THQ Lays Off Staff

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Lays Off Staff

THQ has laid off a number of employees from its administrative and publishing departments, but its internal studios appear to be unscathed.

The rocky ride continues at THQ, which on Wednesday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115503-THQ-Refocusing-on-Core-Gaming] announced an "updated business strategy" that will see the company move away from throwaway licenses in order to focus on core franchises like Saints Row, UFC Undisputed and Warhammer 40,000. Not unsurprisingly, an announcement of staff cuts followed.

"THQ confirms a reduction in force to the company's administration and publishing organization," the publisher told Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/26/more-layoffs-at-thq-today.aspx]. "As recently announced, the company is exiting the kids' licensed games category, and is focusing on its core game franchises and developing its digital initiatives."

If there's any upside to the story, it's that THQ's internal studios, which include Relic, Volition, Vigil Games and two THQ-labeled studios in San Diego and Montreal, weren't affected by the cuts. That will come as no solace to those who were affected, but something has to give: THQ shares are currently trading around 70 cents, having collapsed from around $30 just a few years ago. The company said it would reveal details about its reorganization in February.

Feb 13, 2008
You'd have thought the CEO would have, at least, resigned.

But that's giving credence to the idea that he's responsible for his company, which we know is never the case.

Otherwise we'd have seen an end to the Murdochs.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Ahh well, as long as Vigil Games is okay then I am happy. You cut the company whose making my 40K MMO and I will cut you. O_O

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
If they can make it back this is could be an insanely good investment opportunity.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
In an American company? Ha!

JMan said:
At least they'll continue to make Saint's Row games.
I can't wait for the next one, which will take five hours to 100% and come with 200 dollars of DLC.

DVS BSTrD said:
If he was responsible THQ wouldn't be in this position in the first place.
Brian Farrell has been around since the whole debacle started, it seems strange that the investors would be willing continue paying him over a million dollars a year to lose them money. I guess they're just as incompetent as he is.
Investors rarely seem interested in who's behind things. Though at this point, the fact that they have ANY investors seems to agree with your theory of incompetence.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

But that's giving credence to the idea that he's responsible for his company, which we know is never the case.

Otherwise we'd have seen an end to the Murdochs.
If he was responsible THQ wouldn't be in this position in the first place.
Brian Farrell has been around since the whole debacle started, it seems strange that the investors would be willing continue paying him over a million dollars a year to lose them money. I guess they're just as incompetent as he is.
I would personally call him responsible for choosing to drive the company in a better direction. There is a lot of misinformation floating around out there about the level of impact that a CEO actually has on a companies success. It's actually quite random and up to chance more than anything else. He has occupied the position since 1995 according to Forbes. So, he is every bit as responsible for the $300/share price tag it had going for it as he is to the 70 cent one it currently has. The most responsible and intelligent thing they could do was keep the guy that made the mistakes, who has clearly learned from his mistakes, if any were to be had.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
If there's any upside to the story, it's that THQ's internal studios, which include Relic, Volition, Vigil Games and two THQ-labeled studios in San Diego and Montreal, weren't affected by the cuts.
That's just not true, they laid off testors this week. I know one of them.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
But doesn't THQ do alot of external publishing as well? Anyone have an idea what game titles just went up in smoke (potentially) because they aren't internally developed? The Metro 2033 sequel comes to mind.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
lomylithruldor said:
Andy Chalk said:
If there's any upside to the story, it's that THQ's internal studios, which include Relic, Volition, Vigil Games and two THQ-labeled studios in San Diego and Montreal, weren't affected by the cuts.
Then again, companies have a tendency to treat their testers like dirt, no matter what how well they're doing.

I wonder how much of this may have been caused by the latest Red Faction game's flop?

Mar 26, 2008
rabidmidget said:
lomylithruldor said:
Andy Chalk said:
Then again, companies have a tendency to treat their testers like dirt, no matter what how well they're doing.

I wonder how much of this may have been caused by the latest Red Faction game's flop?
It's funny how testers/QA are the first people to be laid off when their input can be among the most valuable when trying to produce a quality game.