This X-File Must Be Investigated!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I totally heard Mulder and Scully's voices in my head when I read this, and they sounded as flat and dull as I remember them. Then again, I don't remember much about the X-Files and I had no idea what was happening half the time.

Jan 12, 2012
Now I'm imagining a cork board with pictures of the cast and screenshots connected by coloured strings.
"But why air them out of order? What's the angle? Is it related to this 'Con Man'?"

I honestly don't see the point in bringing back the X-Files with a miniseries. Duchovny has Californication and Anderson has Hannibal, so they're not hard-up for work, and there's not really anywhere they can take the plot.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I stopped watching the series shortly after the first movie. I seem to remember the T-1000 being on the show, timetravel and all that sure is weird.

Orange Lazarus

Jun 3, 2009
I don't think this is a very good comic by any means. The art is uninteresting and flat. Every one of these I've seen is just 2 people standing side by side with their poses varying slightly in each panel. I mean, why even draw anything at all if the only interesting thing going on in your comic is the text?

Orange Lazarus

Jun 3, 2009
No, it's not that there's too much text. That's not my main gripe with the comic. I think that can work in certain circumstances. I think the art is boring. Nothing is happening in the pictures. The artist could show more with his drawings and a byproduct could be having to write less text.
A perfect example would be in the strip where the fat guy dresses up as Leifeld Cpt. America. They could show him getting stuffed through the loading dock or something. That's the beauty of comics. You can illustrate your stories and jokes, you're not limited to just describing them with words. Comics are a visual medium and I hate to see the visual aspect neglected.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It's not even that there's too much text and that the art is boring, it's that the writing itself is incredibly unfunny and uninteresting. The only commentary they make is blatantly obvious, but they still feel the need to explain themselves with paragraphs of text.

Oh well, I gave it a shot. Swing and a miss for me.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
This isn't a joke. It's just a conversation between two people. I mean, good lord, even the characters look bored out of their minds!

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Not to continue the ripping-train on the artists, but I feel that this guy also suffers by the "Tim Buckly Method of art." In which everything looks the exact same. Faces, moving mouths, hair, where'd that pencil come from?

To to mention, it's Buckley's. It works, but it also tastes like shit. Or in this scenario, looks like shit. I feel like the writing's got potential though. Don't be discouraged there, big guy.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
BeerTent said:
Not to continue the ripping-train on the artists, but I feel that this guy also suffers by the "Tim Buckly Method of art." In which everything looks the exact same. Faces, moving mouths, hair, where'd that pencil come from?

To to mention, it's Buckley's. It works, but it also tastes like shit. Or in this scenario, looks like shit. I feel like the writing's got potential though. Don't be discouraged there, big guy.
Personally, I think he's just not throwing his "A" game for The Escapist. The stuff on his own page is far more clever (in my opinion). Then again, you may disagree if you don't find the game sessions of (arguably) the world's worst game group entertaining. Still quite wordy, but it makes far more sense when it's four nerds sitting around a table instead of people who COULD conceivably be doing something. Plus, Nodwick was a great series, and PS238 has been quite solid.
Honestly, I'd argue the biggest issue seems to be that all the Escapist is getting are the one-offs. Having lots of words is less of an issue when there's week-to-week continuity.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
ccggenius12 said:
Honestly, I'd argue the biggest issue seems to be that all the Escapist is getting are the one-offs.
I wonder if it might be contractual? Or d'you think we might get their other type of stuff? Do they commonly alternate between one-offs and continuous comics on their main page?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Skeleon said:
ccggenius12 said:
Honestly, I'd argue the biggest issue seems to be that all the Escapist is getting are the one-offs.
I wonder if it might be contractual? Or d'you think we might get their other type of stuff? Do they commonly alternate between one-offs and continuous comics on their main page?
It's been three weeks, I feel like he'd have started a plot thread here by now if that was a thing he'd be doing here. His site IS linked underneath the comic, so you can give his regular writing a look.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I would highly recommend Order of the Stick (current comic) http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0979.html for an ongoing webcomic series.