Time Flies When You're Posting on the Escapist

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I'd give all the wealth that years have piled, the slow results of life's decay, to be once more a little child for one bright summer's day.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Man, has it really been 6 years? I remember Unskippable. I remember their live show. I got up at 3am with Uni on the same day just so I could watch it.
I'm still waiting for another Unskippable Live. "But Creator," you say, "the guys from Unskippable aren't here anymore. There will never be another Unskippable Live!" Well, non-believer, that's what they said about Duke Nukem Forever.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Creator002 said:
Man, has it really been 6 years? I remember Unskippable. I remember their live show. I got up at 3am with Uni on the same day just so I could watch it.
I'm still waiting for another Unskippable Live. "But Creator," you say, "the guys from Unskippable aren't here anymore. There will never be another Unskippable Live!" Well, non-believer, that's what they said about Duke Nukem Forever.
Id go with Wolfenstein, DOOM or Shadow Warrior. You do want to enjoy it, dont you?

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Saelune said:
Id go with Wolfenstein, DOOM or Shadow Warrior. You do want to enjoy it, dont you?
At this point, the duo could just stream the webcam feed without the game and I'd be happy.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Silentpony said:
Oh I 'member!

Oh OH, 'member when Lisa Foiles did Top 5s! I 'member!
*Member Jimquisition? 'Member The Big Picture? 'Member?
Oh I loovvveee to 'Member Jimquistion!

'Member Daily Drop? 'Member when MovieBob called us all scum bags? 'Member Gamergate?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Boy the way Yahtzee played
Lisa Foiles counted the hits on parade.
Users like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Gamers were Gamers and weren't dead,
Mister we could use a Community Manager
Like Susan Ardent* again.

Didn't need no Wild West,
Everybody used the captcha.
Gee Critical Miss comics were great.
Those were the days.

(*Actually wasn't a fan of Susan... but still, 'Member?)

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Redlin5 said:
I feel older and older every time I look at the community signature background I made....
I feel older and older every time I see you on the forums, as you're the only active friend I have on this site back from the 09/10 forum game days.
We're fucking old, man.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Redlin5 said:
I feel older and older every time I look at the community signature background I made....
I feel older and older every time I see you on the forums, as you're the only active friend I have on this site back from the 09/10 forum game days.
We're fucking old, man.
And [user]Neonbob[/user] is like a sage now. Married and shit. Fuuuuuuck.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/how-do-you-do-fellow-kids.jpg

I came here for Yahtzee and stayed because...because...He's still here, I guess.

Never been very active though.

Watch out for the Y2K bug!

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I joined up because I was very sick and couldn't leave the house often. Being stuck inside with no-one to talk to was very boring, and I already watched ZP so I thought I might as well join the forum.

Five years later and I'm mostly still around out of habit and stubbornness. I can't say I'm particularly active or invested though.

I did spend a lot of time arguing with people who have very strange ideas about women, so I can't say it was the best time, but it was something to do.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
Saelune said:
I also dont miss the Low Content rule. Glad thats gone.
I miss it. It was one of the things that made this forum unique - you could count on most of the posts being worth a read. Now, having to sift through memes to find worthwhile material doesn't exactly help my motivation to keep reading. At this point, I'm mostly doing it because I've been doing it for so long that it's become something of a reflex when opening a browser.

That said, I don't feel particularly nostalgic about it. The escapist is, by and large, what it has always been - if a little less lively (and paradoxically less structured). I also recognize that getting rid of the harsh moderation was probably necessary to keep any semblance of activity in an anemic community, so I'm not second-guessing the decision.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
It's really nice to sit and reminisce. I used to look forward to Hubilub's latest ramblings or Furbut's current topic to get bent out of shape over. I stopped interacting some time in 2012 really and just never managed to come back from that level of inactivity. There isn't really any content to draw me here, even ZP is long in the tooth.

But if I had to name some of my favourites I'll always remember Doomsday Arcade and There Will Be Brawl, Doraleus and Associates as well as PGG. Rebecca Maise Muses was providing some very niche music for the site and Miracle of Sound had just about started posting his music as actual topics!

All being said, 7 years is a really long time to be part of something. Whilst I may not visit here as often as I used to, I'll always miss the 'old days' as they were and I'd be a little sad if the Escapist ever went down!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Nomad said:
Saelune said:
I also dont miss the Low Content rule. Glad thats gone.
I miss it. It was one of the things that made this forum unique - you could count on most of the posts being worth a read. Now, having to sift through memes to find worthwhile material doesn't exactly help my motivation to keep reading. At this point, I'm mostly doing it because I've been doing it for so long that it's become something of a reflex when opening a browser.

That said, I don't feel particularly nostalgic about it. The escapist is, by and large, what it has always been - if a little less lively (and paradoxically less structured). I also recognize that getting rid of the harsh moderation was probably necessary to keep any semblance of activity in an anemic community, so I'm not second-guessing the decision.
I just like being able to answer a yes/no question with literally just a yes or no. I think you shouldnt be forced to try to say what you can in one sentence over many.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Redlin5 said:
Sassafrass said:
Redlin5 said:
We're fucking old, man.
And [user]Neonbob[/user] is like a sage now. Married and shit. Fuuuuuuck.
Married and has a kid, I believe.
Shit, even I'm an uncle now.
Shit's weird, man.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I just want doomsday arcade and apocolypse lane back...

Man I am absolutely ancient.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Silentpony said:
Oh I 'member!

Oh OH, 'member when Lisa Foiles did Top 5s! I 'member!
*Member Jimquisition? 'Member The Big Picture? 'Member?
'Member There Will be Brawl? 'Member Doraleous Associates? 'Member Apocalypse Lane and all those other shows I never watched? 'Member when Moviebob was swearing like crazy and had absolute shit audio quality, 'member? 'Member Experienced Points? 'Member Moviebob Intermission? Oh I 'member!

I joined when I was in high school so I could comment on ZP... now I'm a fully graduated working adult.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Basement Cat said:
[HEADING=2] You are the man![/HEADING]
...now dog? [http://yourethemannowdog.ytmnd.com/]

That's right, old memes to go with a nostalgia thread.

Redlin5 said:
I wonder how many of the people who signed that background still visit this site...

Sassafrass said:
Redlin5 said:
We're fucking old, man.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I feel old now. Goddamn you all! This website has seen me through some strange times, good and bad. I keep coming and going, I always get drawn back here.