Threat to the world... or just another country...

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I like writing, and one of my 'projects' is about a nation with approx. 20 million, that is composed entirely of people who have both of the following powers: telepathy; and telekinesis. It's quite a dystopian state that uses the more powerful telepaths to police the remainder, and it's modelled on a pseudo-hivemind, that is to say, they protect themselves and look out only for the good of the nation-state. They have their own economy/military/political structure/education/industry (i.e. everything a developed nation has), but the individual is no longer really individual, the needs of the state override the rights of the individual and there is little culture.

Just wanted to gauge the 'rest-of-the-world' reaction, and ask/discuss the following: what would you (as the UN/NATO/EU/whatever) do with respect to this nation: leave them the hell alone? Or mutually gang up on them and wipe them from the face of the earth? Or perhaps try to get along with them?

I will preface this by saying that I'm only after immediate impressions. There is a backstory to this, but it'd take too long to go into it. Assume that they've just materialised and you are fully aware of their political intentions (isolationism only slightly toned down).

EDIT:

Layz92 said:
Possibly they share each others pain too, just an idea.
Yes, this happens, forgot to mention.

9_6 said:
What can they actually do with their telekenesis?
Enough to protect themselves (i.e. the equivalent of power-armour/whatever armour you prefer) and propel a car along without the need for its engine (of course).

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Telepathy and Telekinesis?

Kill them all I say.
Just think about how easily they could take over the world.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
play nice with them and try to open trade and immagration and get them to breed with everyone else so eventually everyone has these powers.

VladimirSirin

Jul 8, 2010
If they are a sort of nation organized like an ant or bee colony, I can't really see how they would even react to normal human beings, or interact with them, in any meaningful way.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Well, if I were the EU, I'd just let them deal with their shit alone. I mean, the one rule in this world is chaos, and NO amount of people act in the same mind.

You'll have, at the very least, 1/3:rd of the "powerful telepaths" working for underground organizations or just making crime (i,e., murder, mayhem, whatever horrible shit). And the other 1/3 of those telepaths will get abusive with their powers and just generally be douches to the other good people if they just see the slightest flaw.

Policing is a nightmare and can't be accomplished 100% nor fairly, but with those abilities on the table, there's just a matter of time before the country goes bankrupt from all the violence going on.

So, as the EU, I'd just stand back, point and laugh.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Telekinesis is a bit OP you know. They immediately gain bullet catching, flight, tearing people apart, fire (agitating atoms to produce heat or reduce it), they can redirect nukes etc etc. Basicly telekinesis is one big "I WIN" button. It can be compensated for, like void shields that make soldiers inert to those people's powers, or supersoldiers (if you want a time honoured "counter-I WIN" button), just something you might want to look out for in combat situations. Possibly they share each others pain too, just an idea.

If a nation was that dedicated to being isolated I think most everyone else would leave them alone other than an occasional mercantile request or spy mission ('cos if they hide away people will immediately think they have something to hide). A spy story set in that hive-mind setting with an infiltrator could be rather interesting.

PleaseDele

Oct 30, 2010
Considering fear is quite the human thing... I'd say I'd probably use propagande to attack this nation to erase their assumed supreme existence in fear of not having the first strike.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
I like writing, and one of my 'projects' is about a nation with approx. 20 million, that is composed entirely of people who have both of the following powers: telepathy; and telekinesis. It's quite a dystopian state that uses the more powerful telepaths to police the remainder, and it's modelled on a pseudo-hivemind, that is to say, they protect themselves and look out only for the good of the nation-state. They have their own economy/military/political structure/education/industry (i.e. everything a developed nation has), but the individual is no longer really individual, the needs of the state override the rights of the individual and there is little culture.

Just wanted to gauge the 'rest-of-the-world' reaction, and ask/discuss the following: what would you (as the UN/NATO/EU/whatever) do with respect to this nation: leave them the hell alone? Or mutually gang up on them and wipe them from the face of the earth? Or perhaps try to get along with them?

I will preface this by saying that I'm only after immediate impressions. There is a backstory to this, but it'd take too long to go into it. Assume that they've just materialised and you are fully aware of their political intentions (isolationism only slightly toned down).

EDIT:

Layz92 said:
Possibly they share each others pain too, just an idea.
Yes, this happens, forgot to mention.

9_6 said:
What can they actually do with their telekenesis?
Enough to protect themselves (i.e. the equivalent of power-armour/whatever armour you prefer) and propel a car along without the need for its engine (of course).
This sounds like WW's Trinity o.o;;

In one setting called 'Austronesia' (In the East Asian belt) ... it has a huge population of soldiers in 'The Legion' in which most of the 'country' is controlled by a Military Hierarchy.

'The Legion' is made up high-tech soldiery with psychokinetic powers tasked to protect Earth from Extrasolar threats.

Can't remember what population 'Australia' had in the setting, but I'm guessing it's similar to now ... only half of the people are controlled/are psychokinetic soldiers divided into 8 different legion factions for specific purposes o.o

Anyways ... assuming that Humanity advanced so far that there was a true collective it would be an incredibly powerful organization. Imagine a society in which the collective information of all is accessible? Where one's eyes means millions of eyes ... one's thoughts are in a constant struggle to gain consensus.

It wouldn't be all bad though .... atleast the nation would beable to control and assimilate all the 13 year old Bieber lovers.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
So basically Nazi Germany with telekinesis? I'd be scared shitless.

I might have a twist for your story. Why does this nation have all the telepaths and telekinetics and no other nation does? Perhaps the leaders of the world have been working behind the scenes to set up this state, dumping all their telepaths/telekinetics in there.

The purpose served is two part.

1: They can get rid of these dangerous people

2: They can set up a force that will scare the shit out of everyone else, and force the rest of the world to cooperate. Ultimately to seal the deal however, all nations bill bind together and attack this one nation.

Its all quite a dilemma, very morally gray. On the one hand, the world leaders are trying to do something unprecedented, they are trying to get together to legitimately create world peace. After the nations are bound, hundreds of years of peace are projected to follow. On the other, look at the cost. These telekinetics/telepaths are being forced into this puppet state as a sacrificial lamb for the rest of the world. Hell, it would have me thinking. Like I personally would disagree extremely with the powers that created this puppet state, but the puppet state is there and its very powerful and dangerous. I'd see no choice but to wage war on this monster our world leaders created.