Thoughts on Resident Evil Revelations.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Half way through this game (I think) and so far, I'm loving it. I never thought I'd feel genuine terror from a hand held game.
The best DS game by far in my opinion.

So I'd like to hear the escapists opinion on this game. And please, no spoilers... Or so help me, I will find you, and I will kill you...

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Playing the demo has been kind of a mixed experience for me. Weirdly, the game reminds me of Resident Evil: Dead Aim, which I wasn't expecting.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
I'm a 3D hater and even I think it looks interesting. Atmosphere, decent controls from what I've seen and it looks really nice. Hopefully, the load times and frame rate are decent enough to make it enjoyable. Personally, I've stopped caring about RE a while ago.

Also, no way is that Jill Valentine.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
zombieshark6666 said:
I'm a 3D hater and even I think it looks interesting. Atmosphere, decent controls from what I've seen and it looks really nice. Hopefully, the load times and frame rate are decent enough to make it enjoyable. Personally, I've stopped caring about RE a while ago.

Also, no way is that Jill Valentine.
Well, considering that's what she looked like in RE5, I'd say that is indeed Jill Valentine.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
zombieshark6666 said:
It's got the best atmosphere of any game I've played, console or handheld. Without a doubt. If it can make me want to wet my pants cos I've got to walk up the stairs of my own house in the dark, it's a good game.
As for the controls, the Circle pad pro, while not needed, is a REAL help. Allows for much smoother controls compared to playing straight. I got a the demo and played it, was getting pretty good. Then with the CPP, it just went from good, to brilliant. The load times and frame rates, that's a problem. The load times themselves are pretty good actually, considering the size of the game. I timed it, takes about 20-30 seconds from DS menu to get into the game. Even online play has the same speed for loading, once both players are ready. The frame rate is exceptional, apart from when going into a new area, such as through these special doors to get into the promenade, the dining room (as featured in the demo) and so on, but these are infrequent so it doesn't get in the way very much. The frame rates at any other time, are smooth and fast, so where it counts, you won't be blind sided due to frame rate chugging.

I strongly suggest you try this game out. After RE 5 I was skeptical about it, but now, I'm very much behind it. If they can use some of the suspense building techniques in RE6, then I have very high hopes for that game.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Otaku World Order said:
Playing the demo has been kind of a mixed experience for me. Weirdly, the game reminds me of Resident Evil: Dead Aim, which I wasn't expecting.
You should really get this game. Read the previous post for a detailed explanation.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Heard it was good (specifically, the atmosphere on the ship is great and creepy, which is the best thing anyone can say about a horror game to me), and might consider picking it up if A: I had a 3DS, and B: I had money. Alas, A and B have not come my why yet, so... not buying it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I am actually interested in this Revelations, not the other one, but im still waiting on word of a international Monster Hunter release for the 3DS before i decide to buy one.

If theres not going to be any Monster Hunter for my 3DS, then its likely ill be getting this way, way down the line.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Andrew_Mac said:
zombieshark6666 said:
I strongly suggest you try this game out. After RE 5 I was skeptical about it, but now, I'm very much behind it. If they can use some of the suspense building techniques in RE6, then I have very high hopes for that game.
I' glad it's great, but between the DS, 3DS and PSP, I went with the PSP! No weirdo Jill for me. :D

I didn't expect a portable game would stir my interest in RE. It's nice to see Capcom might be back on track (and then there were chest-high walls in the RE6 trailer).

*The girl in your badges looks like Quistis.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
cursedseishi said:
Meh.

That's about all the demo left me with. Sure its pretty graphically speaking, sure the atmosphere is nice. But at least for me, without a second analog stick and on such a small screen, I can't aim worth crap in it. I either shoot just above the head, or into their chest, so I have to wait for them to get a little too close for comfort before I can really hit them in the head with anything less than a shotgun.
Introducing, the Circle Pad Pro. First game to function with it. MUCH better gameplay with it, you can get it in a bundle with the game and it makes it so much more immersible.

Also makes the console itself a lot easier to hold as it doesn't cut into your hands. Curved like a PS3 or Xbox controller, and has two buttons on either side (I'm yet to find a use for the L button on Revelations... But L2 is used for aiming, R2 is used for firing and as a general action button and R is the grenade/knife button.)

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Matthew94 said:
I also like the character switching in various chapters, it's good to switch from Chris in 1 level to Jill in another.
I find that slightly annoying. I just get comfortable with the weapons one character has and suddenly it switches me to a completely different person with different weapons. I get confused easy.

The thing about this game, it kind of defeats the point in having a hand held. With the CPP its too large to fit into my pocket, so i need a bag for it, and the game itself is quite reliant on sound. You can't play it on a bus or something, unless you are ok with the impact being half as good. I know one chapter wouldn't have been half as scary had it not been for the sounds... the laugh, oh god the laugh... she can see me... send help...

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Sadly I won't be able to play this game, due to a lack of a 3Ds. One question though is the game a cannon part of the Resident Evil story line or is it just filler? Like Dead Aim or Gun Survivor?

Also if temptation gets me and the console lowers its prices a bit then I might consider buying a 3Ds.

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
Oh gee let me just load it into my 3DS. Oh wait, I don't have one. Freaking Capcom and their exclusivity deals. :( 'waits for RE6'

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
cursedseishi said:
Now if they get around to announcing Monster Hunter and a few other 2-analog dependent games, I'll probably grab it, and maybe Revelations too.
They already have one in the works, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D. It's going to use the CPP as well. It's out early march.

knight of some random number said:
Sadly I won't be able to play this game, due to a lack of a 3Ds. One question though is the game a cannon part of the Resident Evil story line or is it just filler? Like Dead Aim or Gun Survivor?
It's plot takes place in 2004-5 (you switch occasionally to 1 year ago, hence the 2004, mostly in 2005) and the story itself slots in nicely before Jill "dies" as shown in RE5. In the end credits it shows them walking towards that buliding, cuts to black and says Jill and Chris have no idea what they are going towards, or something along them lines. The story makes sense as well, Nothing hugely important happens, as they'd have to explain its absence in RE5, like, if Jill lost an arm or something. But its a good story, fun to play and the Raid mode afterwards makes sure you won't tire of it. I've spent 8 hours on the story (just started my second play through on a higher difficulty) and another 8 and a half in raid (only finished the first set of levels, with 3 sets of 20, each getting harder and harder. And the bonus level which is IMPOSSIBLE at my present level.