Thoughts on the sexualization of the new Fatal Frame?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Fatal Frame was never lacking in pretty girls, and there was always the odd sexy costume unlocks, so I didn't pay much attention to the see-through [http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--WEAroxfP--/gq0r2mepb6bclh5ziyn4.jpg]? Er... realism, I guess. But for fuck's sake...

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---5MM9czc--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/rhls8kwjfzdjiyintfqf.gif

Did you really have to include DoA's jiggle physics, Tecmo? Taking four steps don't make breasts reverberate like that. Just because you had Team Ninja's resources lying around doesn't mean to have to use them.

It really puts me off how they have changed the feel of the game to appeal to a certain sect of the audience.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
*Head desk* You know, I never got the abundance of sexy girls in fiction. I mean...why? Why? It usually just completely smashes whatever atmosphere you were going towards. Like this! Can we just back away from sex for five seconds!?

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I didn't know there was a new Fatal Frame game coming out...man first I hear a new Clock Tower (well SS), and now a new Fatal Frame oh happy days.

Anyway Fatal Frame has always had that kind of deal so I don't see the big issue. They bring the photography, the ghosts, and have the boss be the victim of some messed up ritual and I'll be happy.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
I don't know if what your showing is going to far or such yet. I would need to hear and see more. However I can comment that I think sex appeal is kind of out of place in a horror game. Horror games are meant to unnerve and, well, scare you. If your spinning around over and over to watch your chest bounce, your doing it wrong. (Unless the game is using sex to unnerve you and that gets into a whole other issue.)

Also your links don't work.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I get the feeling that, if it wasn't Tecmo's janky jiggle-physics, you probably wouldn't notice.

Because there's motion, and then there's DOA...

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
nomotog said:
I don't know if what your showing is going to far or such yet. I would need to hear and see more. However I can comment that I think sex appeal is kind of out of place in a horror game. Horror games are meant to unnerve and, well, scare you. If your spinning around over and over to watch your chest bounce, your doing it wrong. (Unless the game is using sex to unnerve you and that gets into a whole other issue.)

Of course sex appeal can take place in a horror game, some even make it their theme with their enemies eating you with their vaginas.
Anyway it does emphasises the powerlessness of the character, or would you rather the characters be gruff Mcgruffs? That preferable?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
Anyway it does emphasises the powerlessness of the character, or would you rather the characters be gruff Mcgruffs? That preferable?
So there can be only two binary states to portray powerlessness - Gruffy McGruff and fap material?

Edit: I meant only two binary states to portray power and powerlessness - Gruffy McGruff and fap material?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Rozalia1 said:
Breasts in motion represents powerlessness?

That represents a poor choice of bra, if anything. Possibly content for a horror game, admittedly. An unconventional one, but certainly an original one.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
nomotog said:

Of course sex appeal can take place in a horror game, some even make it their theme with their enemies eating you with their vaginas.
Are you trying to say that sex appeal makes a character look powerless?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Pink Gregory said:

That represents a poor choice of bra, if anything. Possibly content for a horror game, admittedly. An unconventional one, but certainly an original one.
You messed up the quoting, brah!

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
The jiggle physics? Oh, come on! At least not in a serious game. In a completely not going to touch the sexism of it(because it's a bit obvious) I'll focus on the tone. How the fuck would this add to the tone of the game? So when she gets startled first she jumps then her breasts bounce a half a dozen times? The only way I can see it working is if they pull a Spec Ops. First you need to establish the trope(senseless fanservice) before you tear it in half cackling like a mad man.

That did make me think that the male equivalent of this is floppy dong physics and we've only had that once in an extremely silly game, Mount your Friends. If there are more examples, please keep them to yourself.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
The jiggle physics? Oh, come on! At least not in a serious game. In a completely not going to touch the sexism of it(because it's a bit obvious) I'll focus on the tone. How the fuck would this add to the tone of the game? So when she gets startled first she jumps then her breasts bounce a half a dozen times? The only way I can see it working is if they pull a Spec Ops. First you need to establish the trope(senseless fanservice) before you tear it in half cackling like a mad man.

That did make me think that the male equivalent of this is floppy dong physics and we've only had that once in an extremely silly game, Mount your Friends. If there are more examples, please keep them to yourself.
That's not equivalent at all. Breasts are a secondary sexual characteristic, penis is primary. It would be something like flowing beard physics.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
That's not equivalent at all. Breasts are a secondary sexual characteristic, penis is primary. It would be something like flowing beard physics.
Confirm for Guan Yu - Dynasty Warriors 9 plz.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
RA92 said:
So there can be only two binary states to portray powerlessness - Gruffy McGruff and fap material?
Gruff McGruff doesn't portray powerlessness, it portrays power. No I never said there was only two states on anything.

nomotog said:
Can add to it yes.

Pink Gregory said:

I was addressing sex appeal not jiggle physics.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Find a way to keep their Japanese market from secretly buying it in droves online when no one is looking and maybe they'll consider it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
Can add to it yes.

[/quote]

I think... that says more about your outlook on sexuality than anything else. I sincerely doubt they added jiggle physics to add to the horror atomsphere.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
They also put Ayane in Fatal Frame in a Bonus Chapter.
By "Bonus" I mean actually it is a CANON STORY!!!
Make sense and make no sense at the same time.

With all honesty, if the game is still scary, I don't care.
I already played games like Saya no Uta and I am still terrified by it....

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Rozalia1 said:
RA92 said:
Gruff McGruff doesn't portray powerlessness, it portrays power. No I never said there was only two states on anything.

nomotog said:
Can add to it yes.

Pink Gregory said:

I was addressing sex appeal not jiggle physics.
We really need a a Horror game which you control a Muscular man with a massive jiggle-physic D*ck go all over the place while you run.
This will make him look powerless.