THQ Hammered by Sub-Par Homefront Scores

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Video games are in a sad state if an average score of 73 is bad whilst an average score of 80 is good.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Traun said:
Baresark said:
DaHero said:
hem dazon 90 said:
Well that sucks for THQ.
There is only one single reason why this game was hit bad.

It didn't have "Call of Duty" in the name, so the fanboys didn't buy it and instead bombed it because it could have been what Modern Warfare 2 and BlackOps will never be.
You're absolutely right. $10 says the next CoD game gets stellar reviews, even though it won't be any different than the last two iterations. I love how the campaign was criticized for its length when it's no shorter than any campaign lengths from the last 4 CoD games. In the review it says, "it felt short", well so did that last CoD games, but no one was there to criticize them for it. No, CoDBlops S&S (short and shitty) campaign got praised for how good it was. Yeah, nothing beat facing a horde of endless guys every other stage, wow, what excitement.
Just because CoD had 8 hour long campaign doesn't mean we should get used to it.
I've never taken 8 hours to beat a CoD campaign. So, I'm not used to it, haha.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I'm loving the game, actually. But the whole "the campaign is 5 hours if you're really good" thing was a load of shit. I died probably 4-6 times each level, and was looking for the newspapers and still managed to beat it in about 3 hours. Multiplayer is pretty awesome...

Traun said:
Just because CoD had 8 hour long campaign doesn't mean we should get used to it.
Which one was that? I haven't seen them pass the 6 hour mark since CoD2...

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
GiantRaven said:
Video games are in a sad state if an average score of 73 is bad whilst an average score of 80 is good.
Apparently we went from the 1-100 scale, to the 50-100 scale and now we use the 70-100 scale. Sooner or later reviews are going to split like stock in a good company, otherwise we are going to be using the 97-100 scale come 2015.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
This game was released today, as in within the last 24 hours. It is a bit too soon to judge the game based on review scores alone, if at all. At the end of the day the game's development staff, publisher, and stockholders don't care what X wrote in the review of the game in publication Y.

A game's success comes down to one thing, two words: units sold.
Not what numeral between one and ten it earned from someone who thinks they know everything about playing games. Money is what counts.

Granted, I haven't played the game and it may possibly be a piece of crap.
Do I plan on buying it? No.
Do I plan on renting it? Maybe.
So, yeah, the game's failure is primarily the marketing department's fault.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
vrbtny said:
That.... wasn't really unexpected... was it?

We all knew it was going to happen.
Sort of... but at the same time a lot of people were optimistic about it. I for one thought it would at least amount to an 8 or something.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
I'm loving the game, actually. But the whole "the campaign is 5 hours if you're really good" thing was a load of shit. I died probably 4-6 times each level, and was looking for the newspapers and still managed to beat it in about 3 hours. Multiplayer is pretty awesome...
MP reminds me of Battlefield kinda, so I might like it. But the whole "It sucks because of a 5 hours campaign" is so stupid since all the CoD games are about that and I think the MP sucks, since everyone just runs around like it's Unreal tourny.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Kaos' future was in their own hands. They KNEW the game wasn't brilliant when it shipped. They hoped that THQ media peeps could sell it for more than it is, which failed.

Feel no sorrow for these peeps.

BTW: I havent bought Any newer COD because of the weak SP. 5 hours of gameplay? And I have to pay $50 for it? Bullshit.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Baresark said:
DaHero said:
hem dazon 90 said:
Well that sucks for THQ.

It didn't have "Call of Duty" in the name, so the fanboys didn't buy it and instead bombed it because it could have been what Modern Warfare 2 and BlackOps will never be.
You're absolutely right. $10 says the next CoD game gets stellar reviews, even though it won't be any different than the last two iterations.
The last 4 CoD games have been rather different from each other. 3, if you take out WaW.

I love how the campaign was criticized for its length when it's no shorter than any campaign lengths from the last 4 CoD games.
Those actually are complained about.

In the review it says, "it felt short", well so did that last CoD games, but no one was there to criticize them for it.
You're...you're joking, right? I heard kvetching over Black Ops up until last month. Mostly people saying it was "generic" without actually specifying.

No, CoDBlops S&S (short and shitty) campaign got praised for how good it was. Yeah, nothing beat facing a horde of endless guys every other stage, wow, what excitement.

Edit: I sound bitter, and I'm really not. But, I hate the horrible double standards regarding this genre of game.
No, you are bitter, and it's either coloring your interpretation of the criticisms leveled against the CoD series, or you somehow managed to avoid them entirely.

Bretty said:
Kaos' future was in their own hands. They KNEW the game wasn't brilliant when it shipped.
How could they have done better? Any ideas?

They hoped that THQ media peeps could sell it for more than it is, which failed.
It's marketing's job to do that for every game anyway.

BTW: I havent bought Any newer COD because of the weak SP. 5 hours of gameplay? And I have to pay $50 for it? Bullshit.
Remember that analogy about water with no hydrogen I used upthread? That's CoD without the multiplayer. If you don't think it's worth it with both, sure. But don't strawman.

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
If they only added another 3 hours to the campaign and charged $10 less they coulda scored 85+ and sold 4x the copies. Although we all know the next CoD is going to be a 1hr campaign and cost $70 and will score 11/10's and set all new sales records.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
DaHero said:
hem dazon 90 said:
Well that sucks for THQ.

Sure blame it on the fans

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Baresark said:
DaHero said:
hem dazon 90 said:
Well that sucks for THQ.

You're absolutely right. $10 says the next CoD game gets stellar reviews, even though it won't be any different than the last two iterations. I love how the campaign was criticized for its length when it's no shorter than any campaign lengths from the last 4 CoD games. In the review it says, "it felt short", well so did that last CoD games, but no one was there to criticize them for it. No, CoDBlops S&S (short and shitty) campaign got praised for how good it was. Yeah, nothing beat facing a horde of endless guys every other stage, wow, what excitement.

Edit: I sound bitter, and I'm really not. But, I hate the horrible double standards regarding this genre of game.
I don't think its a double standard. COD doesn't go around flaunting that it has an awesome storyline.. that it will rock your world. COD knows that its now mostly an online FPS these days and it plays to that angle only. It sells itself just no more then what it expects us to get out of it.

Homefront on the other hand.. over sold its worth. When it starting going on and on and on about its awesomely plausible futuristic storyline by the writer of Red Dawn was, unintentionally or not, they literally promised a worthy long campaign. What we got was 5-7 hours of "a brutal shock-value neo-con mental masturbatory snuff film"... er campaign.

So they [Kaos] starting talking shit like they could "hang" with the big boys.. so everybody shouldn't act shocked when they get scored as such for coming up short.

Trevor Burch

Jan 26, 2011
If it really is this subpar, that's a shame...the multiplayer videos I've seen are quite interesting and seem to have more dynamic gameplay than MW2.

mighty_wambat

Jan 26, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Please don't let this drive THQ down. I don't want to see Relic without a publisher. Shame about Kaos Studios as well, they tried to do something and it didn't pan out the way they hoped.
relic is based in British Colombia, same place as EA Head quarters, so if relic loses thq, ea will snatch them up... or... the programmers will have to work for ea... or open a d&d & magic the gathering store (happened in my town)

but i see this as good news, same as medal of honor, in some weeks the used games section will have another game that is not worth 60 but is a golden addition to my collection at 20$

the multiplayer is suppose to be good + 32 players online
so all in all, good.

Itsthatguy

Jan 22, 2011
Is this really a surprise. Homefronts gameplay trailer revealed it to be yet another COD clone. Just like COD, it has a shit campaign. But it doesnt have CODs massive fan base, hence no sales.....