THQ Auctions Off Remaining IPs

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
THQ Auctions Off Remaining IPs

The company expects a "vigorous" sale for its remaining franchises, such as Darksiders and Homeworld.

Since they will be sold separately [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121188-THQ-Files-For-Chapter-11-Bankruptcy]. Now, it looks like the sale is happening: THQ has announced that it will be auctioning off the rights to its remaining franchises to the highest bidder.

A THQ press release announces that several assets are available for bidding, including a number of major franchises such as Darksiders, Homeworld, and Red Faction. The company intends to complete the court-supervised sales for the remaining IPs by mid-May of this year.

THQ has designated six separate groups of titles for bidding:

Red Faction and its three sequels
Homeworld and Homeworld 2
MX vs. ATV, consisting of eight titles
Darksiders and Darksiders 2
Other software owned by THQ, consisting of 40 titles including Destroy All Humans!, Titan Quest, and uDraw
Software licensed by THQ, consisting of 36 titles including Worms, Nexuiz and Supreme Commander

Once you've proven to THQ you're financially capable of joining in the sale, your bids for any of these lots need to be in by April 1, with final bidding cut off by April 15. Once the winning bid and backup offer are determined, THQ and the creditors committee will present the sales to Court for final approval.

THQ claims to have received "more than 100 expressions of interest in purchasing various titles", and is expecting a "vigorous" sale for its remaining intellectual assets.

Source: Press Release via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/26/darksiders-homeworld-red-faction-and-other-ips-next-on-thq-auc/]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, one good thing that might happen is a new Homeworld game. I mean, if someone puts up money for it, they'll likely want to put it to some use, and THQ seems to have been content to sit on the franchise and do nothing with it for the past 10 years.

See THQ, maybe if you didn't toss away so much money on crap like uDraw and put out more games in your good franchises, you wouldn't have gone under...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Someone better get those Worms right and keep Team 17 eating hot meals. My bid is [pocket rummage] lets see [/pocket rummage] £18.23 and a biro. I'll throw in some cotton buds (unused) and an altoids tin full of nail clippings if that sweetens the deal.

I'd be suprised if Darksiders doesn't go for a decent price. There are at least two more games in the franchise if I've been counting my apocalyptic horsepersons correctly and the previous games weren't too shabby. I guess we have to wait until April to see what will come of things.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Though I'm not overly fond of Homeworld, my friends are. And I'd like for these guys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121689-Indie-Developer-Tries-to-Salvage-Homeworld-From-THQ] to manage to snap the IP up :)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I'll give you a tenner for the rights to Destroy All Humans! That was a fun game.

Maybe this sale will mean we'll see some action out of these old IPs.

Though even I wouldn't want to buy the rights to uDraw. They'd have to pay me. I've seen those things sell for $5, and it was a big factor in tanking the company.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Actually.

If they don't get bought. Does this mean they enter public property? Wouldn't that be a good thing? If everyone could make awesome games using these IP's as a basis?

Oh who am I kidding of course not. The evil empire of the Mouse made sure that could never happen again. Gotta make the moneys.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
TITAN QUEST!

Someone pick that up and USE IT FOR THE LOVE OF THE MAKER.

Also wouldn't mind a new Destroy All Humans game. They've all been fun, solid little games.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
1337mokro said:
Actually.

If they don't get bought. Does this mean they enter public property? Wouldn't that be a good thing? If everyone could make awesome games using these IP's as a basis?

Oh who am I kidding of course not. The evil empire of the Mouse made sure that could never happen again. Gotta make the moneys.
They will get bought. If noone puts up a reasonable offer, EA or Actizzard will come in and go "TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL 10$!". Goodbye, Franchise #214563462758465352421 killed by them.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
uDraw is up for grabs? I'm sure that'll fetch a high price o_O

It'd probably be easier to retire it completely seeing as it's practically symbolic of shutting an entire corporation down...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Come on Platinum, pick up Darksiders. You know you want to! You even expressed interest in it last month.

And Red Faction? Seems logical to give it to DICE, they're the ones with that showed off the destruction with Battlefield, aren't they? Although it does mean it would take even longer for a new Mirrors' Edge :/

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Darksiders and Homeworld are the only two franchises here I give a shit about, tbh.
Well, and maybe Red Faction to a degree. It was pretty ok, and could become much better in the right hands.

As a fan of the original Total Annihilation I found Supreme Commander to be pretty good, but the series went down the "simplify and streamline" route and that, imho, sucked all the fun out of it. It was the last RTS series I played before I pretty much gave up on the genre and moved to RPGs which, while often very streamlined, told much better stories to compensate.

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
The company that made Titan Quest isn't around anymore IIRC, so I guess I don't care much about who exactly buys it.

I really hope Sega buys Homeworld. Relic is the only developer that can be trusted with the IP. They created the franchise in the first place, and they are the only major RTS developer left in the industry.

Don't care much about anything else on the list, but here's hoping that worthy IPs will find owners whose heads aren't stuffed up their asses.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Oh man, now I'm picturing Valve making Homeworld 3... ..oh wait, it's got a three in the title.

Arse.