This Super Smash Bros. 3DS Glitch Bans Players for 136 Years

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
J Tyran said:
Okay as someone thats never played any Smash Brothers game ever can anyone explain this to me, do you actually get kicked from games or temp banned for going to town on someone to lock them down and keep them out of a match? What happens if they have a strong char for that match and you want to keep them out of it as much as possible, or they could be a weak link and locking them down so their team is -1 for much of the match helping you win.

Whats the point of that? Its like those dedicated multiplayer servers with a ten page "fair play" and "honour" policy of obscure community rules like "you killed that player once so you cannot kill them again until they kill you" and if you come across them you have do nothing and get killed or they whine in chat to get you vote kicked.

Did you ever have that one childhood friend you would always beat at games or someone else would? If so you would probably have heard them say at one point or another "Mom/Dad told me it's fair to let others win sometimes too!" they exclaim while trying to hold back tears. I had a friend like that when i was younger and I was even helping him try to get good at the game so they could earn their victory fair and square, what good is victory if it's just given to you? What is the point of a game if you don't try to win? You can have fun while doing it and they can too, they just need to not care so much about the winning if they end up losing and try to get better instead... if that makes any sense to you.

Nintendo has the mindset of the child in this story.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I thought targeting was a part ofcompetative multiplayer.

The amount of times ive singled out that guy on a shooter who keeps creeping into the same camping spot. Im glad people arent following nintendos lead. Why meddle?.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
GG Nintendo. Not only do you have a situation where people are inclined to quit, because Smash 3D is incredibly laggy, a glitch is dishing out 136 year penalties for doing so.

I think those that say "Don't play online" have the right idea, here.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
J Tyran said:
Okay as someone thats never played any Smash Brothers game ever can anyone explain this to me, do you actually get kicked from games or temp banned for going to town on someone to lock them down and keep them out of a match? What happens if they have a strong char for that match and you want to keep them out of it as much as possible, or they could be a weak link and locking them down so their team is -1 for much of the match helping you win.

Whats the point of that? Its like those dedicated multiplayer servers with a ten page "fair play" and "honour" policy of obscure community rules like "you killed that player once so you cannot kill them again until they kill you" and if you come across them you have do nothing and get killed or they whine in chat to get you vote kicked.
The ban only works in the For Fun mode 3-4 players where one player is constantly attacking the same person over and over again to the point of ignoring the other players in the match. If it's one-on-one, or in For Glory mode, the ban doesn't work. People here are overexaggerating the claim to rediculous levels.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
bjj hero said:
I thought targeting was a part ofcompetative multiplayer.

The amount of times ive singled out that guy on a shooter who keeps creeping into the same camping spot. Im glad people arent following nintendos lead. Why meddle?.
That's a bad analogy. A better one is this: imagaine someone camping against a spawn point. He only focuses and kills the same guy over and over again, ignoring everything else. That is targeting. Keep in mind that this ban seems to be only implemented in 3-4 player For Fun mode.

OT: This is silly. Even if the ban is not as bad as everyone else is making it (seriously, it's not the "Everyone must have fun" thing you're making it out to be), it's still pretty silly to implement it. The glitch just makes it worse. Hopefully a patch is coming soon to take care of overly long ban.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Svarr said:
J Tyran said:

Did you ever have that one childhood friend you would always beat at games or someone else would? If so you would probably have heard them say at one point or another "Mom/Dad told me it's fair to let others win sometimes too!" they exclaim while trying to hold back tears. I had a friend like that when i was younger and I was even helping him try to get good at the game so they could earn their victory fair and square, what good is victory if it's just given to you? What is the point of a game if you don't try to win? You can have fun while doing it and they can too, they just need to not care so much about the winning if they end up losing and try to get better instead... if that makes any sense to you.

Nintendo has the mindset of the child in this story.
The problem is, in a fighting game it is too easy to lock that nooby player out of being able to do anything. I blocks learning more than it enables it. When you are being destroyed by chain combos that prevent you from responding, you have no chance to do anything that would enable you to grow as a player. I am generally one the best at fighting games in my group of friends, and when one player or another is doing shit, I will try to pick weaker characters or play with certain restrictions on myself to let them get a chance to know their character (and hopefully grow enough to beat someone else).

At the same time, I can understand why people would think this an unfair rule when it is universally mandated. I think it should be a match optional feature, and result in a kick at worst.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Wait, you can get banned for targeting one player in particular? WHY? That's been the cause for some of the funniest situations between me and my friends!

We used to have this "68% rule" - anyone who is at 68% or higher must be targeted by everybody else until they die, then you can fight whoever again; "Hey, you're at 68%! Therefore you are a traitor and a scoundrel and must be dealt with accordingly". It was something entirely arbitrary that we made up for fun, and now we can't do it anymore or we'll be banned for 136 years :( Screw you Nintendo.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
xaszatm said:
J Tyran said:

The ban only works in the For Fun mode 3-4 players where one player is constantly attacking the same person over and over again to the point of ignoring the other players in the match. If it's one-on-one, or in For Glory mode, the ban doesn't work. People here are overexaggerating the claim to rediculous levels.
Welcome to the Escapist my friend, where everyone takes things way too seriously and loves to make mountains out of molehills. People around here just can't enjoy games anymore.

OT: Weird glitch, but it should be fixed in time, plus I play For Glory so it doesn't bother or affect me

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
I love this story, shows just how much the press and the reader has a habit of grabbing what they want out of the story. If you read the Nintendo life story they have no idea what actually causes the bans, they say simply

" It appears to be a punishment for targeting another player excessively in online 'For Fun' matches in four player brawls; as that mode is designed for light-hearted, accessible matches, it's no surprise that the game is dishing out bans.

They say "It appears" - while displaying no evidence whatsoever to say how they came to that conclusion :p (also possibly missing out on the targeting same player over multiple games)

I can do that do - "It would appear that this is a punishment for playing the game while dancing and covering your genitals with a Mario hat, its no surprise that the game is dishing out bans".

Where do i get my journalist cheque?

(i expect there is some bug here of some sort, but I'm going to laugh if it turns out that these are perma bans like the MS year 9999 ones and its due to detected hacking or something)

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
This is twofold stupid.

First, for having a buggy ban system in place.
Second, for having something like this be a ban worthy offense to begin with.

In fact, it sounds like this system could be easily abused by targeting a player, putting yourself in their line of fire, and letting them beat you into an unwarranted banning.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
Travis Fischer said:
This is twofold stupid.

First, for having a buggy ban system in place.
Second, for having something like this be a ban worthy offense to begin with.

In fact, it sounds like this system could be easily abused by targeting a player, putting yourself in their line of fire, and letting them beat you into an unwarranted banning.
I can see the trolling already..

Guy: Hit me! >:3

Other Guy: N...no! I don't want to, one more damage point and i get permabanned!

They introduced a new type of troll by accident while trying to help.