This really chives my spuds, and I want your opinion

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
The librarian needs to go fuck himself. I read Jurassic Park's description of guys getting disemboweled when I was at that age. Hell, let's not even talk about what's in the Bible. If the kid feels he can handle it, then let him be.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
retyopy said:
kickyourass said:
I can see where the Checkout Human is coming from but unless he/she actively refused to let the kid check the book out I don't really see why this "chives your spuds" as you put it.

I would ask thoug, how is "Chives my spuds" supposed to translate into something bad? Chives on potatoes is awesome.
She was literaly not letting him check it out. as in, she would not swipe it. In the end, he left, but he came back an hour later and there was a new lady who let him check it out.
In that case I'm with you, I hope she got fired for it, I know I would if I did that.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
kickyourass said:
retyopy said:
kickyourass said:
I can see where the Checkout Human is coming from but unless he/she actively refused to let the kid check the book out I don't really see why this "chives your spuds" as you put it.

I would ask thoug, how is "Chives my spuds" supposed to translate into something bad? Chives on potatoes is awesome.
She was literaly not letting him check it out. as in, she would not swipe it. In the end, he left, but he came back an hour later and there was a new lady who let him check it out.
In that case I'm with you, I hope she got fired for it, I know I would if I did that.
I saw her a few days later, no luck.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
retyopy said:
Yes, I undersand that "chives my spuds" is not an actaul term, but if I keep saying it, it'll become in like Bob.
I second this becoming an Official Escapist Term.
No offense, but you're... Evil. So, you won't exactly further our cause. Now, if you were the root of all good... But nah.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Well unlike movies or video games I'm fairly certain that books don't actually have an age rating system in place so the Librarian in question didn't realy have any grounds upon which she could refuse to give the kid the book regardless of what her opinion on it's content may be.

Hell, given how hard it can be to get even adults to sit down with a novel for longer than ten minutes she should have been absolutely delighted that a kid actually wanted to read something of his own volition.

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
Well seeing as I started reading Stephen King at 9 (Pet Cemetery and Salems Lot for the win lol).... I think the librarian is completely in the wrong on this one. Let the kid read what he wants, at least he wants to actually read something that isn't Twilight or.... god I don't even know anymore bad books... I tend to avoid bad books, so I can't even give anymore examples.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
I can understand the idea of trying to protect kids from Song of fire and ice. Its brutal in the extreme. Certainly the single most disturbing Fantasy Ive ever read.

On the other hand, kudos to the kid for reading it. Its heavy going. So much so many adults would not challenge it. I also parrot what other have said, if the kid on on 3:1 or 3:2 any damage that might have been done has been done. I might be tempted to let the kids parents know, but I wouldnt stop him. If he was trying to get the first book, THEN I would notify the parents before giving it to him.

(A note here that sex, murder, rape etc. are just direction less concepts at that age. We know that rape is bad assuming we actually know what it is, but due to a probably complete and total lack of experience with sex in general that dealing with the ideas and volitions behind the act of rape is so alien as to be a mute point, in the same way most of us watch in profound confusion and amazement as someone with OCD painstakingly arranges and aligns the cutlery draw every time someone opens it and disturbs the neat stacks)

Certainly some kids should not be reading stuff like that at that age, but generally I would argue that type of child would be reading 100 page teen angst or rom com or not read at all rather than be tackling something like fire and ice.

In conclusion, I stick a parental advisory, or PG on it, recommend that parents read it first to ensure the series is suitable and hand them a copy of Magician, Eye of the World, The Magician's Guild, The Furies of Calderon or Name of the Wind in the meantime

Feb 13, 2008
retyopy said:
retyopy said:
Yes, I undersand that "chives my spuds" is not an actaul term, but if I keep saying it, it'll become in like Bob.
No offense, but you're... Evil. So, you won't exactly further our cause. Now, if you were the root of all good... But nah.
If I was the root of all good, why would I be here? ;)

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
retyopy said:

So a few weeks back, I was at the library, reading a book. I don't remember what it was, although I know it was generic and boring. And there was a kid, 11 or 12, trying to check out Storm of Swords. Which is book 3 in the Song of Fire and Ice if you didn't know. In which case I feel sorry for you. Anyway, checkout human being of some gender or other was giving him a really hard time about it. Which is understandable, because of all the sex and violence and such. But heres what chives my spuds: I was around his age when I read the first book. I liked it, got it, read the other books, diligently awaited the next books. WONDER! So you can see why it would get me a bit irritated. But I can also see where she's coming from. So... OPINIONS! What do YOU think? BECAUSE YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO MATTERS!

EDIT: A few people seem to think that it was library policy. It wasn't.
I'll be honest, I wasn't into reading books as a past time when I was 12... but I have in the last 3 years (22 now) started to make amends for that stupid lifestyle.

My point: after reading Game of Thrones recently and only just moving onto the 2nd book the other week, I can say that a lot of the context, concepts and details would go WAY over the average 12 year olds head.

That said, I think given a kid a challenging book is better then giving them a mind numbing game or letting them watch some brainless TV show. Also, kids should really know what sex is BEFORE their loins start doing all the talking. Would have made it FAR less awkward for me at least.

But then again... the writhing in those books is almost on par with Erotic literature... but with excess violence thrown in. Not sure kids need that at 11-12.

EDIT: Why you no like established phrases?

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Goddammit, I really want potatoes now.

And I find it funny virtually all other media has ratings, but books don't. The book I'm reading for school now has sex, violence and intense language yet you don't see it rated M for Mature.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I see from OP's profile he's American so this isn't really relevant but here in England you need to be an adult to rent any book which isn't in the children's section.

If your parents think you're mature enough to read adult books they can get you a young adult library card which unlocks all the adult books. At least that's how I remember it, it's been a long time since I needed a YA library card.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Actual said:
I see from OP's profile he's American so this isn't really relevant but here in England you need to be an adult to rent any book which isn't in the children's section.

If your parents think you're mature enough to read adult books they can get you a young adult library card which unlocks all the adult books. At least that's how I remember it, it's been a long time since I needed a YA library card.
AHA! So objectively, America is better in at least one respect! VICTORY!

Oct 12, 2011
Just a quick thought. I was reading H.P. Lovecraft back when I was 9 an it hasn't had any affect on me at all. IA IA Sub-Niggarath!
Er, ahem. At any rate, yes I think the book was advanced for the kid, but children NEED to read things that challenge them. They NEED to have the encouragement and the hurdles to overcome mentally to actually grow and develop!

The librarian might just have been trying to cover her and the library's respective butts, I suppose, but c'mon!

I teach evening university classes and I see far too many of my students coming in at the college level that have seemingly never been challenged mentally! It is a sad state of affairs and this kid should be lauded for not only reading, but reading something better than what he's "expected" to read!

Thank you for your attention. The soapbox is now closed.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Actual said:

What? Really? Is this new? My brother, sister and myself regularly borrowed fantasy books from the none children section at my local library.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
FreakSheet said:
Goddammit, I really want potatoes now.

And I find it funny virtually all other media has ratings, but books don't. The book I'm reading for school now has sex, violence and intense language yet you don't see it rated M for Mature.
When you said "intense language," I swear to a deity I don't belive in that I pictured a guy speaking several dialects of foreignese. Just a thought.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
retyopy said:
retyopy said:
If I was the root of all good, why would I be here? ;)
To spread love, happiness, and the brony way.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
retyopy said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
retyopy said:
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Hate when adults or people in power do things like this. For example i was always curious about the fate of Native Americans when Christopher Columbus sailed onto shore. Took some initiative and found out on my own and my kindergarten teacher kept me inside for lunch because I was telling the truth and "scaring" the other children.
By what means did you find out?
my mom is an English teacher.Snip
Bah, lucky man. My mom did what she could, but...
Least she tried man