Thor Is Getting Gender-Flipped. Officially.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Rellik San said:
And not a dick for having an opinion, everyone has an opinion but a dick for being a whiny man-child pissing and moaning about funny books doing something different not because it's unusual or you have issue with the story or writing...
Except that people *DO* have problems with the story and writing, but asshole creators and their defenders ignore it and strawman it into being racist/sexist/homophobic/ablist/triggering/whatever-the-hell-you-call-people-who-don't-take-otherkin-seriously.

You know what other creative medium makes announcements like this? None of them. TV show runners don't announce their big plot twists ahead of time. Movie directors don't spoil their endings on fansites. Harry Potter's publisher didn't hang a giant "Snape kills Dumbledore!" sign on bookstores the day of the book's release. Comics, on the other hand, are so mired in this insipid pit of stunt writing that it's more important to them to push big announcements of stupid, poorly thought out events in their books than it is to let the story have any actual artistic merit. And now they've found out that they can get the most attention by doing stuff like this and then calling people bigots when they point out how transparently desperate for attention it is.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why people don't take comics seriously as a medium for adults.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Before people go nuts, I would like to remind everyone that the last time Marvel changed something significant about a character (making Miles Morales the new Spider-Man) it turned out to be one of the best things in comics.

I'm actually interested to see where this goes. Hopefully new Thor turns out to be good at her job.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Well, thankfully, I was never really interested in Thor anyways.

I mean, I like the actual old legends, but the Marvel stuff has always seemed a bit off to me- probably on purpose, mind you, so they could create their own stories, and I get that. But if someone did like Thor before this, I can see how they might not like it/appreciate it after. After all, it's now a different person.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Delock said:
On the other hand, none of this matters because Marvel already made their greatest series ever with the Superior Foes of Spider-man and the fact that this is not an announcement of that being available in hardcover is practically criminal (mostly joking here, but seriously, those book need something more permanent than softcover).
A bit late, but I agree 110%. Superior Foes is the best thing to come out of Marvel since Nextwave and it's an absolute crime that it hasn't gotten better recognition.

dharmaBum0

Mar 17, 2012
Is it Kelda?

Lost track of her during/after Siege, and vaguely remember some misfortune concerning her.

But if it is her, hopefully we get to see the return of Bill, son of Bills. I liked Bill.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I really don't quite get how exactly this is going to work along with storyline and lore, but I also don't follow Thor at all so maybe it's something that could be easily explained. I will say, however, that she looks totally badass.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
vid87 said:
MarsAtlas said:
Kind of weird that she would still be named Thor, though there are positions in cultures where people do abandon their name for a title when entering a position. Perhaps Thor in this instance is not considered as the name of the individual person but the person filling the role, and the soon-to-be-former Thor will get a new name.
I'm wondering what it could be considering they're now suggesting for the first time that Thor isn't actually his name. In any case, I'm really hoping he doesn't go on heroing with his lame human alias:

"Introducing the mighty invincible Donald Blake!"

Yeesh. Luke Cage at least sounds kind've cool.

No Thor will still exist as Thor it's just this woman will also be using the name Thor and be the star of the Thor monthly.

If your wondering why, Marvel can't just sit back and watch DC f**k up they have to join in too.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
BrotherRool said:
Considering the runaway success that Ms. Marvel has been so far... if this move gets a lot of support and we all go out and buy Thor comics, there'll be a real chance that we might be on the verge of triggering a major industry shift. I hope this comic is good because it would be so cool. If that is a picture of her, she seems to look fantastic at least.

..heck this might even 'save' DC. If Marvel goes through this huge industry warping shift where it realises that there was a huge chunk of the population they weren't selling comics too and now can, both with the Marvel Movieverse and the comics. Maybe DC will get over all this '30 year old men like dark and gritty' stuff that they've been going through recently.

And then maybe they'll uncancel Young Justice because it's no longer a problem that it attracts a female audience. Hey, I can dream.

DC didn't cancel Young Justice, Cartoon Network cancelled it because the toys didn't sell and neither Mattel or Hasbro were interested in paying for the rights to make toys when a third year was offered.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
I think the regular Thor will turn now into King Thor and switch Mjolnir for the battle axe Jarnbjorn... I'm ok with the news of a female Thor the only thing I would change is her hair color (not blonde because same name same color as male Thor? and not red because Angela)

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
scotth266 said:
Before people go nuts, I would like to remind everyone that the last time Marvel changed something significant about a character (making Miles Morales the new Spider-Man) it turned out to be one of the best things in comics.

I'm actually interested to see where this goes. Hopefully new Thor turns out to be good at her job.
That only happened in the ultimate universe not the mainstream universe that people actually care about.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
youji itami said:
BrotherRool said:
Considering the runaway success that Ms. Marvel has been so far... if this move gets a lot of support and we all go out and buy Thor comics, there'll be a real chance that we might be on the verge of triggering a major industry shift. I hope this comic is good because it would be so cool. If that is a picture of her, she seems to look fantastic at least.

..heck this might even 'save' DC. If Marvel goes through this huge industry warping shift where it realises that there was a huge chunk of the population they weren't selling comics too and now can, both with the Marvel Movieverse and the comics. Maybe DC will get over all this '30 year old men like dark and gritty' stuff that they've been going through recently.

And then maybe they'll uncancel Young Justice because it's no longer a problem that it attracts a female audience. Hey, I can dream.

DC didn't cancel Young Justice, Cartoon Network cancelled it because the toys didn't sell and neither Mattel or Hasbro were interested in paying for the rights to make toys when a third year was offered.
One of the issues with the toys was that cartoon was attracting a broad demographic and they didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling toys to non-boys. Apparently when they make cartoons they want the cartoons to be for just boys or just girls to make the toy marketing simpler, but whilst Young Justice was attracting a good audience, it was also a broad audience and that put off the toy manufacturers.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Frickin' Awesome...I'm all for this! I love the concept art for her (or those two pics that I'm guessing are concept art). Does make me wonder what some other "gender-flipped" (as this isn't a true gender-flipping) heroes/villains might look like. Imagine, for instance, what a female Juggernaut would look like. :3

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Great secrets were revealed to me the day I held aloft my hammer and said: "For the honour of Asgard!"

She-Thor! She-Thor!

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
BrotherRool said:

Is that true It is successful? as in boucoup's of money wed be stupid to cancel this successful? because People can blog and write articles about how great a lady rep is that ms marvel is a great whatever but if thats all people do is go."awe bout time" and then dont buy it well....

But yeah Money successful or just popular?

On topic: ive been out of reading my old staples of thor , cap and the invaders because right now they have all been bland to me. Im definitely digging the look though.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm fine with it. I think this is just a stunt. In another story line down the road they will make Thor "worthy" again. Also... Thor is his name. The Odinson or the Lord of Living Lightning... those are titles. It doesn't make sense to call her Thor. Loki is Loki's name. In a storyline, they literally flipped the characters sex, so the name stuck. Thor still exists in the Marvel Universe. Other's have pointed out that other people have been worthy of Thor's power. My favorite being Beta Ray Bill.

Lunncal said:
Lightknight said:
This may not be "Thorita" but this is a male superhero that they have slapped breasts on. Again, they really need to promote their legitimate female heroes more rather than aping long-established characters.
I've never understood this line of thinking at all. Women are just men with some breasts slapped on (OK, and some other parts changed/removed too), and vice versa for men. Yes, there are tendencies and attitudes that are more common to men or women, but that only matters when you're taking averages or doing statistics, individually the distinction is basically meaningless. A woman "acting like a man" is nothing unusual or bad, and neither is men "acting like women", I thought we'd moved on from that kind of crap?

Why does a female hero have to act in a "legitimate" female way? Do you examine each male hero to ensure they're living up to their legitimate manliness, too? Isn't all this incredibly sexist?

Like I said, I just don't get it at all.
Well, in defense of what is happening, they didn't just slap breasts on the character. That wouldn't be a gender swap, it would be a sex swap. Gender is a lot more than just sex, though sex is a big part of it. There is a whole social and political aspect to "gender" that is beyond sex.

I don't think that a female gender character has to necessarily have female stereotypes, but being a female significantly changes a persons worldview. Our Worldviews inform every aspect of ourselves, so to say that there is no difference besides a few sex specific traits isn't entirely accurate. That said, this day in age, I feel that most people would be somewhat familiar with the idea that a woman can act "manly" but still be a woman and guy can act "effeminate" and not be less of a man.

EDIT: One major thing this has the potential to mess up is Marvel's pretty decent continuity. DC messes up their continuity so bad, that they have rebooted it a bunch of times. Marvel has established storylines in "the future" where Thor is a man. Moves like this run the risk of destroying the continuity of the universe, which is a stupid mistake to make.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Elfgore said:
Thor is a bloody name not a title.
It's Marvel's fictional version of a mythological being, they can do what they want.

They could make the worth of Thor be determined by how many stacks of paperwork she fills out in the Asgardian Affairs Bureau.

But as Thor doesn't particularly cleave close to the mythology of old, I have to ask: who the hell cares?

Also, I reckon if you have the power of a God, you can call yourself what you damn well please.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Hmmm, this looks like an interesting read considering the design overall looks awesome.

Anyone make a stab at Ubisoft yet?... ok, i'll shoot:
I just hope it didn't take the artist double the work to make the character. Making teh grils iz tuu herd after all!
/bad joke.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Right, and I guess they will recast Thor for the new avengers movie because they want to push the "Thor is a girl now" agenda?

Nobody believes those comic books publicity stunts. Like we believed Superman getting married, Captain America getting killed or Batman dying were going to be lasting, world changing events. They couldn't even keep Barbara Gordon on a wheelchair, and everybody believed it was a positive growth arc for the character. At most, she will be "Thor" for a few issues, before the popularity of the movies make the "classic" Thor come back and, if we are lucky, she will still be around the Marvel universe as a new character with a new identity.

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
Seriously? I mean....Wow, this is Thor, it's his name, not a title, the title is God of Thunder...So yeah, this is kind of insane. If Marvel wanted to have a Female in the "Avenger's Trinity", they should have just promoted Captain Marvel more, she is awesome an is a female to start with.

Or, if they need to make this change...Why not turn Ironman or Captain America into females? Ironman is an armor, sure, Tony is the guy who makes it work, but it is easier to replace him than a god. And Captain America is the same thing, it's a title, they could actually introduce a female character that can take the place, since the Super Soldier Serum isn't working anymore, it would be nice...And Falcon would continue to be Falcon, as i prefer.