THQ Outs Downloadable Voltron Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
THQ Outs Downloadable Voltron Game

In a blatant stab at my generation's nostalgia glands, THQ has revealed the upcoming Voltron: Defender of the Universe.

Though the game is scheduled for an official unveiling later this week at Comic Con, IGN spoke to the developer and was granted early details.

Of specific interest, is that the game is based on the mid-1980's Voltron. The good Voltron. The one where five color-coded lions merged into a wicked sweet robot and cut monsters in half with lasers and the power of friendship.

Gameplay details are scant, though IGN reports the following:

The game will include clips from the animated series and recreate some big moments that fans should recognize like the discovery of the lions and the first formation of Voltron. It's described as an action adventure game.

Up to five players can team up as the Voltron Force online, or two players can cooperate offline (there will also be single-player gameplay). Each Lion has its own strengths, resistances, and elemental attacks. When formed as Voltron, players will have to work together to wield his enormous sword.

Cool, huh? That five-person multiplayer idea is just brilliant, as long as you get the Black or Red Lions. Even Princess Allura's Blue Lion would be pretty choice. Just so long as you don't have to play as Pidge. I hate that kid.

IGN also has a promotional trailer for the game [http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/18/voltron-the-game-trailer] that offers a very short look at the title's gameplay. Unless I'm totally missing my mark, there are overhead shooter-style sections in which you play as your respective lion, as well as Voltron versus giant monster boss battles that seem less interactive than one might hope.

Though things initially sound intriguing, I would warn against getting too excited for Voltron: Defender of the Universe, as the game is being developed by Behaviour Interactive [http://www.bhvr.com/index.html]. No, there isn't any reason why you should recognize that name. To date the company's highest profile title is the PSP iteration of 2010's literary blasphemy cum God of War clone Dante's Inferno.

I'm not saying Behaviour is incapable of creating the Voltron game of my dreams, I'm just saying that, to date, the company has done nothing to prove itself. Fingers crossed that this project doesn't result in yet another forgettable licensed title in Behaviour's development history.

Voltron: Defender of the Universe is scheduled for release on both the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade. The former iteration will debut on October 25 and the latter will appear the next day.

Both versions will feature a $10 price tag.

Source: IGN [http://au.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/118/1182385p1.html]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, it's probably going to suck.

Since Voltron sucked.

Then again, you can still make a good game out of a shit IP.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The graphics look atrocious, but the top-down gameplay looks decent eno....

Earnest Cavalli said:
PSP iteration of 2010's literary blasphemy cum God of War clone Dante's Inferno.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
The graphics look atrocious, but the top-down gameplay looks decent eno....

Earnest Cavalli said:
PSP iteration of 2010's literary blasphemy cum God of War clone Dante's Inferno.
We call it Latin. It's an Italic language first used in Ancient Rome around 75 BC whose influence can be seen in vast swaths of our current Indo-European vocabulary.

Does anyone else have a question?

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
I'm not buying this game. And really the only developer THQ could get was the same ones that made Dante's Inferno? Cause cloning God of War and butchering the source material is apparently the 'sure-fire' bet for success.

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
I will call this tentative excitement. Just a $10 price tag may be good enough to check out. I trust that this will end up getting an Escapist Video review, there are too many 80s nerds for this to slip the net. (and I mean that in a good way)

THQ gave us Dawn of War, which was good. Behaviour gave us Dante's Inferno which is sad face.
I'll wait and see....

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Gerhardt said:
I will call this tentative excitement. Just a $10 price tag may be good enough to check out. I trust that this will end up getting an Escapist Video review, there are too many 80s nerds for this to slip the net. (and I mean that in a good way)

THQ gave us Dawn of War, which was good. Behaviour gave us Dante's Inferno which is sad face.
I'll wait and see....
Yeah but they were also in EA back then.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I took another look at Voltron, which I loved as a kid, and it turned out to really kind of suck.
Not even nostalgia could make it right.

Though lord knows what they'll make of this game. The five-person what not definitely has potential.