This years biggest dissapointment?

Neocavo

Feb 19, 2011
deus ex...wasnt as pretty as everyone either says it is or was going to be and the gameplay coulda been so much better..just ended up above average but still a let down

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Reishadowen said:
Probably the fact that MASS EFFECT 3 & DIABLO 3 are STILL NOT OUT YET!!

*rattles back and forth in agitation*

*falls over in chair*

...Ow...
Ninja'd...Couldn't agree more, I was suppose to happily playing ME3 this holiday season. DAMNIT

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I've played both L.A. Noire and Deus Ex: Human Revolution this year, neither of which were perfect (or even great), but they were both sort of risk taking games, and stepped (at least a bit) outside of what you'd expect from their genres. It's the Assassin's Creed syndrome, they're not as great as they could have been, but I can cut them some slack.

No, for me the biggest disappointment was Dragon Age II. It was kind of fun to play, and I'll be the first to admit there were some pretty damn interesting things in there, but coming from a studio who have their formula so nailed down they could produce games in their sleep, it's not even close to as solid as it should have been. It's also disappointing in the bigger picture, in the sense that it's a rushed, shallow product from a studio that normally takes a lot of care with their games. It made me lose just a little bit of faith in a studio that prior to that did very little wrong.

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
Skyrim, that shit generated more hype than a fukken genetically enhanced Peter Molyneux clone injected with adrenaline and methamphetamines while hyping up the video game version of the cold war along with his cohort the holographic ghost of McCarthy. And what we got was Oblivion in the winter, but y'know with like 3 new enemy types, and a recolor of everything else. Oh and in true 'thesda fashion it was buggier than a junkyard couch filled with millipedes. And yet... People still ate that shit up like fat bastard and Augustus Gloop's overgrown lovechild at a Denny's.

Mar 30, 2010
Instant K4rma said:
MW3, personally. I've always enjoyed the CoD series, but if I'm being realistic, I've been enjoying the same game re-released with new guns and maps since CoD4. I really expected something new in MW3 to merit a 60$ purchase, and all I got was some change ups with kill streaks and another survival mode that we've seen in WaW and Black Ops, aside from the fact that the enemies now have firearms.

Returned it after a couple days and picked up BF3. Much happier with my results, aside from funding EA.
Now that's interesting, because I was gonna say Battlefield 3. I've never played a Battlefield title before but was drawn in by the comments from users and teaser trailers and bought Battlefield 3 only to be extremely disappointed. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't a rail-shooter with irrelevant weapons (as in the guns don't really differ from one another, each and every assault rifle is pretty much identical in terms of accuracy, ROF and so on) scattered seemingly every 10 seconds with QTEs and overly long cutscenes. Half of the time it felt like the game was playing itself, and to be honest I very quickly lost patience and interest.

So my vote for most underwhelming game of the year goes to Battlefi ... ... oh no, wait. Duke Nukem Forever. Good God, what a crock of shit.

trillykins

Sep 1, 2010
This'll probably get me tarred and feathered, but my most-disappointing-game-of-the-year award has to go to Skyrim.

For all the hype and promises, it just failed to live up to any of it. That's just my subjective personal opinion, so please don't stab me in my sleep or anything. And disappointing is not to say that the game is bad.

The worst-game-of-the-year award easily goes to Dragon Age II... or Bulletstorm. Hell, they can have one each!

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
LA Noire. It's got an eh beginning, fantastic middle, and then gets downright awful towards the end. I do not appreciate being made to twiddle knobs to calculate longitude, nor randomly poking at address books until Phelps comments on something, nor not having a CLUE what piece of evidence is supposed to prove what.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
I don't know what it is with that game, but I am currently forcing my way through it because it's "a Zelda game". I feel dirty inside.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Dead Island and LA Noir. LA Noir I just borrow from a friend, but I payed my own money on Dead Island and later on sold it a week later for Batman. Better purchase.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
Killzone 3 had greatly improved multiplayer from KZ2 and it was actually fun which is something I can't say for most other multiplayer heavy games out now. But the story was just a waste of time. It doesn't end as much as it just stops.

Dragon Age 2 (yeah, let's beat this dead horse some more). Maybe it was the realization that your carry over save from Origins didn't have that much of an impact on the story. The day one DLC. Or the complete lack of empathy I had with ANY of the characters.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
TheFathomlessMaster said:
I think Brink is one of the most dissapointing games i've ever played. Glad I got to check it out at a friend before buying it.
This.

But also, another game I found extremely disappointing and disrespectful was Call of Juarez: The Cartel. I loved Bound in Blood, and I really wanted The Cartel to actually do good. But no, it didn't. In fact, I would have to say The Cartel is the most disappointing game for me, as well as my most hated. I hate it more than I hate God of War 2 and 3's stories, I hate it more than Fable 2, I just hate it.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I'd too say Brink.

After i saw its debut on the Gamescom three years ago (back before there were even Press Previews or something), i was hyped to no end since the game striked me as innovative, slick and overall kinda awesome.

But over the years it seems the game lost a lot of ambition, and when i played it on the free-play-weekend on Steam, it disappointingly was "nothing that special"

And maybe, possibly RAGE (grr!)

Even though i wasn't that interested in the game thanks to me being fed up with postapocalyptic deserts, i was always kinda certain that the Game would still be pretty good, amazing even. Then i was surprised that, for an id Game, the Reviews lacked praise.

And then i was shocked once i played the actual game in form of the demo two days ago.
While it is marvelous on a technical side and plays decent enough...but....it's just not fun. And that makes it kind of awful.
(P.S. I mostly blame the Level Design and the weapons being kinda disappointing)

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
Jove said:
LA Noire is up there only because that game lacked replayiability unlike past Rockstar games.
^this

LA Noire was quite good (on ps3) but i was shocked how fast i lost interest after played it through. I was kinda wrong to expect it would hold as long as GTA4 did.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
I would have to say my biggest disappointment was Homefront. This game had my hopes up for playing a 1st person shooter with a really good and somewhat realistic story. The lead up advertisements and promo vids just made me more excited for the game. When it came out, however, the campaign was so short, I finished it in 1 day, and the multiplayer was basically the same as any other FPS. Nothing new was brought to the table. The whole idea of Korea (or any other nation) invading the US was moving and inspired a sense of "This COULD happen. Let's see how we do." But it felt flat and uninspired when I played it. :(

Now, I could have put down Duke Nukem Forever, but hey, I'd waited 14 years for that game. I knew it was a patchwork product and the jokes would be stale, but that's the Duke. It was still a hell of a good time for me, who remembered playing the earlier games.

So yeah, Homefront. I was looking for a new twist in the FPS genre and got a game that was, well ... lame.

godevit

Nov 21, 2008
Safe in the Dark said:
Skyrim, that shit generated more hype than a fukken genetically enhanced Peter Molyneux clone injected with adrenaline and methamphetamines while hyping up the video game version of the cold war along with his cohort the holographic ghost of McCarthy. And what we got was Oblivion in the winter, but y'know with like 3 new enemy types, and a recolor of everything else. Oh and in true 'thesda fashion it was buggier than a junkyard couch filled with millipedes. And yet... People still ate that shit up like fat bastard and Augustus Gloop's overgrown lovechild at a Denny's.
I agree.
the engine this game has is just bad for melee and magic combat..... it feels sloppy and really you cant enjoy it.

and yes i know they use it in fallout games but guns seem to fit a little bit better.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Looked at the title of this thread and thought "Me... to my parents"

But this years most disappointing title... Arkham City for me. Gemplay was flowing like you'd expect, but like Yahtzee said in his Extra Punctuation the villains just seemed to get lost in the sandbox. I was really looking forward to seeing how they'd handle that many characters, and i was disappointed. Not enough focus on either one, really. Even the whole Joker thing seemed pretty lost to me at times because of all the side tracking and mixing that went on as i played through it.