Those games that only you seemed to like.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Hawki said:
But what about pre-Reaper of Souls?
At which point? There is not really a single unified "pre-Reaper of Souls" experience - base Diablo 3 has seen a lot of changes with patches and it did work differently at different stages. Heck, it wasn't even RoS that changed into its current state - its current state has been so since before the expansion. It's just that the expansion marks a point in time where we can talk about a more definite Diablo 3 form, hence it tends to be used to mean "the current iteration" of the game's systems and mechanics. The expansion also (almost) coincides with the removal of the auction house, although, that's intentional on Blizz's part. There was also the completely overhauled loot system which too was launched around that time. At any rate, both of these were introduced in the base D3 game.

Hawki said:
selection of classes, and even they were different (e.g. actual characters rather than blank slates)
The...characters in the Diablo series have never really been blank slates. What?

Hawki said:
I liked the story, I didn't notice (or care, to be honest) about any loot drop rates that so many cried foul of. To be honest, gear is a means to an end for me in these games, not an end in itself. If it gets the job done, I don't care how shiny it is. And yes, I liked the story. And even if I agreed with the notion of it being bad, I have to ask, "why?"
And this was the big difference with the previous games - they were all about the loot. Not that D3 dialled down - it most certainly didn't, however, it dialled up on the story. Which, while not really bad by itself, it got negative reaction because it attempted to be in your face and take centre stage - contrary to previous games.

Hawki said:
D1 basically had no story,* D2 had a lackluster story
They both had a story that is told a lot through the environments, mechanics, enemies, as well as lots of other optional activities the player can take.

Hawki said:
Torchlight manages to get by with basically no story at all
On the contrary, there are heaps of lore and story crammed into Torchlight. The main story itself follows closely the story in Diablo - the first games of each series mimic each other as do the second games. Well, given that Torchlight was created by ex-Diablo developers, it must have been their little homage to their previous games. At any rate, the Torchlight games take after Diablo in more ways than the main quests - the story is again told through numerous in-game sources that are completely optional and up to the player to explore. This is the Diablo way of telling a story - subtly, yet expansively.

Hawki said:
and I gave up on Path of Exile by act 2, but wasn't impressed either.
Based on what? Did you even attempt to look for the story? Path of Exile is another game hailed as a successor of Diablo 2 and with good reason - the aesthetics and playstyle are clearly reminiscent of D2, as is the community aspect of the game. However, that's not all - PoE also follows the Diablo way of telling a story. Sure, you meet few NPCs here and there that tell you some lines and you usually have to kill them afterwards and you could say that's what the story is. But you'd be wrong. The story is all around - from the very first time you step into Wraeclast the story has been present. Similar to Diablo and Torchlight, it conveys its story by a multitude of ways, all of them reliant on player. One of the most amazing thing is how the very gameplay is literally part of the story. The incorporation of the mechanics with the main story of the game is a masterful example that such a feat can be done.

Hawki said:
And yet, D3 was the one that got the flak.
Mostly because it ditched the entire legacy of well crafted and subtle story telling. And yeah, the story kind of sucked, too. OK, some of the cutscenes were sweet but the fact that it relied on them wasn't.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

This was the most fun I've had with a Sonic game. Yeah, the bosses were kinda cheap and there were a lot of parts that were made frustrating because of the broken coding but that kinda had a weird effect on me; rather than me throwing my controller and saying, 'screw this' I had more of a, 'This will not beat me!' mentality...but in a good way. I wanted to see more glitches, I wanted to see more oddities, I wanted to see the full extent of this magnificent train wreck. I played this game to story completion which is a lot more than I can say for the Genesis Sonic games and even the beloved Generations.

Sonic: Lost Worlds (Wii U)

First thing's first: The snow levels and wall-running were bullcrap. Also, the bosses were kind of a wash but aside from that, I had fun with Lost Worlds. I got this game post-patch so I didn't have any issues when it came to dying and game overs so that might have helped with my personal experience with the game. I think part of why I liked Sonic: Lost Worlds is that even when it comes to his best (ie; most popular) games, I never really cared for Sonic. Lost Worlds plays almost like a Super Mario game. For crying out loud, there's a run button! I'd be curious to see how Mario would handle in a Sonic Style game too but I don't see that happening...

XIII

I never really got into Perfect Dark...in fact I didn't play this game until about 2 or 3 years ago and it just charmed the Hell out of me! I enjoy cell-shading in general and the whole comic aesthetic seemed really unique at the time and even now I'm not sure of any other FPS games that try to emulate a comic-book feel. Aside from that, I like how this is one of those FPS games wherein you can hold an entire arsenal in addition to some pretty cool gadgets.

Exclusive Xbox Games (such as)
Otogi: Myth of Demons/Otogi 2
Destroy EVERYTHING!

Whacked!
Quirky multiplayer game.

Crimson Skies: High Road of Revenge
What happened to this series? It feels like a Dark Void prequel, stars Atton Rand and is a ton of fun.

Voodoo Vince
Fun collectathon that had humor I enjoyed. Open to a sequel

Amped/Amped 2
What happened to this snow boarding franchise?

Breakdown
Fist person beat-em-up with super powers.

Mechassault
The Mech Game that didn't cost $200 but it did let you destroy...well...Everything.

Project Gotham Racing
What happened to this franchise? Tokyo-Drift your way to victory!

Solider of Fortune 2: Double Helix
Gibs. Ultra-Violence and Gibs. Bring back Gibs.

sgy0003 said:
Mass Effect 3
80% of the hate comments I see are from the ending of the game, which should not overshadow the rest of the game. The game looks great, Liara looks sexier, the gameplay is solid, and you meet so many interesting people and learn interesting lores that could rival those of star wars and trek (which is arguable). I won't deny the fact that the ending was crap, but everything else about the game is great.
You know what, I also really liked ME3. I didn't like the new human characters (especially that woman who doesn't know what sleeves are) but I've never liked the human characters in that series. As for the end-game, nobody liked that but I still cling to the (apparently non-canon) Indoctrination Theory. That plus the red ending is just the most satisfying for me. ME3 isn't my favorite but it does have my favorite set-piece: Thrasher Maw vs Reaper.

Arnoxthe1 said:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
All I've ever really played of The Elder Scrolls (3, 4 and, 5) was vanilla. Even though I like Oblivion a bit more when it comes to exploration, I find that whenever I start a new character in Skyrim (well...another character as they are all Argonians who master stealth ASAP) that almost instantly becomes a guaranteed 20+ hour time-sink for me. Same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas; as soon as I start I kinda just...can't get out of those worlds again until something new comes around or I get bitten by the Final Fantasy bug.

Hawki said:
Star Fox Adventures
I never played that one but people tend to put it into the same mental file as Assault, the one Star Fox game between 64 and...643D that I HAVE played. When it comes to Assault, I really liked a huge chunk of it. It had me captivated to the point that I made it through the entire single-player campaign in a single weekend. I realize I should go through it again since it seems to be like 64 in that there are multiple paths but I don't really want to...I didn't like the ride-on-the-ship segments. Still, I like Assault and I would like to give Adventures a try.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The Mark of Kri

I've yet to meet another person in real life that has played it, or even heard of it. Only person that comes close is my old roommate, and that's 'cause he watched me play it.

I've seen a few people pop up on this forum when this thread gets reborn every few months that say they liked it. But beyond that, it went under just about everyone's radar.

Shame too, as it was a fucking awesome game for the PS 2.

Homeworld: Cataclysm
Many people have played it, but fewer like it compared to HW 1 and 2. I personally loved it, and consider it the best of all 3 titles.

OpiateChicken

Jul 2, 2009
Hawki said:
Golden Sun: The Broken Seal. RPGs I actually like, but don't feel the need to defend for whatever reason (e.g. TTA being a poor man's FFX, or TBS not living up to its predecessors).
Not sure about The Broken Seal, but I came here to say...

GOLDEN SUN 1 & 2 (The Lost Age)

My gaming tastes seem pretty typical except for these. Golden Sun seems to be a game only people I talk to online have loved or even heard of. The first and second games were some of my absolute favourites growing up and I spent countless hours playing a loving the shit out of them.

Also, I'm not sure I really liked it, but Sonic Spinball gave me the biggest emotional reaction as a kid. I hated seeing Sonic, a character I loved at that time, die such drawn out deaths with great sound effects.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
sgy0003 said:
We all have one or two of these games. The games that are known by many to be horrible if not just okay, but you and those in the minorities seemed to like it. What are those games.

For me;

Dragon Age 2
Now, I agree they severely cut down the character customization by allowing human race only, and the story was pretty weak, but I see its own Pros here and there. The prosecution of mages as dangerous threats relates to racism happening within our world. The fights now longer feel slow, and is more fast paced. The UI is more cleaner than DA:O. The class system allows players to be more free in creating unique ones.

Fallout 4
Seriously, people! Calm down on metacritic. Yes, the game may not live up to FO3 and NV, but come on, that doesn't mean the game deserves less that 5/10. Yes, the dialogue is very limited but there's no more zooming into npcs and companions face. Yes, the graphics may look not as good as other AAA games, but it is best looking Fallout game to date. Yes, they got rid of the traditional skills set system but they replaced those with complete perk chart which grants similar abilities as would could with skills set in FO3 and NV. And yes, the story is kinda weak, but deciding HIS fate (won't spoil it here) made the faction and ending choice that much harder. FO4 also introduces fully fleshed out weapons and armor customization. Grant it, this was introduced in NV, but they made it so much better.

Batman AK
Okay, so the game got a lot of backlashes from constant crashing, but when the game works, it's a fun game. I will admit bat mobile/tank was bit over done, but you can't deny the fact that you enjoyed the short time you had fun with it (admit it, you enjoyed Riddler race tracks). We all saw the disappointing reveal of Arkham Knight's identity, but players can also understand where does his hate for batman came from. Just like FO4, this was the best looking batman game. gliding around the city at rainy night, rain drops reflecting off the neon-lit signs, etc. Batman still looks badass when he's beating up the thugs, and there's more enemy variants so you can't use same tactics over and over again. And then of course, hallucination of a old friend.

Mass Effect 3
80% of the hate comments I see are from the ending of the game, which should not overshadow the rest of the game. The game looks great, Liara looks sexier, the gameplay is solid, and you meet so many interesting people and learn interesting lores that could rival those of star wars and trek (which is arguable). I won't deny the fact that the ending was crap, but everything else about the game is great.
you good sir need to out this group http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Dragon-Age-2-was-a-good-game

OT: Too Human, by far and away not a good game but an intensely fun game.
tales of zestiria, as far as im concerned this is the second best tales game ever just behind tales of symphonia.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
OpiateChicken said:
Hawki said:
Golden Sun: The Broken Seal. RPGs I actually like, but don't feel the need to defend for whatever reason (e.g. TTA being a poor man's FFX, or TBS not living up to its predecessors).
Not sure about The Broken Seal, but I came here to say...

GOLDEN SUN 1 & 2 (The Lost Age)

My gaming tastes seem pretty typical except for these. Golden Sun seems to be a game only people I talk to online have loved or even heard of. The first and second games were some of my absolute favourites growing up and I spent countless hours playing a loving the shit out of them.

Also, I'm not sure I really liked it, but Sonic Spinball gave me the biggest emotional reaction as a kid. I hated seeing Sonic, a character I loved at that time, die such drawn out deaths with great sound effects.
Derp, meant to say "Golden Sun: Dark Dawn" (I've since corrected it). And yes, I absolutely loved GS1 and 2 ("The Broken Seal" is the subtitle for 1, but it wasn't used in the West as far as I know). But I know what you mean. Golden Sun seems to be pretty niche, but very beloved within that niche.

As for Sonic Spinball, I liked it. Not as much as the 2D platformers of that era, but one I had fun with, and one that was very satisfying to beat when I finally DID beat it, over 10 years after I first got it. It uses an interesting aesthetic too, as it seems to harken more to SatAM Sonic than the Segaverse - SatAM characters, the way Sonic moves, etc.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
What I liked about DA 2 was the idea that Hawke wasn't on a magical quest the whole story. He had a life and got swept up in events at the time. But he wasn't a "chosen one". He spent the prologue as refugee. The first Act trying to get rich and hide from Templars. Then he got rich and kind of...bummed around helping friends until the Quinari attacked. Found himself suddenly champion and involved in politics.

The companions did seem like a group of genuine friends rather than in DA1 and Inquisition. Sure inquisition has some close bonds and the time they play cards. But people clearly dislike each other. Blackwall hates Vivienne. Sera hates Vivienne. Well actually most people hate Vivienne. But whereas while their might be some friction, everyone got along in DA2. Which makes sense because why else would they hang out with Hawke if their lives aren't on the line.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I didn't know a lot of the games other people have mentioned counted under the "games only you seemed to like" umbrella since... I mean, Skyrim? Really? People wouldn't shut the hell up about it when it first came out. Ditto on Fallout 4 and Mass Effect 3. Perhaps it should be "games only you seem to like EVERY ASPECT of" since people loved ME3 up to the ending, which was the only part they didn't like.

Uhm... I think a lot of games that MIGHT qualify under this discussion are moreso because I don't know a lot of people (if anyone) who've played or heard of them so only I seem to like them if because no one else played 'em. That being said, I guess I'll give this a go.. and a DECENT go, not a "this game's popular so it's unpopular but darnit I still like it!" thing.

Silent Hill: Homecoming - Yes, the combat is clunky and not too fluid and the overall feel of the game tries a bit too hard to be an homage to the terrible movie but for what it was worth (about 17 bucks at my local Non-Gamestop place to buy games), I really enjoyed it; I liked the characters, the graphics were pretty cool, it had NOT-shitty voice acting (something I always love) and, of course, Akira Yamaoka's music. I understand why it gets the flack it does and it IS a bit too action-oriented but as a Silent Hill fan, I can't bring myself to dislike it. Fun fact, the guy who voices Alex Shepherd is also Varric. Neat, huh?

Deadly Premonition - This one's weird, I'm not gonna lie. It's got a niche way about it and again, it's a pretty big love letter to Twin Peaks but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it; the characters are quirky and there's a lot of stuff to do which you wouldn't think since the graphics aren't that great and it's got one of the most... bizarre openings to anything I've EVER seen, let alone a video game. One you muscle past the first... hour or so of weirdness, it really does get better.

The Evil Within - Oh god, I struggled for a looong time to like this game (which, to my knowledge, everyone's either "meh" or "ew" with it or, at worst, "RE4 knockoff", which I get) so after a year or so of sitting on the fence, I finally caved and now I enjoy it more than I did. As per usual, I completely understand why people don't like this game but it has JUST enough going for me (namely Jackie Earle Haley) that I prefer it over RE4. If nothing else, I don't understand why at least half the population isn't eating it up - the five characters in it are a Hispanic, an Asian, a woman, an autistic kid and a severe burn victim. I guess everyone forgets that?

Also I feel like I should mention this because other than Zero Punctuation giving a review on it, I see absolutely no love on this website for the new King's Quest except for when I'm dishing it out. Not sure if that counts, though. Again, no one I know has really played it (despite me doing everything in my power short of tying them to chairs).

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Master of Magic(DOS) plenty, and I mean PLENTY of attempts have been made to remake this game but I've never heard anybody ever talk about it. And I listen to people talk about games like Civilization a lot.

Age of Wonders 3, Its a little bit hard to get into at first but once you know how to play the game its practically a playground on how you can exploit mechanics and stuff.(I know there are fans of it but I've never heard anybody but TB talk about it directly)

Tyrian 2000, this game ate up my childhood and I remember just playing through it again and again and again even though I had a fully upgraded ship the best weapons fully upgraded.

X-com enforcer, this one is just bad, if you compare it to any of the other games in the series its terrible. But I have fun with it as a dumb action game.

Sword of the Stars 1, I really like this one as an intuitive 4x game, its actually a 4x game that makes sense when you look at it. Nothing insane like vaguely phrased technical problems or any shit like that, you have population, income, weapon types, tax distribution etc. Its simple and you don't actually need to carry a glossary around with you at all times.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
DoPo said:
At which point? There is not really a single unified "pre-Reaper of Souls" experience
Probably not, but it was after RoS that I noticed perception of D3 shifting.

DoPo said:
The...characters in the Diablo series have never really been blank slates. What?
When were they not? In D1 you have a selection of three classes (1-3 more with Hellfire, depending on your tech saviness), in D2 there's a selection of 5 classes, with 2 more with Lord of Destruction. Without using any EU material, I challenge you to define their personalities, and how they change as characters. I'd say name them, but without EU material, they're nameless. D3 has the advantage of giving the classes dialogue, backstories, characterization, and actual character development (seriously, compare the quest logs from vanilla to RoS - the Nephalem has certainly changed).

DoPo said:
And this was the big difference with the previous games - they were all about the loot. Not that D3 dialled down - it most certainly didn't, however, it dialled up on the story. Which, while not really bad by itself, it got negative reaction because it attempted to be in your face and take centre stage - contrary to previous games.
That's part of the reason why I prefer D3 to its predecessors on the story front. In D1 and D2, the story felt like an afterthought (probably because it was), whereas in D3 it's in the forefront of the game. D3 feels like an actual story, D2 feels like a game with a story that happens to be in it, D1 feels like a game with the vaguest semblance of story.

DoPo said:
They both had a story that is told a lot through the environments, mechanics, enemies, as well as lots of other optional activities the player can take.
Examples. D3 has no shortage of any of those things, and while I'd say they add to worldbuilding, I can't say they add to the plot per se.

DoPo said:
On the contrary, there are heaps of lore and story crammed into Torchlight. The main story itself follows closely the story in Diablo - the first games of each series mimic each other as do the second games. Well, given that Torchlight was created by ex-Diablo developers, it must have been their little homage to their previous games. At any rate, the Torchlight games take after Diablo in more ways than the main quests - the story is again told through numerous in-game sources that are completely optional and up to the player to explore. This is the Diablo way of telling a story - subtly, yet expansively.
Torchlight had an expansive story? Okay, let's see (without looking anything up):

You start off with a class (I'll call her Vale because that's what I called the class I picked, knowing that it was her canonical name in TL2). Vale has two pieces of entire dialogue (read: monologue) in the entire game, namely as the game's intro and outro. Both are primarily concerned with setting up the scenario - something's buggered up the town of Torchlight, which is a hub of ember. The outro establishes that "something bad will happen, but for now I'll stay in Torchlight." I.e. justification for end-game content. Neither pieces of dialogue say anything about her character. Throughout the story she undergoes no character development or anything approaching characterization.

Torchlight itself is bereft of any NPCs of note. Most are human. There's what looks like a pair of orcs (least I think they're orcs), but the presence of orcs isn't explained or mentioned, so I can't say. Triya may be an elf, but I can't be sure. Some of these NPCs give a few tidbits about themselves or the surrounds, but these are few and far between. Far less than even D1.

So, you venture into the mines. Syl and her partner come across the antagonist, who's been corrupted by Ordrak. Syl's partner is killed, and Vale is infected with ember (or is at some point in the story). Vale is apparently on a timed life. Vale has no reaction to this whatsoever. Syl sends us to deal with the antagonist. As we go down, there's little of note. There's the implication that Ordrak has been casting down one civilization after another, and that each civilization is less advanced than the one preceeding it. Torchlight is on the surface, then we get the catacombs, then the Atlantis-esque ruins, then the dwarven ruins, then Ordrak's domain (give or take). However, this is never mentioned or discussed. It's a tidbit for those paying attention, but nothing comes out of it. I'm well aware that I may be reading too deeply into things. We get logs about the antagonist, about how he too is being consumed by ember, but very little comes out of this.

So, the antagonist is killed, Vale is cured of her corruption (no idea how she feels about this). Then we fight Ordrak, who's nothing but a crazed beast with no characterization or motivation beyond destruction. Ordrak is killed, and Vale remains in Torchlight for loot. The end.

Well aware that I could have missed some things, but this is a very bare-bones story. Bear in mind I actually LIKE Torchlight, but only in the sense of its gameplay. Story? Not so much.

DoPo said:
Based on what? Did you even attempt to look for the story? Path of Exile is another game hailed as a successor of Diablo 2 and with good reason - the aesthetics and playstyle are clearly reminiscent of D2, as is the community aspect of the game. However, that's not all - PoE also follows the Diablo way of telling a story. Sure, you meet few NPCs here and there that tell you some lines and you usually have to kill them afterwards and you could say that's what the story is. But you'd be wrong. The story is all around - from the very first time you step into Wraeclast the story has been present. Similar to Diablo and Torchlight, it conveys its story by a multitude of ways, all of them reliant on player. One of the most amazing thing is how the very gameplay is literally part of the story. The incorporation of the mechanics with the main story of the game is a masterful example that such a feat can be done.
I gave up on PoE mainly because of the gameplay. Its story is better than Torchlight's, but it gives me little to work with. But let's see (I played the ranger which I named Arianne, so let's go by this analogy, and again, going entirely by memory):

Arianne and other exiles are dropped off on Wraeclast, sentenced by Oriath. Oriath, I can infer, is a theological kingdom based near Wraeclast, but has no real presence on it. Arianne receives no characterization bar the bare-bones backstory that is presented in the character selection screen. Arianne also shows no signs of character growth/development. Regardless, Arianne ends up on the shores of Wraeclast, and makes it to the survivour's enclave. After that, I can't really say much about the plot. It does fill us in on Wraeclast though - how the Karui (sp?) arrived, how the Karui themselves have a culture similar to the Maori (far as I could tell at least), how they died out, how there's something inherantly...off, about Wraeclast. The undead are one example. Anyway, act 1 goes on, Arianne defeats Butcher-lite and Merveil, neither of whom are particuarly interesting, and encounters Dominus, who blocks the road. NPCs want Arianne to go inland for food, I think? At this point in time I'm tired of being their errand boy - these people survived for years, yet do. Nothing. Gameplay, I know, but many RPGs try to maintain at least the illusion of the world moving on regardless of your actions. But fine, I'll move on.

So I come inland, meet another camp of NPCs hustled in the ruins of an ancient civilization, who are just as content to do nothing. At this point I gave up due to how large the areas were, coupled with the monotony of the enemies and the gameplay.

Like I said, PoE turned me off more due to its gameplay than story. In terms of story, it gets props for worldbuilding. But it's lacking in characterization, and in terms of plot, there's the rumblings of one, but still no clear goal beyond "survive." And this is in what at least began as a 3 act game, so I assume that I'm at least a third of the way into the story, and still without a clear goal. I.e. what people compalined about in Final Fantasy XIII, to use another example from this thread. Or, to quote another RPG in this thread, you know how long it took Golden Sun to give the player a clear goal? Between 1 and 2 hours, at the longest. And it gives its first plot hook (as in, genuine mystery, to both the player and the characters), within the first 10 minutes.

DoPo said:
Mostly because it ditched the entire legacy of well crafted and subtle story telling. And yeah, the story kind of sucked, too. OK, some of the cutscenes were sweet but the fact that it relied on them wasn't.
That's another reason I like D3, because the cutscenes actually have a purpose to the story. I mean, look at the D2 ones. By themselves, they're excellent. Excellently animated, excellent in conveying atmosphere, very well written, etc. But what irked me in D2 was how disconnected they felt from the story, how they're effectively a parallel story that has little bearing on the one in-game. Characters cross over, true, but put it this way - Marius never meets the player. The player never meets the Dark Wanderer outside that brief bit in Act III. In contrast, D3's cinematics are used to bridge the story, and keep it flowing. We see Leah and Tyrael in our camp, we see them in the cinematics, and it makes the story feel far more cohesive.

Given how Diablo 2 was developed, I can concede that the cinematic segregation thing was a byproduct of how the game was developed. And again, cinematics by themselves are excellent. As part of an overall story? Not so much. Or, to put it another way, play D2 without any of the cinematics, and you'll probably get the same overall story. Cut them out from D3, and the story would suffer for it. Also a nice tidbit in that in addition to the pre-rendered cinematics we get those pieces of animation for the player character - usually exposition, but I love the animation, and it does give us some insight into their character. Which again, D2 is lacking on the player character front. There's one-liners that briefly touch on their character, but very minimally.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Splinter Cell: Conviction. If it didn't have Splinter Cell in the title it'd be remembered as one of the more inventive stealth games in recent memory instead of the black sheep of the franchise. Its a major tonal shift for the series and while its not everybody's bag it works out quite well.

Far Cry 2. I know I'm not the only person who likes it, there's a cult following its amassed, but I've never met somebody else who thought that Far Cry 2 is better than Far Cry 3. No disrespect to Far Cry 3, I don't think its just a good great but in fact a great game, but I don't think its as good as Far Cry 2.

Dalisclock said:
Harlemura said:
Also Sazh. Sazh was amazing. I'm surprised people aren't more lenient on the whole game just because it has Sazh.
I think most people will agree that Sazh was a good character. The problem is, Sazh seems like the ONLY good character in the game while the rest are useless, annoying, dull or some combination of the above. As opposed to most FF games where normally you have the one character that most people don't like(Quina, Titus, Cait Sith, Squall(?), whoever people hated in 6) whereas in XIII it's most of the cast that most people don't like.
Basically this, though I did think Vanille was okay. Hated the other four though. Lightning? ****. Snow? ****. Hope? Psychotic ****. Fang? ****, but more bearable than the other cunts because the game at least acknowledges that she's a ****. There's nothing wrong with having protagonists that you hate and most of the games I've played that acknowledged that you're playing as a character who is a bad person, or at least doing bad things, does something interesting with it regardless of the overall quality of the game but FF XIII didn't acknowledge it. They basically murder a bunch of cops who are attacking them because they think they're a threat to the society (which isn't wrong) and don't feel bad about it. They already weren't likable but that is straight up sociopathy.
Far Cry 2, all of the love.

I remember the most amazing sequence I had. I was ambushing a convoy, and usually I used IEDs, but I was out and I'd picked up a launcher. I parked the car and stood in the middle of the road with my launcher to blast it. Gun misfired, the rocket fell on the ground, went spinning like mad, shot off, blew up my car, started a fire. In the chaos, I destroyed the convoy, but the guys came after me, shot me. Buddy rescue, buddy gets shot too, then there's the heal or mercy kill choice. Oh god I loved that game so much. Far Cry 3 is amazing, but it's just not the same. All the locations felt so good, and the way that the missions took you round all of them, and you actually felt the difference to the game by unlocking the gear, because the gear is so shit.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Dark Souls 2.

Some people just cannot acknowledge that it improved mechanics or had any positive development at all for the Souls series.

There are legitimate gripes to have with the game but so many people shit on it for barely justified reasons, if that.

And I think Scholar of the First Sin helps to reinforce those assumptions even more for those who just shit on it without playing it and took the plunge this time, because from all I've watched of it it makes the game considerably worse outside of some much-needed story exposition.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
sonicneedslovetoo said:
Sword of the Stars 1, I really like this one as an intuitive 4x game, its actually a 4x game that makes sense when you look at it. Nothing insane like vaguely phrased technical problems or any shit like that, you have population, income, weapon types, tax distribution etc. Its simple and you don't actually need to carry a glossary around with you at all times.
I've not heard anyone disliking the first one...at all. Now, the second one on the other hand...brrrr.

OT:

Master of Orion III
There might be one or two people online who doesn't dislike this game but I've yet to encounter anyone who likes it.
It saw a lot of changes from I & II like starlanes and a more abstract and holistic approach to managing your empire which could account for the resistance people felt towards it.
They also got rid of managing people as a resource and limitation on planets, a plus in my mind but not for some.
Warfare is also balanced out to maintain a status quo which lets you plot political schemes in peace, terraform new planets in your systems and give you more time to research instead of constant strife and conquest as is usual with most 4X games that put too much emphasis on conquest..

Lost Empire: Immortals
A great gem of a game, if you can make it run on your computer. Even if you do get it running it's very crash-prone sadly.
They could also improve planet management which is slightly befuddling and research which is a bit lackluster.
What "saves" the game in my eyes are the sheer scale of the universe, with 5000 stars to explore, colonize and conquer.
Everything else about the game is .. okay.

Disliked, ignored or unknown?

Harbinger
You've probably seen me mention this game quite a few times. ,) Yet I've never seen anyone else who've even played it.
To my knowledge, it remains the only Sci-Fi Diablo-Clone to date. A really unexplored game niche and to me that's unfathomable. It's Diablo! In space!! With lasers and high-tech gadgets!!! Might not contain lasers.

Drox Operative
Just like Soldak's other game Depths of Peril it blends wildly different genres to create a unique game.
I would prefer it if the civilizations took quite a lot longer to expand and conquer but it's a great time-waster nonetheless.

Smugglers 3,4,5
Another series that's never talked about.
If you remove the other genres from Space Rangers it can be viewed as similar.
Turn-based movement and combat where you control a simple ship with the aim of gathering enough credits to upgrade your ship or create your own empire (in 5).

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Lineage II and it's early chronicles. Before (copying) World of Warcraft it was a very challenging MMO with severe punishments that provided lots of opportunity's for others to murder you (including you could name yourself anything).

It would have never been that popular though because it's a bit of slow game with plenty of grinding and massive open area's with hidden mobs, but every second was tense since anything could strike you down or reward you greatly at any moment. I also enjoyed the simple game play where all of it could be controlled with the mouse, unlike most MMO's now where you need to perform like 10 different attacks on one mob by level 30. And I also loved the idea of shopping through everybody's independent stores, all like in real life before the internet shopping. Everything was challenge, even finding quests, and all these challenges just added so much more depth to the world for me. Making friends really meant a lot in L2.

Unlike WoW where I could get to the end by myself no problem. I was never worried in that game in PvE, and a PvP game was a pain in the ass since so many high level enemy's enjoyed hanging out in the low level area's.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Lufia Erim said:
Alpha protocol. Very good game. I seem to be the only person who got the bug free version.
You are not the only one who got the bug free version. I've played through it three times (I think) and never once encountered the supposed game breaking glitches. Alpha Protocol is a fantastic RPG let down only by the combat.

Happyninja42 said:
Homeworld: Cataclysm
Many people have played it, but fewer like it compared to HW 1 and 2. I personally loved it, and consider it the best of all 3 titles.
Great game! Not as good as 1, in my opinion, but MUCH better than 2. Homeworld 2 felt like a rehash of the first game, but with pretty graphics and a better UI. Cataclysm felt like a new game, but with the same graphics and bad UI of the first. Plus, you get to see the Bentusi for who (and what) they really are.

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded on the Nintendo DS... Say what you will about their HD cinematic counterparts, the gameplay in the DS games were worth playing for (especially in Re:Coded) and, at times, made certain story moments involving combat have a better execution by just showing them instead of eluding to them after a fade-to-black sequence in the HD cinematic, which reign more true in 358... Seriously, one of the more emotional moments in the game loses its [full] impact when the HD cinematic doesn't even showcase the battle that happened beforehand...

Other that that, even though it was technically my first Star Fox game, Star Fox: Assault was still a great game even if it wasn't all focused on Arwing/Landmaster missions that have branching paths while still technically being on-rails until X moment happens, thus giving you free reigns to move around the designated map... I mean, I'm still excited for Star Fox Zero to come out, especially since I have a Wii U in question, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to miss the on-foot missions and/or the on-foot local PVP multiplayer showcased in Assault, yo... (That multiplier, though...)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Watch_Dogs

Its entirely possible I enjoyed it because I didn't pay any attention to the hype train on it. Not that it didn't have its flaws (Aiden being boring, or at the least, poorly presented, and not-in-tune with the provided gameplay). The mechanics were generally solid (yes, the driving was arcadey with the 300 foot bike jumps up stairs) if a bit limited, and the rest of the cast pulled their parts of the story off well (especially the sister acting like a rational human being and flipping out that her brother was a murdering revenge fanatic, rather then casually overcoming it and getting her kid the hell away from him)

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I really liked Heroes of Might and Magic 4, it's not that it was poorly received at the time. Just that I see more criticism directed at it and 3 held up with cult-like awe.

I really liked the hero system, where they fought on the battlefield. And the faction interactins, where each of the 5 connected factions had two allies and two enemies. But those allies in turn hated each other, so you could only combine armies of the two factions. The fact you couldn't build all the buildings in one city so had to make tactical choices.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Hawki said:
DoPo said:
When were they not? In D1 you have a selection of three classes (1-3 more with Hellfire, depending on your tech saviness), in D2 there's a selection of 5 classes, with 2 more with Lord of Destruction. Without using any EU material, I challenge you to define their personalities, and how they change as characters.
Their backstory is given at character creation and their personality is revealed through by their lines in-game. Purely from there, (also, since I haven't actually read anything from EU) for example, I can say that the necromancer is confident in his own abilities and seems to work well by himself, he is also interested in studying the occult, but also he has a creepy streak to him that is most likely be a result of not being very social to begin with - a result of him spending a lot of time by himself. That makes him a sort of nerd in the game, although he might even fall into the autistic spectrum (depending of whether he was born that way, or not).

Hardly a blank slate, although yeah - there isn't much change in the characters. We just learn more and more about them as the game progresses.

Hawki said:
Torchlight had an expansive story?
Talking about overall story, not the main quest. Lore, if you will. There is heaps of it. A lot can actually be found on set and unique item descriptions, however, the locations also tell a lot about the world, as well.

Hawki said:
The undead are one example. Anyway, act 1 goes on, Arianne defeats Butcher-lite and Merveil, neither of whom are particuarly interesting
Brutus was the creation of Shavronne - a dark sorceress that took the prison warden and infused him with her magic to turn him into that. He was intended to guard the prisons and stop the Karui invasion, however, after his transformation, he killed Shavronne. It's actually Shavronne's tale that starts here and interestingly, it starts with the very end of her life.

Merveil is also related to a different character in the game - Daresso. She was her wife, however, at one point Daresso gave her a gift - a gemstone necklace. The necklace, however, slowly corrupted her into the being that you see at the end of Act 1. She is important motivation for Daresso as it was her corruption that made him go off and try to find a cure.

Hawki said:
and encounters Dominus, who blocks the road.
Dominus doesn't appear until the end of Act 3. You meet Piety - Dominus' right hand in Wraeclast.

Hawki said:
NPCs want Arianne to go inland for food, I think? At this point in time I'm tired of being their errand boy
Impressed by how you handled Hillock (first mini-boss, just outside of the town) the NPCs ask you for a favour. And that favour is - were you to go out, could you help out a bit. Also, they ask, not order, because they surely know that not everybody who comes through there would be willing to help out. You impressed them because you manage to take on the evils outside, survived, and you are well despite that. They, on the other hand, are struggling - everything outside is trying to kill them, so very few actually make the journey. Tarkleigh is the one who goes off for food every now and again, the rest are mostly too wounded or weak to do anything. In fact, the favour you were asked was to go and fetch a medicine chest, so that the wounded and sick can possibly live more.

Hawki said:
these people survived for years, yet do. Nothing.
They cannot do anything. Well, almost - some of them do venture out however, the people in the settlement find the creatures outside too strong to tackle. You do not. This is important - you can and do overcome Wraeclast.

You push on forward because that's the only thing you can do. Again, you can - nobody else in the Twilight strand is up to the task.

Hawki said:
So I come inland, meet another camp of NPCs hustled in the ruins of an ancient civilization, who are just as content to do nothing.
Ah, but they do. They do far more venturing outside than the inhabitants of the Twilight Strand. They regularly go outside, however, the dangers they face are still great - you are still better at handling them.

At the time you arrive, the village happens to be besieged by more than just Wraeclast - there are three bandit lords that terrorise them and extort them for the little the inhabitants of the forest encampment have. You are asked to deal with the bandits - they are also at war with each other, so you could take one of their sides and kill the remaining or kill them all. Regardless, it's again something that you can do. Again, this is an important thing.

Now why is it important that you can do stuff that others cannot? It is the underlying theme in Path of Exile - corruption. From the first moment you step on Wraeclast, you are affected by the corruption that has twisted the rest of the continent. You are slowly changing...or "adapting", if you will. Depends on how you want to look at it. You are certainly getting different and more powerful. But at what cost? The power you get is very obviously supernatural. One may also say it's wrong. You can shake off blows that would kill a normal person, even the most grievous wounds you get can close themselves in a matter of moments, not days, you can use some skill gems with unparalleled efficiency. Some of the feats you can reach are even more drastic.

All this is encoded in the passive skill tree - that's the corruption of Wraeclast giving you access to abilities you would never normally have. Each level you get makes you more in touch with the primordial power that is seeped into the land. You are slowly being twisted by it. The endgame content is the peak of your character's corruption, when they set humanity aside and embrace Wraeclast. And mind you, you will not find the game explicitly saying that any point - you don't get a cutscene where a narrator says it - only by finding out about the history of Wraeclast, can you find your journey parallels that of others, all of whom are spoken of as villains, monsters and otherwise unpleasant people. You get to meet some of them or their legacy. It usually ends up with you having to destroy whatever you meet.