This Mod Wants to Fix Every Fallout 4 Bug

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
This Mod Wants to Fix Every Fallout 4 Bug

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1316/1316478.jpgThink you could ever fix every bug in Fallout 4? This mod aims to do just that.

Like many Bethesda games, Fallout 4 has its share of bugs. Although many of them will undoubtedly be fixed in patches, we all know that some Bethesda games have bugs that persist forever.

Or at least until the modders step in.

A new mod called the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch [http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598/] aims to "eventually fix every bug with Fallout 4 not officially resolved by the developers to the limits of the Creation Kit and community-developed tools, in one easy-to-install package."

If the patch notes [http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/Unofficial%20Fallout%204%20Patch%20Version%20History.html] posted here are any indication, they're already made significant headway.

You can grab this mod, and report any bugs you'd like to see fixed, over on the mod's page at NexusMods [http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598/].

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
And once again, it's up to us to fix the games they couldn't just leave in testing for another two months!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
JESUS CHRIST MAN! You have family and friends that care about you! Don't do this to yourself!

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
erttheking said:
JESUS CHRIST MAN! You have family and friends that care about you! Don't do this to yourself!
It's too late there have been unofficial patches since Oblivion they cannot be stopped now.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
SPARTANXIII said:
And once again, it's up to us to fix the games they couldn't just leave in testing for another two months!
Oh, they could have done that. But why would they when this is what happens?

Hell, having fans contribute in such a significant way even encourages more community and allegiance to the game. Even this article discussing it is free advertising.

However, I will say that Bethesda's willingness to be mod friendly should still be seen as a massive asset that other games simply can't boast.

sonicneedslovetoo said:
erttheking said:
It's too late there have been unofficial patches since Oblivion they cannot be stopped now.
I take it this means you're unaware of Morrowind's excellent modding community too?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Good luck with that. I'm reminded of an old programmer drinking song

99 bugs in the code
99 bugs in the code
Write 1 down, patch it around
183 bugs in the code

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
SPARTANXIII said:
Why test your game when the players willingly do it for you and even fix the bugs for free?

They keep doing this because people keep buying their games, and won't stop until people stop buying them or, more likely, the company just implodes.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
They want to fix every bug in a Bethesda game ...

All jokes aside, I do admire their ambition. I haven't played Fallout 4, but if it it anything like Bethesda's previous outings, they have their work cut out for them.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Chimpzy said:
They want to fix every bug in a Bethesda game ...

All jokes aside, I do admire their ambition. I haven't played Fallout 4, but if it it anything like Bethesda's previous outings, they have their work cut out for them.
Actually, these mod teams put out significant mods every game and it actually does tend to fix the major bugs.

I mean, I understand your skepticism. The first time I really encountered it I was playing Skyrim. As an experienced member of the software industry I rolled my eyes really hard at the unofficial patch then. But once I saw what it did, I realized that it's actually really that good.

It won't be every bug. A dev team won't fix every bug on a game like that no matter how much time they have. But they can do most of the relevant ones.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
If it weren't for the settlement system, I'd say that they wouldn't have had as much work as the previous Bethesda games. By Bethesda standards, I found the game to be fairly polished.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
SPARTANXIII said:
The mod makes it seem as if developers are lazy or incompetent.

You realize that the reason bugs exist in literally every game isn't because developers WON'T fix them all, but it's because the developers CAN'T fix them all.

Regardless of how long you delay and test a game out for, there will always be a fuck ton of bugs, and always that one guy who says "why didn't they just test it longer?"

These points apply thrice as hard for Elder Scrolls or Fallout games. Considering that the engine they all use is pretty bad, and the scopes are quite large.
you can always fix them in post-launch patches. Surely if the modders can do it developers can as well? i can understand the game bugs not being detected until large scale launch or bugs that cannot be fixed (like the bug called Gamebryo engine), but if a modder can fix it by changing one line in a code surely developer can patch it as well?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
You can squash out bigger bugs in post launch patches easily, but you're over simplifying it. It's never just "change one line of code", and there's no "cure all" button for every glitch which is found.

There's a reason that EVERY game has bugs. And the larger your game gets, the more likely that bigger bugs are going to make it into the game. A modder CLAIMED that they want to fix every bug, but they haven't actually done it. It's not like a bunch of devs are going to sit there saying "we can just fix the bugs?! WELL WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THAT".

There are a lot of factors to consider for the patches as well, such as, who are they assigning to the bug fixes? How difficult is it to get these fixes to consoles? And is it game breaking enough that it isn't worth just shipping with a larger patch when enough bugs are found/new content is shipped?
Now i dont know about Fallout 4 yet but A LOT of bug fixes in Fallout 3 were in fact just one like changed in the script of some NPC. The problem was finding the correct thing to change as game does have some very obscure dependencies (thanks Gamebryo). For example a script thats supposed to detect a NPC being killed for achievement was misfiring because the game would replace the dead NPC with ragdoll and ragdoll id does not match so game does not understand the NPC was killed. As far as i know this one still isnt solved because the engine refuses to realize that NPC dieing is actually that NPC being killed. fullnily enough this happens to only two named NPCs and not others.

I understand that not all bugs will get fixed, but bethesdas bugs and their expectation that modders will fix it anyway (and screw console gamers i guess) is stupid. The game has been out for 6 months now, its way too late to "just wait for a bigger patch". Heck, they are already finished with the DLCs even.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Lightknight said:
Actually, these mod teams put out significant mods every game and it actually does tend to fix the major bugs.

I mean, I understand your skepticism. The first time I really encountered it I was playing Skyrim. As an experienced member of the software industry I rolled my eyes really hard at the unofficial patch then. But once I saw what it did, I realized that it's actually really that good.

It won't be every bug. A dev team won't fix every bug on a game like that no matter how much time they have. But they can do most of the relevant ones.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the competence of those mod teams. I just pointed out they presumably have quite a challenge ahead of them, although their experience with the Creation Engine versions from previous games could probably help.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I admire their ambition.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Chimpzy said:
Lightknight said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the competence of those mod teams. I just pointed out they presumably have quite a challenge ahead of them, although their experience with the Creation Engine versions from previous games could probably help.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said I admire their ambition.
The bugs in Fallout 4 are quite minor compared to previous titles in their release state. I'd honestly call this the most polished-at-launch Bethesda game I've ever played.

It's just that now we fully live in the internet age where if anything is wrong they go screaming on the internet and be heard since everyone has an elevated voice now, whereas even 6 years ago we'd only hear about it through word of mouth or a magazine subscription if it was notorious enough.

Fallout 4's bugs are not bad. The worst one I personally encountered was one where a settler would occasionally find himself inexplicably on top of a roof with no point to get down from. I just built a stair case and never had to care about that again. In Skyrim I had to stay in one town for the first 3 months of production because Bethesda fucked up asset allocation on the ps3 and loading more towns meant the game would start to crash. I was one of the few that figured that out early and got 60+ hours in the game without console failure. That one was so bad I actually built a gaming rig during that time period and gleefully installed the unofficial patch on the pc version to great effect.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
SPARTANXIII said:
Why test your game when the players willingly do it for you and even fix the bugs for free?

They keep doing this because people keep buying their games, and won't stop until people stop buying them or, more likely, the company just implodes.
Don't you mean "Why test your game when the players willingly do it for you and even pay you for it!?"

Yeah I am getting sick of Bethesda relying on the community to do the work for them. Granted they do at least support modding, at least until they try to kill it off by putting it behind a pay wall. I swear their hanging by a thread as far as I'm concerned.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
sonicneedslovetoo said:
erttheking said:
Since Morrowind. News so old it's ancient.