Those Little Scenes You Love - Spoilers

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
No doubt. You know what probably my favorite Superman story was? "For the Man Who Has Everything", specifically because it showcases exactly what you're saying; his deepest and most heartfelt desire is to live a simple life surrounded by family.

My bone of contention, as it were, centered on "would she love him for Clark", which never strikes me as the right question considering how much of the Clark he is around her is performative. To put it slightly differently: The Clark Kent that people at the Daily Bugle know is very different (and deliberately so) from the Clark Kent that Ma and Pa Kent know, and the latter is the more "authentic" Clark. There's another scene that I like to cite from the Donner Cut for Superman II. The reasons for it are very similar to the scene I cite from the first Superman (namely, the impact of Reeve's physicality).

A semi-popular summation of that is something to the effect that at 3:43 we see Clark Kent and at 3:44 we see Superman with glasses. However, I think a more nuanced perspective is that at the latter moment we don't see Superman so much as we see Clark simply drop the act, too stunned that Lois would actually pull the trigger to put on any pretense. This gives us a glimpse at "authentic" Clark while he's having difficulty processing what just happened, which lasts until he starts crossing his arms and fully transitions to his Superman persona...which he briefly drops again when Lois reveals the deception. It's admittedly a largely academic distinction, but it's reflective of my view that while neither of them are his true self, his persona at the Daily Bugle is further from the truth than his persona as a Superhero is. Put a different way, in a world where he was normal, I easily see him living a humble, happy, and helpful life, but I don't see him acting as mousey as the "Clark Kent" in the Bugle does.
Ok, I get what's happening. This is my fault.

When I'm saying Clark, I'm thinking about Not-Superman Kal-El. The good natured, boring man. How Batman, Wonder Woman, and the rest see past his powers and sees the Man he truly is.

The Bumbling thing, yeah, a complete act. We all know that. But I'm afraid anyone who doesn't know will just find out that he's Superman and think that's truly how he is Twenty Four-Seven. The Cape is his actual normal clothing and everything else is a fake. I think most people who would find out that he was Superman would just be so entranced by all that Superman can do that they will forget to find out who he is under the S. They might confuse getting info about his abilities as getting to know him, but in Kal-El's head? That stuff is probably what he hates the most because that's all people are concerned about.

The very thing that prevents him from just being him.

Also, about that scene... I hate it. I mean, this is a man who can process thought fast enough to fly around the world in a second. More over to see a bullet in mid-air and catch it.

... Superman couldn't tell that it was a blank? Really? We can argue that he wanted to get caught. And yeah, I can see that. But seeing how he was instructed to play defeated, I'm just going to chalk that up to not thinking about who the character really is.

You're right, That JLU episode was great. A lot of the Justice League episodes actually got me to like Superman. I thought he was boring before. But the amount of restraint he has for everyone is beyond interesting because... well, compare it to the world we have now. Selfishness is normal. Someone truly kind is extraordinary.

Anyway, this is Kal-El to me.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Ok, I get what's happening. This is my fault.
Nope! None of that! There's no blame to be given in a friendly chat where we can all enjoy geeking out. This is just one of the perils of discussing characters with multiple identities. ...Besides, I have it on good authority that I have a tendency to over-explain myself, which can make me seem a bit more argumentative than I intend. 🤷‍♂️

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I like how during the car chase in Bullitt, Frank waits to make sure that the person riding the motorcycle who crashed was alright before resuming the chase.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Watched Total Recall again two days ago. I like when Arnold asks for a pen so that he can test his own handwriting and make sure he wrote the letter to himself. Clever for not explaining itself.

title_t00.mkv_snapshot_00.52.21.460.jpg

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I love the scene in the Christmas movie The Ref when Lieutenant Huff gets fired. The absolute calm and matter of fact way he says "I nailed your wife, Bob." and ends the little scene with "Three times, Bob. She said you never went three times, Bob." just makes the scene awesome.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
In Jurassic Park when John Hammond casually mentions they clocked the T-Rex at 32 miles per hour, and then with a smile confirms to Grant 'Yes, we have a T-Rex'.

Taking this scene in context to when this movie first came out, it's absolutely brilliant teasing. This movie was fucking magic at the time due to its CGI, we'd never seen dinosaurs like this before in movies - creatures that looked like living breathing animals, walking around freely without wires or any other sort of animatronic trickery. Just real dinosaurs. And then we actually get to see one, and we share in Grant's amazement at seeing this thing walking around. Then Hammond mentions they have a T-Rex, conveying to the audience 'Yes, you're going to see a T-Rex - the most badass fucking dinosaur - with these new groundbreaking special effects, so buckle up because it's going to be fucking rad as hell'.

Reactions: Gordon_4