those "you could've told me" moments in games

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
A friend and I were playing Magicka co op and he kept shouting at me for not healing him properly etc He's trying to heal himself and also raging at me telling me how to cast healing mines and all sorts but there's just a constant 24 ticking on him.

Turns out the Space Marine suit he was wearing doesn't allow you to be healed...

>_>

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
DA:Origins... Got to the bit where you have to fight a copy of your own party, got very stuck there so came up with the idea of getting rid of my companions and having a 1 on 1... It worked, and I won, but what would have been nice to know before the fight...was I was now locked in, and there was a harder fight that definately needed my whole party to defeat, before I could get back to my companions... Bugger...

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
Eve Charm said:
no one mentioned meryl's codec number yet?
Haha! I felt so stupid when I found that! As I expect most people did! They should have said 'on the case', or 'game box', not just box! How many other people were trying to read the fuzzy pixlated writing on Box A?
Good use of breaking the fourth wall though!

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Final boss fight in Devil May Cry 4, how the hell was I suppose to know you had to use Nero's grab move?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Terminate421 said:
I was told that I couldn't directly just sneak up an Mr. Freeze in Arkham City.
Actually, you can. Only once as one of the many takedown variations you have to use against him.

Mine would be any high level dungeon for Skyrim. Especially when there is a level 20+ Draugr Overlord guy with Shouts and Spells and I'm level 7.

Thanks game, oh and you locked the doors behind me, fan-freaking-tastic.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
LittleJoeRambler said:
I remember in the first Vietnam mission in Black Ops, where you were supposed to work your way downhill and knife the barrels and push them into the trenches; I somehow missed when it said I needed to do that so I spent over an hour fighting people on that hill, getting increasingly frustrated until I happened to wander over to a barrel and noticed the "use" key pop up.

I almost stopped playing the game right there. Almost.
This was exactly me. It wasn't until I tried to do that mission on Veteran and died a baziliion times that I realised you were supposed to knife the damn barrels.

leady129

Aug 3, 2009
Only one which comes to mind at the moment is back when I was playing Star Wars: A New Hope on the SNES.
The final level has you fighting ships while navigating the Death Star trench, however, once all the ships were downed you'd suddenly get a five second timer and absolutely no indication as to what you were meant to do before a game over screen was thrown in your face for no apparent reason.

I later discovered, by pure accident, that the game expected you to hit one of the shoulder buttons (which had been all but untouched throughout the rest of the game) within this five seconds to launch the pivotal missile which takes out the station.

Not that I don't like what they were trying to do, but a small nod in the right direction wouldn't have gone astray. Even if it was as simple as making me use, or telling me how to use, the missiles in an earlier level.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
In MGS when you have to find Meryl's codec frequency on the "back of the cd case". I literally went looking for a cd case in the game, only to discover later that "cd case" meant the box the game came in. *facepalm*

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Red Dead redemption

some kind of warning label about how the game will leave you depressed and sobbling like a little girl would have been welcome

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Shanicus said:
The First boss fight in Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably the most recent one - was a hacker, stealthy ninja bloke who didn't kill anyone, so when the first brute of a boss (Minigun, High Defence, grenades) came at me, all I could do is plink at his hp with a pistol I picked up earlier (No ammo, No defence - can turn invisible).

So yeah, would have been nice to know that there was a forced combat area ahead, so I didn't just run past the rocket launcher and grenades earlier in the level.
yes, this definetly..as yahtzee kind of said, my stun gun does SHIT all

Elementary - Dear Watson

Nov 9, 2010
theevilgenius60 said:
Pinkie-Pie-Party said:
In KOTOR 2, there is a part where they force you to fight as Atton Rand, but I had never levelled him up, as I didn't like him and hadn't been told that all companions needed to be levelled.
Oh yeah. It took me forever to figure out I all I had to do was hide behind the bar and shoot them. That had me raging for a good bit.
I had the same... Although after a few attempts of trying to hid behind a table I managed to get to a point where they lost interest with me and allowed me just to shoot and throw grenades at them! It was a shame I could only advance the game by exploiting the glitch, but I had no choice, I was hopelessly stuck! I couldn't even take one out he was so weak!

Mar 30, 2010
Shanicus said:
The First boss fight in Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably the most recent one - was a hacker, stealthy ninja bloke who didn't kill anyone, so when the first brute of a boss (Minigun, High Defence, grenades) came at me, all I could do is plink at his hp with a pistol I picked up earlier (No ammo, No defence - can turn invisible).

So yeah, would have been nice to know that there was a forced combat area ahead, so I didn't just run past the rocket launcher and grenades earlier in the level.
Pretty much this. I'd put all of my praxis points into hacking (both increased levels and reduced detection) and was running around with a bog standard assault rifle and bog standard sniper rifle - I didn't even last as long as the opening cutscene went on for; so I was watching 30 seconds of cutscene, dying in 10 seconds, watching 30 seconds of cutscene, dying in 12 seconds, watching 30 seconds of cutscene, dying in 9 seconds ... ... you get my drift.

Well I have since learned my lesson and my first three praxis points now always go on unlocking the top level typhoon, so that with two shots each clunky, out-of-place boss fight in that otherwise thoroughly enjoyable game is dealt with hassle-free.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
On several occasions in Halo games I've recklessly used up the ammo in a rocket launcher or fuel rod gun only to encounter Hunters later on usually as soon as I've used up all my ammo for them. It's led to me being incredibly cautious with explosive weapons when I'm playing a Halo campaign.

slyguy846371

Dec 30, 2011
I was just playing through FFXII attacking every enemy I could and not really bothering with too many of the sidequests when suddenly the opponent's started gaining levels very quickly, I then searched for walkthroughs and Every.Single.One. said I had to grind to LEVEL TWENTY at the START of the game with ONE CHARACTER with NO SPELLS against an enemy that can INSTANTLY KILL YOU while at less than TEN PERCENT HEALTH using items which costed as much as the average weapon at that time which you have to travel across a desert to get, so basically, I had to restart the game unless I wanted to be underleveled forever

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Last Hugh Alive said:
LittleJoeRambler said:
I remember in the first Vietnam mission in Black Ops, where you were supposed to work your way downhill and knife the barrels and push them into the trenches; I somehow missed when it said I needed to do that so I spent over an hour fighting people on that hill, getting increasingly frustrated until I happened to wander over to a barrel and noticed the "use" key pop up.

I almost stopped playing the game right there. Almost.
This was exactly me. It wasn't until I tried to do that mission on Veteran and died a baziliion times that I realised you were supposed to knife the damn barrels.
I stumbled at the same hurdle. I'd try running all the way down the hill hoping to trigger an event; then I tried running into the bunker at the side for weapons, thinking something in there would be a trigger. Finally, while I was avoiding fire and moving down the left side of the hill, I stood at a certain point and suddenly my AI team-mate shows me what to do.

I'm sure the objective marker at that point is at the bottom of the hill. It stinks of bad game design more than anything.

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
Innegativeion said:
The golden claw in Skyrim is the most recent in memory.

I don't know if anyone actually said "the answer is in the palm of your hand" or anything like that... but I just smacked my forehead at this when I figured it out.
haha yup. I kept thinking the pictures on the walls were the answer :/

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
theevilgenius60 said:
Pinkie-Pie-Party said:
In KOTOR 2, there is a part where they force you to fight as Atton Rand, but I had never levelled him up, as I didn't like him and hadn't been told that all companions needed to be levelled.
Oh yeah. It took me forever to figure out I all I had to do was hide behind the bar and shoot them. That had me raging for a good bit.
I had to use every goddamn stim and grenade i had and it still took me 4 tries. I thought I'd have to restart the game.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
piplink said:
in zelda PH for the ds, i was stuck at the part where you get the 2nd map. you have to close the DS but the desc wasnt specific enough and i spent 30 mins trying everything until i cosed it to check a walkthough and i opened it and it solved itself.
I rember having problems with that too. I got there, probably spent half hour to try to figure it out, but didn't figure it out. Tried to restart, to see if I could find some clues. I found none. So then, when I went to bed, I simply closed the machine, telling myself to test more tomorrow, before I was going to check anything. Then when I woke up, I was suprised. I simply just had to close the machine? You evil little machine...