Three books to base a society on.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
klaynexas3 said:
1. Atlas Shrugged
2. The Communist Manifesto
3. Mein Kempf

I want to see how that world would turn out.
I suspect you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
MopBox said:
Double A said:
The Color of Magic
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Pokemon Adventures

Do I win?
I have tried to start reading The Color of Magic like six times now but I can never break past the first chapter. Does really merit continuing effort?
I don't think so. Mind you the Discworld series turns out incredible, but its got a weak start, and not a hugely relevant start (even the later Rincewind Novels don't truly rely on it), I think Gaurds Gaurds is the usually recommended starting spot, though I quite liked Pyramids.

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
Requia said:
MopBox said:
Double A said:
The Color of Magic
Pokemon Adventures

Do I win?
I have tried to start reading The Color of Magic like six times now but I can never break past the first chapter. Does really merit continuing effort?
I don't think so. Mind you the Discworld series turns out incredible, but its got a weak start, and not a hugely relevant start (even the later Rincewind Novels don't truly rely on it), I think Gaurds Gaurds is the usually recommended starting spot, though I quite liked Pyramids.
Yeah, I feel like I'd like discworld if I could just break into the series. I'll give Gaurds Gaurds a look see.

The Name's Bond

Jan 16, 2012
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

These are my picks because they represent everything a society needs. The origin of species to show people that those who do not adapt will not survive, to encourage my society to adapt and embrace change.

Lord of the Flies to show that in order to survive, we cannot resort to barbaric and primal nature in simple fear of something that appears to be explainable

Finally To Kill a Mockingbird because it is the ultimate book, on judging a book by its cover, the perspective of innocence, dealing with the prejudices in society and doing what is right, even though it may make you unpopular.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
1. 1984
2. mein kampf
3. is it just me, or is everything shit?

so super oppressive state, and the common people are disgruntled and know whats going on, and will eventually rise up and rebel.

maybe i should create a backup world...

1. harry potter and the order of the phoenix
2. the lord of the rings: the two towers
3. a song of ice and fire: a clash of kings

basically, a MASSIVE competition for kings landing, with an awesome magic battle between dumbledore and gandalf. also who wouldn't want to see tyrion, gandalf and dumbledore drinking together (if they weren't fighting)

edit: the specific titles chosen are because its when several factions are really strong i.e. spoilers for each book listed ahead
voldermort is regaining power, the order is still pretty strong, rohan is reunited, the ents join in, saruman and sauron both have an army, renly, stannis and joffrey all trying for kings landing, rob trying to become king in the north etc

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
1) Pathfinder Core Rulebook
2) Warhammer 40k Dark Heresy
3) Continuum/Narcissist Core Rulebook

Basically Magic, Chainswords, and Time Travel. At the very least, those would be the main aspirations of my society if I can't just have them right off the bat.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
1. Jurassic Park
2. Some kind of Star Wars Book
3. Marcus Aurelius's meditations

Basically the sole aim of this society is to resurrect dinosaurs. The Star Wars book is there, so that when shit inevitably hits the fan and the dinosaurs escape I will have a lightsaber to protect myself. Marcus Aurelius is there, so that hopefully everyone else will be too engaged pondering the meaning of life and whatnot to notice the escaped dinosaurs, which then leads to them becoming the food instead of me.

shrimpcel said:
1. Les misérables
2. War & Peace
3. Notes from the Underground

Reading other people's suggestions kinda makes me sad... Where's the good litterature people???
I can tell you where it isn't - War & Peace. Just because the book is excruciatingly long does not make it good literature.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
1. Breakfast of Champions
2. Confederacy of Dunces
3. The Tiger that came to Tea

Ha ha, yes. A world based of the teachings of Boethius where we are all characters in another mans novels and the most powerful commodity is - friendship? Yeah, I haven't read that third one since I was 5 so I can't remember the moral.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa, Lost Girls by Alan Moore (technically cheating, since it?s based on Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and Peter Pan, but whatever), and The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

So, a world of anti-Theism where teenagers can both create works of arts through alchemy and have endless sex with random strangers with apparently no fear of STDs or pregnancy? I?m down for that. Well, except for the inevitable part where a many-eyed Captain Hook sacrifices the entirety of Theists so that he can sexually violate what he calls ?God? and then become a god himself, all before he?s late for his ?tea party? with Alex Louis Armstrong and Dorothy Gale. Actually, that doesn?t sound that bad either.

Zeke17

Jan 1, 2013
Jack the Potato said:
1. Everybody Poops
2. Earth: the Book
3. The Novelization of Jurassic Park.

It would be the same as now, but with more self-referencing humor, less shame about bodily functions, and DINOSAURS!!!

All are welcome! Kickstarter campaign will be up soon!
The Jurassic Park book came three years before the movie. You seem to be implying the book is based on the movie.

Nietzschen

Nov 28, 2010
My 3 books to found a society on are as follows

1)Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
2)Mantrapping by Ragnar Benson.
3)The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing by Michael Ruhlman.

what could possibly go wrong.

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
Platon: Politeia
Nietzsche: Also sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spoke Zarathustra)
Hegel: Grundlinien der Philosophie des Rechts (Elements of the Philosophy of Right)

not a society for everyone, but i guess i would find my place

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
1. Twilight
2. Fifty Shades of Grey
3. Clockwork Orange

.... wait, something is wrong here and I'm not sure what. What was the question?

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
1) Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien - I know it's a trilogy but I have it in one volume so... yeah I'm going for it.
2) Ramayana trans. William Buck to prose form
3) Dune, Frank Herbert

I want my society to believe in the supernatural within and around them. Spirituality is something I feel is sorely lacking in the world presently and I feel our humanity is diminished by this lack.

wraithverge

Nov 1, 2011
The Underachiever's Manifesto
Jurassic Park
World War Z

I want zombie T. Rex to hunt people who just can't be bothered to do anything about it.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
MopBox said:
Double A said:
The Color of Magic
Pokemon Adventures

Do I win?
It's without a doubt one of the funniest books I've ever read. I've actually only read the first three books of Discworld as of right now, only started on them this month.