TIGA: Canada a "Major Threat" to UK Games Industry

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Ummmm ... The British taught us how to do it right. Now they are pissed that we learned. Its a shame when the empire bites back ...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I must admit that I love how Parr responded to what Wilson said. If Canada is not doing anything illegal than I see no problem with them have a better advantage. If the gaming industry is so important in the UK than perhaps the the government needs to do something.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
What sorcerer in the UK made people stop being mad at no tax breaks and instead be mad at Canada who aren't dumb enough not to give said tax breaks?

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Thank god that we still have people like Molyneux. He may not quite reach the goals he aims for but damn it, at least he has a vision and tries to create something unique.
I'm not entirely sure that having Molyneux is such a good thing. Even he is considered to be a punchline in the gaming industry. I do not mean to offend but...well...the guy promises the stars and gives us dirt, the biggest let-down being Fable II's multiplayer.

It's at the point where if he makes a claim, I flat-out ignore it until I see proof of it. The guy is either a liar or mildly incompetent.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
They're blaming Canada for essentially make their country better for game developers.

This is a case of being a fucking sore loser. It's like the people on Xbox Live who blame you when you kill them.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Don't worry John, Tim Horton's is one of the things Canada will never let go. We love it too much.

Also I like this, Canada being a threat... Perhaps if we sped up the bear training we could be a threat to more places and things...

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
Oh dear from this I'am completely torn, which of my heritages should i stand for?! GAAAAAAAA-
*scanners head pop* Just joking, but yea if canada makes better games then you then strive to make better games then them, if you want to be better instead of just complaining about it.

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Don't worry John, Tim Horton's is one of the things Canada will never let go. We love it too much.

Also I like this, Canada being a threat... Perhaps if we sped up the bear training we could be a threat to more places and things...
*Sigh* Unfortunately, there are only so many weapons bears can actually physically use. And we are getting nowhere with trying to teach them how to fly helicopters...

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
Okay, UK. Y'know what? We Canadians live on the border with the United freaking States of America. Pissed about the British game devs leaving for Canada? Try having your best DOCTORS and SURGEONS jump over the border to the US to get a pay increase!

They have an "unfair advantage" because they have privatized health care, as opposed to our government run health care. Now, our care is fine, but when a lot of our best and brightest are going south for the money, it doesn't exactly make us happy. But that's how the US runs their health care, so we can't get all up in arms. Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side.

I hope we can all put this behind us one day and unite to play a friendly match of Bad Company 2 or something.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
It seems like half of the people on this board is Canadian, and the post really shows it.

Wow, way to be mature about it guys, start insulting the UK. I don't think the UK actually insulted Canada, but expressed concern that they move in and try to absorb the UK Games Industry.

Also, it's hard to improve the UK Games Industry when there is so many problems. Publishers against us, the fact the UK is in such heavy debt. It's not a simple skip in the park and magical funding appears in its pocket.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Dyp100 said:
It seems like half of the people on this board is Canadian, and the post really shows it.

Wow, way to be mature about it guys, start insulting the UK. I don't think the UK actually insulted Canada, but expressed concern that they move in and try to absorb the UK Games Industry.

Also, it's hard to improve the UK Games Industry when there is so many problems. Publishers against us, the fact the UK is in such heavy debt. It's not a simple skip in the park and magical funding appears in its pocket.
As a Brit I'd like to say HEY!! So you think you Canadians can insult the UK... THAT'S OUR JOB!

Half the people on this board may be teasing Canadians but I'd wager as good enough of the other half are Brits moaning "yeah, it's 'orrible 'er" or "Blaaaady Britain, we can't do anything right"

It's a national pastime to complain about our collective incompetence, with strange bouts of pride and spirited defence, but mostly moaning and lamenting our former glory. We miss the computer-gaming prowess that we had in the 1970's-80's like we miss our Empire... almost as if we feel we don't deserve it today but just want a bit of the glory back.

(So be warned Canada, expect a Falklands-esque counter-attack in the gaming industry)

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Treblaine said:
Dyp100 said:

As a Brit I'd like to say HEY!! So you think you Canadians can insult the UK... THAT'S OUR JOB!

Half the people on this board may be teasing Canadians but I'd wager as good enough of the other half are Brits moaning "yeah, it's 'orrible 'er" or "Blaaaady Britain, we can't do anything right"

It's a national pastime to complain about our collective incompetence, with strange bouts of pride and spirited defence, but mostly moaning and lamenting our former glory. We miss the computer-gaming prowess that we had in the 1970's-80's like we miss our Empire... almost as if we feel we don't deserve it today but just want a bit of the glory back.

(So be warned Canada, expect a Falklands-esque counter-attack in the gaming industry)
Dude, I am British (Londoner) and I love me some complaining, but I'm just saying, people on here is like: CANADA DID NOTHING WRONG, BUT IF THEY DID IT WOULDN'T MATTER COS BRITIAN IS SHIT.

Like, suddenly when they feel threatend they have to attack? It's childish, if you ask me.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
Wait - they have an uneven playing field that puts them at a disadvantage, and it's Canada's fault?

Maybe if their games industry is so goddamned important, they should strive to make the industry climate there better, rather than expecting us to somehow make ours worse...?

-m
Pretty much this. Maybe the UK should adapt to compete as opposed to antagonizing those who are doing things right.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Let's see, Mucky Foot, Eidos, Ubisoft, Codemasters...I'm out of UK game developers I can think of, and two of those I know have branches in the US and Canada, no ones fault but your own , oh home country of mine.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
YES! Canada kicks UKs ass (gaming wise)! You guys can suck it (gaming wise)!

And I'd just like to thank John Funk for mentioning Tim Horton's.