THQ Impressed by 3DS Anti-Piracy Tech

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
dryg said:
LeonLethality said:
ZeroAE said:
Doh!
I give it 3 month maximun.Video games cost the double in my country , so piracy is justified.
Nothing justifies theft. If you can't pay for it, you don't get it, plain and simple. If you can't afford a couch that doesn't mean you get to steal it.
Only the companies that birbe courts and makes money from suing people call it theft. This is copying, nothing is lost. And yes, that is a bad excuse, Steam (almost) got the same price everywhere.
Theft is theft, digital or not. The companies should be making money for every copy out there. If you were having things stolen from you, you would not buy any of the excuses pirates make.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Piracy wouldn't exist in the first place if the games and other forms of entertainment weren't so damn expensive.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Phoenixlight said:
Piracy wouldn't exist in the first place if the games and other forms of entertainment weren't so damn expensive.
that is completely untrue.
something like 30%+ of the humble indie bundle were pirated....and you could pay WHATEVER you wanted for it...a penny even...and 30% + of people still piated it.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
SFJ said:
ramox said:
ZeroAE said:
Doh!
I give it 3 month maximun.Video games cost the double in my country , so piracy is justified.
This must be the worst justification for piracy i have ever heard...i and i've heard plenty.
I think it's one of the best. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for paying people for their creative property, but saying "it doesn't matter the cost, piracy is always wrong" is inviting businesses to just hike prices as high as they like. There's got to be a point when it's fair to steal. If a company is unfairly pricing something that I want, I will try to find a way around it. I'll pay £20 for a game, but not £50.
But, there is no such point. There is always the option to, you know, just not play the games. What many people seem to forget is that they have no god given right to own/play videogames. If you want a specific car, you have to shell out whatever the manufacturer wants for it. It's not in the slightest differnt for games. Pay it or leave it. Period.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
Phoenixlight said:
There are 2 reasons why this argument isn't dying.

1) For some reason we accept that if i can't (or don't want to) afford a speciffic car/TV-set/whatever i have to get a cheaper alternative but when it come to games we all think it's our god given right to own and play em, by whichever means.

2) Because it's possible and not as frowned upon as regular theft.

cornmancer

Dec 7, 2009
I'm not a hacker, but I know some very basic psychology, and Nintendo is saying, "Try and hack, I dare you ************. I double dare you," whether they mean to or not. 2-4 months before they hack it.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
ZeroAE said:
Doh!
I see your 3 months and trump you with 1 month. Max.

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
Could someone explain what exactly the DSi did to help combat piracy? I don't have one and I am not familiar with the changes made over the DS Lite.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
From what I've heard, the anti-piracy system implemented in the 3DS will be highly effective, and also a tad cruel. Gamers using pirated software on the 3DS might be surprised when their games are interrupted by a black and white picture of an old well. As ominous music plays a ghostly miyamoto will rise from the well, climb out of the 3DS screen, and deliver a falcon punch to your solar plexus. After waking from an unconscious state you will recieve a phone call that says you will be sued in seven days.

Either that or the 3DS transforms into a Virtualboy. I don't know which is worse, to be honest.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
I like how it's always "Piracy is killing us! ITS KILLING UUUUSSSSS!" instead of reality, which is "Right now we have a ridiculous amount of money pouring in, but it could be a money tsunami, and we feel that being billionaires just isn't enough"

Btw, what are the easiest platforms to pirate games for? The Wii, the PS2 and the PC. Yeah, those are all huge commercial failures.

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
cornmancer said:
I'm not a hacker, but I know some very basic psychology, and Nintendo is saying, "Try and hack, I dare you ************. I double dare you," whether they mean to or not. 2-4 months before they hack it.
Exactly. Every cracking group on this planet will race to be the first to crack this DRM.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Either the statement is a) just a marketing move, to reassure investors or b) deliberately non-descript for fear of revealing too much to any would-be hackers.

Guess we'll see for ourselves as to how long it holds out.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
So they're basically officially issuing a challenge to the pirates? Doesn't sound all that wise to me...

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
SFJ said:
ramox said:
SFJ said:
ramox said:
ZeroAE said:
Doh!
This must be the worst justification for piracy i have ever heard...i and i've heard plenty.
I think it's one of the best. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for paying people for their creative property, but saying "it doesn't matter the cost, piracy is always wrong" is inviting businesses to just hike prices as high as they like. There's got to be a point when it's fair to steal. If a company is unfairly pricing something that I want, I will try to find a way around it. I'll pay £20 for a game, but not £50.
But, there is no such point. There is always the option to, you know, just not play the games. What many people seem to forget is that they have no god given right to own/play videogames. If you want a specific car, you have to shell out whatever the manufacturer wants for it. It's not in the slightest differnt for games. Pay it or leave it. Period.
It's not that simple. If the option exists to pirate something, a lot of people will take it. Piracy will always exist in some form or another; therefore, the only solution is to be reasonable with the public and reach a compromise. We don't live in a world where games companies can say "£50 or no game."
You see, by no means i am defending high prices. But you said it yourself, the reason people pirate is not because the stuff is too expensive. It's sinmply because they can.
If piracy wouldn't be technically so easy and the only way to get a copy of game XY would be to steal it from the Gamespot shelf no reasonable person would even think about doing so. We would suck it up and safe our money for the game we want to play or simply wouldn't play it.
You can argue prices as much as you want, but the sole reason for pirates is: "Because i can"

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
WilliamRLBaker said:
that is completely untrue.
something like 30%+ of the humble indie bundle were pirated....and you could pay WHATEVER you wanted for it...a penny even...and 30% + of people still piated it.
Well that's not representative of everything, if new games were released at £15.00 instead of £40.00 I'd guarantee that more people would be inclined to just buy them. A lot of people who currently pirate games and other media are students who don't have enough money to afford them, although there will always be some people who will do it regardless of the price because they're just bad people.