Thor - Ragnarok - A Hela Good Time (Insert Groan Here)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Thor - Ragnarok - A Hela Good Time (Insert Groan Here)

Hey, we finally have a great Thor movie.

Read Full Article

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
When i went to see this last week the only objection i could raise to this movie was the choice in licensed music.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Probably my least favourite Thor film - I liked Dark World, sue me.
They've completed the Guardians of the Galaxy irony creep, they undercut every dramatic moment with humour. Makes you wonder why you have dramatic stakes at all. Some people may be upset to see Asgard gone.

That said, Thor is a much deeper character in this one, I suspect someone told Tom Hiddleston to not upstage Hemsworth this time.

Liked the dimension of "eternal falling"

They spoilt much of the second act with the Hulk reveal in the trailer.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
wizzy555 said:

They've completed the Guardians of the Galaxy irony creep, they undercut every dramatic moment with humour. Makes you wonder why you have dramatic stakes at all. Some people may be upset to see Asgard gone.

That said, Thor is a much deeper character in this one, I suspect someone told Tom Hiddleston to not upstage Hemsworth this time.

Liked the dimension of "eternal falling"

They spoilt much of the second act with the Hulk reveal in the trailer.
Watch the spoilers.

I really enjoyed this. I like the progression with hulk and thor, both really well done. I loved Hela. She takes over the screen and is my new crush.

Might be my favourite marvel film since GOTG or Antman.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
wizzy555 said:
They've completed the Guardians of the Galaxy irony creep, they undercut every dramatic moment with humour. Makes you wonder why you have dramatic stakes at all.
I'm of two minds about this. One the one hand, the abundance of humor is well done and makes the movie really fun, and since I loved both Guardians of the Galaxy movies that style of rapid fire humor works for me. On the other hand, it really felt like the people working on it really wanted to make a Guardians of the Galaxy movie instead because the whole thing just smells like a GOTG with Thor characters replacing the actual GOTG. Not to say Thor has never be comedic, Tom Hiddleston's Loki in particular is hilarious in almost every scene he's in, and there are a few quips and jokes here and there when Thor's cast is around, but really aside from Loki it really just doesn't fit Thor characters to constantly fire off jokes and be the receivers and deliverers of physical comedy, the Thor cast in general is much too serious for that to really work for them. I'd say they managed to pull it off for this movie but it's going to be very difficult to keep it up without it looking stupid.

Oh, and Wizzy I'll echo the whole "they really shouldn't have shown Hulk in the trailers" thing, what is with movies giving away the best plot points and moments in the movie during the trailers all the time and killing the impact? I get that they usually use some of the better moments in the movie as hooks in trailers but especially with movies that are generally good there's plenty of non-spoilery moments in the movie they could have used instead. This is the reason I typically avoid watching trailers for anything I actually think I might want to watch.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Oh, and Wizzy I'll echo the whole "they really shouldn't have shown Hulk in the trailers" thing, what is with movies giving away the best plot points and moments in the movie during the trailers all the time and killing the impact?
I saw the movie last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the two previous Thor movies. Seeing that they were pulling a bastardized Planet Hulk storyline in the trailers, was indeed the hook to get me into this one.

Thor's opening conversation with Surtur "I'm not even doing this." and the dragon hammer drop had me reeled in within the first 10 minutes. This movie was incredible fun.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
As some people already mention on the web, Ragnarnok was the best among the Thor triliogy in my opinion. It's mainly due to the sci-fi elements to it which is ironic since isn't Thor suppose to be mythologal among the superheroes?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
As some people already mention on the web, Ragnarnok was the best among the Thor triliogy in my opinion. It's mainly due to the sci-fi elements to it which is ironic since isn't Thor suppose to be mythologal among the superheroes?
The movies are a mix of regular and Ultimate Marvel and in Ultimate, Thor (and all of Asgard) are high-tech sci-fantasy aliens instead of straight up Norse deities.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
wizzy555 said:
They've completed the Guardians of the Galaxy irony creep, they undercut every dramatic moment with humour. Makes you wonder why you have dramatic stakes at all.
I'm of two minds about this. One the one hand, the abundance of humor is well done and makes the movie really fun, and since I loved both Guardians of the Galaxy movies that style of rapid fire humor works for me. On the other hand, it really felt like the people working on it really wanted to make a Guardians of the Galaxy movie instead because the whole thing just smells like a GOTG with Thor characters replacing the actual GOTG. Not to say Thor has never be comedic, Tom Hiddleston's Loki in particular is hilarious in almost every scene he's in, and there are a few quips and jokes here and there when Thor's cast is around, but really aside from Loki it really just doesn't fit Thor characters to constantly fire off jokes and be the receivers and deliverers of physical comedy, the Thor cast in general is much too serious for that to really work for them. I'd say they managed to pull it off for this movie but it's going to be very difficult to keep it up without it looking stupid.
Yeah... I enjoyed the movie, but it left me a bit unsatisfied, and I think the unwillingness to let more than about a minute go by without a joke was part of that. In a way, it reminded me a bit of something with the main musical theme of "The Lord of the Rings" and how the "Rohan" theme became the more emotionally stirring musical piece for me because they never undercut it with a cheap joke. Whereas the triumphant "Main Theme" got saddled with "Right. Where are we goin'?" (Augh... Shut up, Pippin!), "Rohan" always said "These people are proud, noble, and doomed, but they're going to keep fighting to the end."

It probably didn't help that
they killed off three of Thor's companions, neglected Lady Sif altogether, and broke up with Jane Foster offscreen. I know there are people who hated Natalie Portman and/or her performance, but we were told more than once in the last two movies how important this relationship was, how big this conflict between mortal love and immortal responsibilities weighed on Thor, and then, just... pff. Maybe the movie wanted to distance itself from its predecessors a little too hard?

Not a bad movie at all. It has a lot of nice visuals, Hela is awesome, many of the jokes land, Tom Hiddleston is always fun, and Cumberbatch's segment made me very happy to see the character again. It just needed to take half a breath to stop winking at and elbowing the audience.

emilybreckejn

Feb 27, 2017
Thanks Matthew for your thoughts, seems to me that I am gonna spend my hard earned money on this movie. Loved your review!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Meh, saw it last night and it was...okay. The best of the Thor movies, sure, but its way too goofy and too schizophrenic in tone.
One second a innocent young woman is about to be killed, the next scene has a Hulk dick joke in it, next scene is drunk Valkyrie lady being all sad about war, followed by touching Hulk/Black Widow angst, and oop look at the time! Lets do an anus joke! (No really, they do an anus joke)

Plot wise its all over the place, with secret siblings and apparently universal amnesia, and Dr. Strange is a troll, and Jeff Goldblum being Jeff Goldblum...

Also the Valkyrie woman was totally pointless. She served no purpose! She captures Thor, then frees him...and that's it! She never does anything else important! Doesn't even get revenge. Just gets her ass handed to her and then fucks off.
The entire Junkeon planet bit was just an excuse to give Thor a haircut and to shoehorn in the Hulk, who likewise doesn't do anything. Well i tell a lie, he wrestles a dog. That's his big moment. Big bad lady has a pointless dog, who needs to be countered with the equally pointless Hulk.

and the whole thing is just another 'You need to realize your true power Thor!' plot. Turns out the magic was inside him all along!

Also the Hammer. Lady Hot Topic, aside from not being able to decide on a personality or accent, easily breaks it. Yet the whole 'Who shall ever be worthy blah blah blah' part of the Hammer was added millenia after she was imprisoned. So, presumably, Odin no longer believed she's worthy of the Hammer when he cast her out. So how can she be strong enough to stop it, when the very premise of the Hammer deems she can't be?

Also way to kill off those three dudes! They were always the best part of Thor movies!

Dec 10, 2012
I really liked it, it was a ton of fun. Something about it felt lacking however. I'm not sure if it was the tendency to undercut the drama with a joke or bit of slapstick. It might have been the plot itself. Good guys have to stop bad guy (gal), spend 70% of the movie doing sidequests, then stop bad guy (gal). Details aside, it felt a bit like 2 separate movies going on, with the heroes and villains not interacting at all between the beginning and end.

Despite the long term consequences set forth in the conclusion, it felt unnecessary overall. Fun, but kinda pointless.

Silentpony said:
Meh, saw it last night and it was...okay. The best of the Thor movies, sure, but its way too goofy and too schizophrenic in tone.
One second a innocent young woman is about to be killed, the next scene has a Hulk dick joke in it, next scene is drunk Valkyrie lady being all sad about war, followed by touching Hulk/Black Widow angst, and oop look at the time! Lets do an anus joke! (No really, they do an anus joke)

Plot wise its all over the place, with secret siblings and apparently universal amnesia, and Dr. Strange is a troll, and Jeff Goldblum being Jeff Goldblum...

Also the Valkyrie woman was totally pointless. She served no purpose! She captures Thor, then frees him...and that's it! She never does anything else important! Doesn't even get revenge. Just gets her ass handed to her and then fucks off.
The entire Junkeon planet bit was just an excuse to give Thor a haircut and to shoehorn in the Hulk, who likewise doesn't do anything. Well i tell a lie, he wrestles a dog. That's his big moment. Big bad lady has a pointless dog, who needs to be countered with the equally pointless Hulk.

and the whole thing is just another 'You need to realize your true power Thor!' plot. Turns out the magic was inside him all along!

Also the Hammer. Lady Hot Topic, aside from not being able to decide on a personality or accent, easily breaks it. Yet the whole 'Who shall ever be worthy blah blah blah' part of the Hammer was added millenia after she was imprisoned. So, presumably, Odin no longer believed she's worthy of the Hammer when he cast her out. So how can she be strong enough to stop it, when the very premise of the Hammer deems she can't be?

Also way to kill off those three dudes! They were always the best part of Thor movies!
As to how Hela could hold Mjolnir when she wouldn't qualify as "worthy" (whatever that really means): the enchantment on the hammer would only be as strong as the one who cast it. Since Odin himself said she was stronger than all of them, her sheer power would be able to overcome Odin's magic. It didn't matter whether she was worthy or not. Theoretically, anyone more powerful than Odin should be able to lift the hammer regardless of moral alignment. In fact, I always figured that Thanos was going to be the one to take or destroy Mjolnir, by virtue of being the strongest guy in the universe and having more inherent power than any of the Asgardian gods.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
TheVampwizimp said:
I really liked it, it was a ton of fun. Something about it felt lacking however. I'm not sure if it was the tendency to undercut the drama with a joke or bit of slapstick. It might have been the plot itself. Good guys have to stop bad guy (gal), spend 70% of the movie doing sidequests, then stop bad guy (gal). Details aside, it felt a bit like 2 separate movies going on, with the heroes and villains not interacting at all between the beginning and end.

Despite the long term consequences set forth in the conclusion, it felt unnecessary overall. Fun, but kinda pointless.

Silentpony said:

As to how Hela could hold Mjolnir when she wouldn't qualify as "worthy" (whatever that really means): the enchantment on the hammer would only be as strong as the one who cast it. Since Odin himself said she was stronger than all of them, her sheer power would be able to overcome Odin's magic. It didn't matter whether she was worthy or not. Theoretically, anyone more powerful than Odin should be able to lift the hammer regardless of moral alignment. In fact, I always figured that Thanos was going to be the one to take or destroy Mjolnir, by virtue of being the strongest guy in the universe and having more inherent power than any of the Asgardian gods.
Wait, I thought Odin was stronger than her, that's how he beat her, imprisoned her, and only his death led to her release? And if not more 'powerful' in a DBZ way, he had seniority of coolness, meaning he wins? Like how does he beat her, imprison her for hundreds of thousands of year, and have the power to hold her back until the literal second of his death, yet the strongest weapon he ever crafted, one only the rightful ruler of Asgard can wield, be less powerful than her?

Dec 10, 2012
Silentpony said:
TheVampwizimp said:

Silentpony said:

Wait, I thought Odin was stronger than her, that's how he beat her, imprisoned her, and only his death led to her release? And if not more 'powerful' in a DBZ way, he had seniority of coolness, meaning he wins? Like how does he beat her, imprison her for hundreds of thousands of year, and have the power to hold her back until the literal second of his death, yet the strongest weapon he ever crafted, one only the rightful ruler of Asgard can wield, be less powerful than her?
Hmm, that's a good question. I don't remember there being any kind of explanation of how Odin imprisoned her. Or where. Or why she came back the instant he died. Or why he died. Just old age? Or why no one in Asgard had ever heard of Hela. I thought Asgardians lived for millennia, so why did no one remember her?

You're right, nothing about this makes sense.

FatesVagrant

Aug 13, 2017
I actually didn't like this one overall. It seemed it was trying way too hard to be funny at the expense of everything else including characterization and as a result a lot of the jokes felt forced. It WAS funny at parts but it was just too much.