Those under 25: how well do you remember your life before the internet?

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm 19 now. I think I got it when I was 8. Before the internet, I just used to play outside for the whole day.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I'm older than 25 and I can distinctly remember a time before I had the internet. It was not a presence in my home until I was 12 or so if I recall correctly. Strangely, I can actually do without the internet quite easily as I can certainly replicate the experience here (arguing with people) in meatspace easily enough and I rarely choose to play an online game except in the company of friends anyhow.

For me, the internet is simply a means to an end, and in any circumstance I could consider it is not the only means to any given end.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm 23, so I remember what it was like when the internet was in its infancy.

I spent most of my childhood playing Nintendo and Sega, until the Nintendo 64 and Playstation came out. I also loved riding my bike and participating in the neighborhood baseball and football games(Homerun derby with a tennis ball = my brother always won :( ), and sledding in the winter. I only used the internet for looking up cheats and guides. AOL(dialup) was just about all that was available.

I never really got into the internet until around 16-17. I played computer games but not online.

I was a lot more physically active before I got into the internet, but that's because I was young and full of energy. I could have been online all the time, but I just wanted to be outside getting cuts and bruises.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I'm 20, the internet wasn't a big part of my life until my brother and I got a computer of our own in Christmas of '02. We had dial up obviously and didn't have broadband until 2004 or so. Before the internet I played video games, before we got broadband I went to a net cafe and played video games or we had LAN parties. I have a brother who is a year older than me; multiplayer was a rule. Gaming has always been social for me, I have trouble playing games by myself. The internet just made that easier.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
I played with lego a shitload. Really, all the time.
this.
I also went to that bright place, y'know you end up there when you go through those rectangle holes in the wall.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I remember it fairly well - but my home only got an internet connection when I was 18, and I'm 23 now, so it wasn't really all that long ago, heh. Nowadays I don't like going without the net. Too much of a vital social connection to go without.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
adamtm said:
I mostly relied on friends and sneakernet.
Also delicious delicious gaming magazines that completely became obsolete nowadays.

Oh and around 65484321843454 hours clocked into Fallout and Fallout 2.
You'd be surprised. I opened up an Edge Magazine from 2005 and I actually read some of the articles, and I was like "wow...this is actually really good!"

This is pretty much the only place I can say I've seen really well written articles these days.

EDIT: Oh! And I remember playing WWF on the field with my friends. Christ that was dangerous, we were doing submissions like we were getting paid to damage the other person!
I buy video game magazines from time to time and they're a good way to waste time. Just relax and read some articles that are better written than most of what you read on the internet, so I agree there.

Time before internet, now those were the days. Back in my young carefree days where NES and SNES, games you needed a command line to start and later Nintendo 64 and Windows 98 games occupied my days. I miss those days, but I guess that's mostly because nothing really mattered back then because of my age. Now I'm more aware of the world and less carefree, but I wont blame internet for any of my buzzkills, more the opposite.

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
I'm 21 and I had computer class in grade school. had to use... netscape. ugh. also i didn't get above 48.8kbps dialup until 2009. then I got 100mbps and now I need new hard drives.

sure, I get mad when my internet doesn't work, but it's only because I have something that I pay so much for and it damn well should work. it's not that I NEED it , it just makes life a little bit more convenient.

before i had the internet in my home , I would play with lots of action figures, draw, sculpt, read, and play N64, Gameboy and PS2. lol it was almost like the turn of the century-- I had old cartridge games and fancy, new-fangled, disk-based games and then I had my toys. good times, man , good times.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I played single-player games instead. I read books too, but I still do that now.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Banksey said:
I remember it well. fifa 98 on the worlds slowest computer
Glad to see I am not the only one who remembers FIFA 98. I was never much into sports games, but I loved FIFA 98 for the sheer fact that it had indoor football. =)

Speaking of which, remember dial up connections? THEY WERE SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Dear heavens, don't remind me. I will never forget the red lights and the beeping and the buzzing the 56k modem gave away every time we turned on the connection for as long as I live. It was painfully slow and it hogged the telephone line, pissing off my parents more than a few times. To top it all off, the phone bill at the end of the month always ended up being in astronomical heights, especially if my second oldest brother had his Red Alert multiplayer sessions or left the modem turned on all night (!!) to download things from Napster or Kazaa (anyone still remember those?). I am quite capable of nostalgic feelings...but I only had this to say to our old dial-up connection when we replaced it with broadband: "Good riddance!"

Anyway, I am 21, so I do remember the days before we got the internet (which we got in 2000). I either spent my time outside playing or watching TV. Sadly, I wasn't much of a reader, something I dearly regret nowadays that I have aspirations of becoming a writer.

While I don't feel like dying if I don't have access to the internet for a time, I must admit that it is hard to adjust. Nowadays, I am so connected with the rest of the world that not being connected ends up feeling a little off. So although I don't need it to "survive", if at all possible, I will try to gain access for at least an hour just to see what has transpired while I was gone.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
I got it when I was....6? But I wasn't allowed on till I was 9. We always had a fast connection...but before that, I used to play in the huge woods here...young Rambo with a laser tag gun!

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Eh, I'd play video games all day when I wasn't in school or doing homework, or at soccer practice.

Zirat

May 16, 2009
17 here, and yes I do.

I played a lot with build-a-blocks (no legos for me, cheap parents), flag football (got boring fast, other kid's were tools), frog catching (really fun times there with some friends), and some other neat things. Not saying I dont do thing's other than interwebs now but it is a pretty big timefiller.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
books comics, playing sports, doing things other than surfing. it was fun in context.