Those sneaky mimic chests...

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
coldfrog said:
Tallim said:
I've had many a nethack run end due to mimics :/
My first thought indeed! Though I don't have quite as much trouble with them (I can tell where they are in sudoku now and generally don't fall for them in the store), they can still be a nasty shock.
They aren't too bad once you are more tooled up but early game they can be a swift end to a run if you aren't playing well.

I also think you meant "Sokoban" not Sudoku.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
My first mimic wasnt a mimic, but a monster chest if FF2(na). It had several ogres clown-cared into it and I swear they were harder than the end boss!

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
Pokemon.

Those Pesky Electrodes!
For some reason I found foongus (or however it's spelled) to be even more annoying that that. Probably because they could be anywhere, whereas voltorb was usually consigned to powerplants and the like.

Dark souls has the best and most legitimately threatening mimics everywhere. Found myself just hitting every chest I saw after Sen's Fortress.

Dark Cloud 1 and 2 littered these buggers positively *everywhere*. The big ones were pretty damn tough too.

I remember them being a real challenge in Mario RPG as well, wish they'd bring them back for the paper mario series... but first they'd have to turn the paper mario series back into an actual RPG series.

deviltry

Nov 18, 2009
/facepalm
Yeah, first time mimic in Dark Souls killed me. After that I learned to... HIT EVERY CHEST!

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Tallim said:
I've had many a nethack run end due to mimics :/ At least the Dark Souls ones actually move while sitting there, the lid rocks up and down very slowly.
Another telltale sign of a mimic in Dark Souls is the chain hanging out of it. A mimic's chain will be different from a safe chest's chain.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Exius Xavarus said:
Tallim said:
I've had many a nethack run end due to mimics :/ At least the Dark Souls ones actually move while sitting there, the lid rocks up and down very slowly.
Another telltale sign of a mimic in Dark Souls is the chain hanging out of it. A mimic's chain will be different from a safe chest's chain.
I've heard that before but I've never noticed it. I tend to find the moving thing gives them away. There are only a couple I can never remember anyway. The ones amongst other chests usually.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Tallim said:
Exius Xavarus said:
Tallim said:
I've heard that before but I've never noticed it. I tend to find the moving thing gives them away. There are only a couple I can never remember anyway. The ones amongst other chests usually.
I've never noticed them moving. :x My eyes automatically snap to the chain. If the chain's curving back around to point at the chest, it's normal. If the chain's just sticking out away from the chest, it's a mimic. Even then I have a habit of smacking every chest I see before I open it, post Sen's Fortress. xD

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
In a DND game, my hands stuck to the the top as I was checking for traps and then orks rushed in and killed the party while I sat there stuck to a chest that was trying to devour me.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Tallim said:
coldfrog said:
Tallim said:
I've had many a nethack run end due to mimics :/
My first thought indeed! Though I don't have quite as much trouble with them (I can tell where they are in Sokoban now and generally don't fall for them in the store), they can still be a nasty shock.
They aren't too bad once you are more tooled up but early game they can be a swift end to a run if you aren't playing well.

I also think you meant "Sokoban" not Sudoku.
What? Huh? I never said that! *whistles innocently*

As a side note, I'm actually rather amused that, for the most part, in video game circles, the word "Mimic" is often instantly associated with fake treasure chests. Somehow that seems odd to me.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Valve had a great idea, they painted them black and turned them into these. [http://images.wikia.com/half-life/en/images/e/e5/Headcrab_poison.jpg]

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
There's a few of those in Metroid Fusion.
They look like missile and energy expansions then you go to get them and... they're enemies.
They don't one-hit kill you but they're still a nuisance.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
Not sure if anyone has said it yet but the Electrodes and Voltorbs from Pokemon would fit the bill for this.

There were also mimics in Castlevania.