Those "When the hell did this get so easy?!" moments...

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
In Driver the very first mission where you have to impress a bunch of people. As a kid it was hard as nails but now? I can come close to the developers record.

MoreThanANoob

Oct 9, 2012
Spyro the Dragon.

When I was a kid, I could barely make it through the game.

Now I can 100% it in a day with nary a sweat broken, and am confident enough to go back and play through it blindfolded this summer (look for it on Youtube #ShamelessSelfPromotion).

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Final fantasy 7. When I first played it, I hardly understood any of the mechanics which meant I never got anywhere near beating the Ruby or Emerald WEAPONS. Then I got older, learnt the mechanics, found all the hidden items (using a guide because, let's face it, most of those you weren't going to find without help) and demolished all the bosses I had trouble with. Still had to resort to using massively broken materia combos for the WEAPONS though.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I guess me learning any sort of character in stuff like fighting games or MOBA games. I am super terrible at everything until I randomly *get* what the character is meant to be during my 20th-ish online match. Literally from terrible to passable in the blink of an eye.

Special mention to Dante in UMVC3 because it took me so damn long to figure out how to do anything with him. Now I can actually do stuff with him instead of getting instakilled every single game. Protip: Devil Must Die is your friend. Never be afraid to hilariously punish any random throwouts with it. INVINCIBILITY FRAMMMEEEESSSSSS!!!!!

Oh and I can actually finish most missions in XCOM without taking damage now, within reason anyway. Fucking Mutons and their random grenade throws. I got stuck with the League of Redshirts for a while though. Literally one random new guy stuck in the default armour while everyone else was a decent rank and wearing the manly gear would die each and every mission. There was always one of my mains injured so this one spot was forever spot to the random scrub who panics and dies within 5 minutes.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
When you do something for a long time, you get better at it. 'Gaming' is a skill. An adept gamer will grasp the mechanics of games they've never played before, even if the control scheme is completely unique, much faster than a non-gamer would. Consequently, games seem to be getting easier when it's actually you just developing your skills playing them.

KingKickass

Oct 8, 2012
Alfador_VII said:
KingKickass said:
Definitely World of Warcraft, how I remember it from release to when I stopped in 2008 to now; it's like it's catering to bad players or wanting people to level up extremely fast. In the same amount of time it took you to level up to 20 in the previous version you can level up 5 characters to 20.
You've fallen into the trap of thinking that just because levelling is deliberately faster, the rest of the game is easy. Because of the ever higher level cap, they make it easier to get there in a reasonable time. Also, reaching 20 is only just out of the newbie zone, especially as the current cap is 90 :)

Now there is a reasonable argument to be made about easier max level content, but really, there's 3 difficulty levels, the hardest of which is pretty damn challenging still.
Even so, I just started a new Paladin yesterday and already I'm at level 38. I know that's not even half of 90 but it's still pretty high for one day.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Got out the ps2 and Crash Team racing and crash bandicoot 2, flew through them. So easy nowadays to play, and caused so many issues back in the day. To be honest, most of the cockups came from clunky controls.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I could never beat Rocket Knight Adventures as a kid. I'd either get to the castle and be slaightered by the instant-kill guards, get the collapsing room and murderized or killed by the boss in the space level immediately after.

Last year I got to the last boss with over 20 spare lives.

Also, this Oregon Trail sounds interesting. And very advanced for it's time!

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
See.. i had the opposite experience.

When i was younger i loved to play Gangster: Organized Crime but usually after Week 7 or 8 the CPU opponents go apeshit bananas and crush you into smithereens.

I thought now, that i'm fully grown up and can grow an awesome beard on a whim i gonna give that thing another try and show it who's boss...
Jeah, the Week 8 apocalypse - still there. :(