ThreeSpeech Podcast Panned by Listeners

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
ThreeSpeech Podcast Panned by Listeners

The majority of listeners to the "semi-official" Sony blog's podcast have disapproved of the show.

ThreeSpeech, an unofficial PlayStation 3 blog that is loosely related to Sony, released the first episode of its Threespeech Podcast [http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=444#comments] to a storm of sour responses. The trouble began when statements made by host Ben Furneaux during the show addressed an "unnamed" Microsoft blogger (no doubt a reference to Larry "Major Nelson" Hyrb), despite the hosts themselves running their site behind veils of vagueness.

Furneaux stated during the podcast, "Microsoft have got their significant other and I think the PlayStation offering, if you ask me, is far superior and a lot less slimy. ... When they [Sony] delay something, they go, 'Oh, whoops. We've delayed it. Sorry,' and they're just honest about it, and everybody picks on them for being blatantly honest about it.

"Whereas with Microsoft, all their PR is very like trying to be your best mate, and I don't like it, it's very grimy. I get that feeling with the unnamed Microsoft blogger and podcaster, who likes to call his podcasts blogcasts. Oh come on, just because it's Apple - just call it a podcast, that's what it is. ... It doesn't matter if you're listening to it on iPod or not. But do listen to it on an iPod. Or a Sony Connect player."

Heavily-trafficked game site Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/26/sonys-three-speech-launches-podcast-takes-cheap-shot-at-major/] wrote a scathing review of show. Major Nelson has run his site with full disclosure over his role as an official Microsoft employee and many would argue that Sony's own marketing techniques have been significantly more distasteful [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/71233-Sony-Announces-Internal-Inquiry-Over-God-Of-War-2-Party] than Microsoft's. News of the podcast spread, sharing the dislike across internet forums. Some of the typical comments read:

"The tone and presentation are extremely strange. Sony must 'mean' something very different to a gamer in the U.K. if they believe content this insidious could possibly gain traction. Their gaming platforms must be very near to an assumption." - Penny Arcade [http://www.penny-arcade.com/2007/06/27#1182927600]

"Unlike the writers on this blog at least he owns up to who he is and his role for Microsoft, I think its a bit unfair to call his site 'slimy' when this blog has unnamed writers and is 'semi-official' whatever that is!!" - GamerG

"I agree with joystiq - this podcast comes out as a trainwreck of typical Sony arrogance. Change the fucking record and maybe you'll sell a few more PS3s." - Monkey65

"Puerile, fanboy tripe. And the snipes made at Microsoft (Major Nelson specifically) where as cheap as they come." - Jackie J

Despite these ravaging remarks, some listeners have stood up in support for the ThreeSpeech show.

"Every time Microsoft sends a representative in for a big interview, all important issues are completely avoided. In fact, their PR department tries their damnedest to make sure that hard-hitting questions are completely ignored and/or countered with horrible cop-outs." - DJ

"Great Podcast fella's , Its the first one ive actually listened to and enjoyed although I feel kinda sorry for poor Tom Eccles I could virtually feel the tumbleweeds blowing past during the Warhawk section haha." - Dancryer

"This is already one of my favorite podcasts.lol. the whole church part had me cracking up. and your accents make it 20 times better lol." - sean

Beery

May 26, 2004
Wow! Those are some pretty hypocritical comments coming from the Sony bloggers.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It is just the first episode, though. Bumps in the road are nearly inevitable, including issues with content and delivery. And while I don't keep up with all this greasy kid's stuff console nonsense, my understanding is that for all intents and purposes, this is a podcast by Sony, about Sony, for Sony (and yes, what the hell is "semi-official" anyway?), so why are people so surprised that the hosts are shilling for Sony?

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
1. "Semi-official" in that it's not a Sony show. Rather, Sony has pretty much hired a marketing agency to do it.

2. It was the comments about Major Nelson, who, for being a corporate guy, is straightforward with his position, that sent listeners into rant mode.