility of first-person combat in the YouTube comments, Skacikpl said, "Impossible, there are some engine-level tweaks that i cannot override that make combat a bad experience in FPP. And that's entirely besides controls." The mod pulls out to third-person in combat situations.

"Maybe if i had more insight into how some of the subsystems in the game worked (and a lot of more free time) I'd be able to override some of it for a more suitable solution, but for now i believe that having a decent exploration FPP experience is enough, Skacipl wrote.

That said, as you can see in the video above, it's a great way to explore the game's open world. A cautionary note, though. The mod is designed for use with a mouse and keyboard, and does not have proper controller support.

If you want to check it out, you can download the mod direct from the creator's site at this link [http://www.skacik.pl/test.zip].

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Finally,I can imagine that I`m playing the Elder Scrolls 6!

EDIT: Brain fart over,clarification,this does not mean that it will feel like I`m an Elder Scrolls game. Further clarification,I am dumb-ass. Reflection concluded.

EDITEDIT: Brain fart again. Clarification,I am not an Elder Scrolls game,I am a human being. If someone is kind enough,will they point me to the delete button if there is one?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I wish first person view had been included officially. Third person view is good for MMOs but nothing beats first person for really making the world feel immersive. In third person it always feels like you're playing a game. I still don't get why third person view is so popular among certain parts of the gamer community, especially on consoles.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
infohippie said:
I wish first person view had been included officially. Third person view is good for MMOs but nothing beats first person for really making the world feel immersive. In third person it always feels like you're playing a game. I still don't get why third person view is so popular among certain parts of the gamer community, especially on consoles.
Says you. I don't need to pretend I'm looking out fake eye's to be completely immersed. I also prefer to see the character in the world and how they mix-in with every detail. Including, I prefer the view generally in 3rd person.

I have no idea how first person makes it seem like less of a game. A lot things feel more repetitive in first person because of everything that fills up the screen constantly, from your hands with weapons, to enemy's getting close and personal.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Nazulu said:
infohippie said:
Says you. I don't need to pretend I'm looking out fake eye's to be completely immersed. I also prefer to see the character in the world and how they mix-in with every detail. Including, I prefer the view generally in 3rd person.

I have no idea how first person makes it seem like less of a game. A lot things feel more repetitive in first person because of everything that fills up the screen constantly, from your hands with weapons, to enemy's getting close and personal.
Well, third person view gives an unrealistically wide field of view around the character for a start. And it makes it obvious that you are issuing orders to a character. I find that makes it harder to get inside the skin of the character, as it were. Besides which, I simply prefer the way controls in first person feel like they map more accurately to the actual movements. It gives me a more intuitive reference frame. It's especially important in vehicle based games - a racing sim is far more enjoyable to me and easier to control from the driver's seat rather than looking over the roof, and Elite: Dangerous wouldn't be anywhere near so immersive if we were viewing from outside the spacecraft.

I'm not against third person view existing in most games, but equally, most games should also natively offer a FPV option. The only place I really enjoy 3PV is in MMOs, since the primary MMO gameplay for me is dressing up my character and admiring their outfits while they act in the world. 3PV is perfect for that.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
infohippie said:
Nazulu said:
infohippie said:

Well, third person view gives an unrealistically wide field of view around the character for a start. And it makes it obvious that you are issuing orders to a character. I find that makes it harder to get inside the skin of the character, as it were. Besides which, I simply prefer the way controls in first person feel like they map more accurately to the actual movements. It gives me a more intuitive reference frame. It's especially important in vehicle based games - a racing sim is far more enjoyable to me and easier to control from the driver's seat rather than looking over the roof, and Elite: Dangerous wouldn't be anywhere near so immersive if we were viewing from outside the spacecraft.

I'm not against third person view existing in most games, but equally, most games should also natively offer a FPV option. The only place I really enjoy 3PV is in MMOs, since the primary MMO gameplay for me is dressing up my character and admiring their outfits while they act in the world. 3PV is perfect for that.
Unrealistic is not a word I'd use. First person view is unrealistically restraint around the edges, and not enough first person games feel like they utilise the view properly to me. You always have horrors creep along the side of your vision that should be obvious to spot.

Also, I'd argue that giving orders in first person is exactly that, while in 3rd person you can see every choice you make which creates more impact for me. This includes the controls too. With first person view games feeling similar usually, in other views it depends how the movement fits into the world, which I find is more diverse. I can get stuck into games just watching the amazing animation of our own characters sometimes. And with a racing comparison, I honestly couldn't play a game like Mario Kart in first person, not especially when there are so many obstacles to look out for.

I don't hate first person games though. Hell! I reckon Half-Life has the best game design I've seen yet. And while I'm for more options to benefit more people (I believe that to be the future of games), I don't think every game that is 3rd person can be made just as well in 1st person. What I mean by that is; it depends how the game is designed around those certain aspects. Sometimes developers specifically make the design to perfectly suit the one view, and so I wouldn't want to play Half-Life in 3rd person because of those reasons.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Of all the great mods you could write about you chose one that doesn't even work properly because?

This mod is the shit: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1814/?

There are plenty of people who take issues with simplicity and lack of depth in The Witcher 3 combat. And this mod solves it. It changes the entire combat system, makes drastic changes to how you prepare for battles, how you level up, how skills work etc. It's absolutely brutal too.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
infohippie said:
Witchers combat wouldn't work in first person and to my knowledge no game has ever nailed it. Personally i like seeing my character in 3rd person and it plays better with a controller.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
kasperbbs said:
infohippie said:
Witchers combat wouldn't work in first person and to my knowledge no game has ever nailed it. Personally i like seeing my character in 3rd person and it plays better with a controller.
Can't stand controllers myself. That's the primary reason I don't play consoles, in fact. If I could plug a mouse and keyboard into a console and expect games to support them, I'd be much more likely to own a console.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Super cool, but impractical. Outright impossible to do combat properly. Only really good for the wow factor and screenshots. I love shit like this.