Tim Schafer Says Publishers Aren't Worried About Kickstarter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Tim Schafer Says Publishers Aren't Worried About Kickstarter

Despite hitting it big on Kickstarter, Double Fine man Tim Schafer says game publishers aren't worried about the impact of crowdfunding on the business of making videogames.

When Tim Schafer said he needed a whole bunch of money to come up with a new point-and-click adventure game, the internet asked, "How much?" And when Tim Schafer replied that 400 large would be a good place to start, the internet gave him $2 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115916-Double-Fine-Adventure-Kickstarter-Breaks-2-Million] and told him to make five games, or make one that's five times better than he was planning. You know, whatever.

Gamers around the world, and some developers too, threw up their arms shouted "Hallelujah!" to the dawning of a new day in which game makers would connect directly with their fans to make the games they really want to make. Finally, after years of laboring under blood-sucking middlemen and flaccid design-by-committee, everything had changed - and we were free!

Except, well, not really. Schafer himself said he's spoken to publishers since his Kickstarter hit the big time and they've been respectfully polite about it and otherwise wholly unimpressed. "[Double Fine Adventure] is just one of our projects. We have four teams here. Those other teams are still out there pitching new games to publishers, and their response has always been, 'Oh that's great - congratulations on that. Now let's talk about games like we always have'," Schafer told Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/27/interview-tim-schafer-on-kickstarter-passion-and-dads/]. "I don't think any publishers are quaking in their boots - they're like, 'Oh, two million dollars, that's cute! That's the marketing budget for the little game I'm working on.' It's not a big amount of money for them. It's a big amount of money for us though."

Despite that cold splash of reality, Schafer acknowledged that crowdfunding does open up some exciting opportunities for indie devs on tight budgets. "Supposedly a lot of indie games have picked up a lot of funding on Kickstarter. The guy who made Pixel Sand [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/564944684/pixel-sand] put up a graph that showed how his funding had increased when we launched our Kickstarter," he said. "I'd love to see it lead to more crazy and alternative ways of funding games."

Feb 13, 2008
While I am being my usual cynical self, are we sure that games publishers actually understand what Kickstarter is?

We do know they're not big on listening to customers; or viewing us as anything more than the bane of their existence.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Well here's the thing publishers: Tim's game is actually going to be worth spending $2 million on development.
Oooh snap!

OT: This still makes me happy for Tim's game though, despite the fact that publishers seem to be a little smug about this, and maybe somewhere down the line these publishers will take this a litte more seriously.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
I definitely like how it might help other indie game guys get funded. Still, publishers reaction doesn't surprise me. Two million isn't very much for a AAA game, but for an old fashioned adventure game chock full of awesomeness? Hells yes. They only needed 400k after all. So, hopefully, while I don't think this is going to be a drastic change on anything the game industry does at the moment, it should shake things up a bit. Excited to see where this goes.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The issue here is that they view these things in raw monetary terms. If indie games start directly competing with publishers though, you might see some friction there.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I don't really care if Kickstarter doesn't provide the funds necessary to make a triple A title. As long as the games the little innovative guys want to make can be made I'm happy.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
On that note, I think that The Escapist should have a column open to tell us what game developers have a kickstarter going on so that we, of the gaming community, can openly support them at any given notice. It would be a pitty if a lesser-known indy developer of some lesser known game company tried it out and were left with an empty box and no rum.

Feb 13, 2008
Quaidis said:
On that note, I think that The Escapist should have a column open to tell us what game developers have a kickstarter going on so that we, of the gaming community, can openly support them at any given notice. It would be a pitty if a lesser-known indy developer of some lesser known game company tried it out and were left with an empty box and no rum.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Let's just hope this doesn't become a trend. I'd rather people help fund medical research than indie games... but that's just me.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Let these smug fucker publishers keep ignoring this while it snowballs into something that truly will hurt them down the road, that would be quite awesome to see!

Quaidis said:
This is a great idea, i would love to see this happen!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk sez that Tim Schafer sez that publishers sez said:
Oh, two million dollars, that's cute! That's the marketing budget for the little game I'm working on.
And this explains why Repetitive Franchise 2012 costs $60 despite being made up of two-thirds of Repetitive Franchise 2010.

I started buying indie when money got tight. Never looked back. I just can't justify spending sixty bucks on a game when that same amount of money can buy me a bunch of simpler but equally fun games with less risk (duds only cost me $5 - $10 each).

So have fun with your marketing budget that requires you to unload 50,000 copies just to make it back, never mind the dev costs. I won't be the one paying for those ads.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Yeah, of course they don't care. They are dinosaurs. But you can bet they will start caring when people start producing new IPs, get successful, then kickstarter their sequels. Because then they will start having new, interesting and established IPs that the publisher wont be able to take away from them for a few dollars and a bag full of promises. They will be stuck recycling their same old shit over and over.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not surprised they aren't worried. They still push the big bucks around and pay for the biggest titles. I look at Kickstarter as a way working outside what is mostly a broken system. If someone wants to make a smaller game but publishers only care about the bottom line (which shamefully is not what us consumers want) and won't fund it, why not go ahead and seek funding from gamers who would be interested. This isn't gonna rock the boat, but it's a way for gamers to potentially get what they want. Definitely not a bad thing.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
weirdguy said:
The issue here is that they view these things in raw monetary terms. If indie games start directly competing with publishers though, you might see some friction there.
And in my little old opinion, there will be friction. I see this being the start of something different - not exactly what we're expecting, but something very new.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
An adventure game, even one made by Tim Schafer isn't going to challenge a Modern Warfare, a Mass Effect or even a Borderlands. Yes two million isn't a lot of money when you look at the money flowing around a big title. That said it looks like a good option for indies to get something off the ground.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
The thing publishers don't realize is that with devoted developers and good PR $2 million dollars can go a hell of a long way.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Well here's the thing publishers: Tim's game is actually going to be worth spending $2 million on development.
i ... have nothing to say that can top this, and its truth