This Week in Gaming History

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
This Week in Gaming History

This week in gaming history teaches us that there are two ways to approach videogames: lawsuits and postage.

Read Full Article

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
It's Defender or something like that, isn't it? I know you have fuel and other stuff while you race around bombing critters.

For my 42 cents I'd like to see the Doom guy's face looking irritable and slightly to the left.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
No idea on the game on the stamp (my knowledge of pre-NES games is extremely limited).

If I were designing the stamp, I'd probably use Mario, it being the most influential game in industry history. Alternatively, I might put Pac-Man on there, since it's better known to the non-gamer public.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Yes. It's Defender for the Atari 2600. Hasn't been that long since I played it.

If you really want to capture the "origins" of gaming on a stamp, how about making one a Pong board?

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Yes, I was delighted when I realized it was Defender on the stamp. Sharp eyes, LB! I'm still giving the second question some thought, but I really wanted to get that question out there for discussion.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
Murry from Monkey Island would make a great stamp I think. Then there is the huge amount of game logo's that could easily work on a stamp such as Halo or Gears of War and although I know this forum loves to hate those games they are fairly iconic for this generation of gaming.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
RAK, check out: The Medium of the Video Game by Mark J. P. Wolf; Ralph H. Baer for history on the Magnavox Odyssey and lots of other interesting VG history.