Time Magazine holds poll to ban a word in 2015. "Feminist" leading the poll [Final Update]

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I'll be curious: what happens to the word that gest 'banned'? Are some kind of special police going to stalk people and make sure no one is using the banned word?
Pleaaaaase...

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Besides, surely the answer is 'obvi'.
I have never heard or seen that used in anything ever.

So hard to be annoyed by it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Leon Declis said:
I love how everyone thinks that 4chan is this single hive-mind of neckbeards, and yet if you pop over to the other thread, they get angry that people have these horrible stereotypes about gamers.

I also like that 4chan shoves "feminist" into a banned words section for what is clearly 4chan humour, and everyone (well, mostly everyone here) just goes "Hurr durr neckbeards stupid mysogonists! They're so stupid!"

The Escapist:
Where everyone except you is wrong, sexist, racist and a Gamergater until you get rid of that nasty case of "being able to have a laugh".

I would ask that everyone go onto 4chan for half an hour. Go to /b/, go to /pol/, go to /adv/. Try to have a conversation. You know what you'll find? 100 different opinions. Now come back here. Now what you'll find? 2 different opinions, and then everyone attacking you for having a different opinion than one of the popular Escapist kids.
Your opinion is bad and so are you. You should feel bad as a result of that. Now, change your opinion to be more like mine damn it!

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
Longing said:
There's nothing I like more than people who get uppity about the language evolving, especially if the words in question come from minorities.

you should've at least put men's rights activism on there, make you seem less like a fucking jackass time.
Now, I am ordinarily the person right at the vanguard of telling stuffy linguistic conservatives to get it up 'em....but anyone who uses "totes" and "obvie" in everyday speech, even ironically, should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. I don't understand what it is, but hearing those arrangements of sound come out of a human mouth makes me want to murder things.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
there has been heavy speculation that this is due to 4chan
I'm not sure which is more shocking. That the sanctity of an internet poll has been violated, or that 4chan would be involved.

I don't know what to believe anymore!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Verlander said:
I'll be honest, given the current string of outraged "Twitter feminists" trying to get every man under the sun fired from work for any little incursion, I'm not really surprised.
Yeah, I'm annoyed by histrionic things that aren't really happening either.

Oct 10, 2011
Is it bad that I say a lot of the words and phrases on that list? Nothing against feminism, but I'm glad that it will be banned rather than the others just so that I can still say "yaaaaas".

Not that the word will actually be banned, anyway. This poll doesn't actually do anything.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
In other news, twits are being twats and they think having the right to have their voice heard automatically makes it so that they have something worth listening to. And they are wrong.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
Ark of the Covetor said:
Longing said:
There's nothing I like more than people who get uppity about the language evolving, especially if the words in question come from minorities.

you should've at least put men's rights activism on there, make you seem less like a fucking jackass time.
Now, I am ordinarily the person right at the vanguard of telling stuffy linguistic conservatives to get it up 'em....but anyone who uses "totes" and "obvie" in everyday speech, even ironically, should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. I don't understand what it is, but hearing those arrangements of sound come out of a human mouth makes me want to murder things.
holy overreaction. i'm totes sorry those words make you feel like an homicidal maniac.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
Setting aside the inane sociopolitics, I think the exercise is fundamentally a form of pointless griping about language.

Picking the inane sociopolitics back up, I think all this does is further damage the signal to noise ratio on the subject of feminism. So, 'literally', 'good' job on that, whoever.

As to the premise: words and phrases mean things, and they won't stop meaning those things because you don't understand them or just don't like how a particular assemblage of phonemes goes together.

Language evolves. We can keep up, or be left behind.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Ark of the Covetor said:
Longing said:

Does it count if I sometimes use "totes magotes" when I'm drunk?

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I find this whole thing hysterical, especially how seriously some people are taking it.

Time Magazine has about as much power to ban a word as my dog does. Relax, your words aren't going anywhere.

Unfortunately, I can already see people trying to use this as an example of misogyny or the patriarchy or what have you, claiming that 48% of people (the poll will magically start to represent everyone) are trying to shut down gender studies and feminism.

People take the internet way too seriously...but what the heck, if I'm gonna vote, I vote for "I can't even..." being removed, that phrase annoys the hell out of me.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
MysticSlayer said:
I can't even...

Feminist is literally a basic word in discourse on gender issues, and to ban it would literally disrupt the discourse. Whoever wants to ban such a basic word as "feminist" must be literally bossy.

"I made it past elementary school and want to ban the word 'feminist'."-said no one ever

...Yeah, I'm literally out of ways to continue this while still making some sense.
I think the whole thing is to be taken in a lighthearted tone, almost as if its a joke, same with all the other expressions (no one is banning anything and they arent doing a petition to do so).

I also think their point is that a lot of people use these words when there are better words to pick from at the given moment, following their reason to include feminist on the list (having celebrities state if they are feminist or not) maybe they would prefer to have them state that they are either A, B, C, etc... instead of just saying if they are or not X. No one ever asks if they are fighting for women rights, equality, or male rights, those are three very different things and the buzzword is just one.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Pfft. I'm surprised it wasn't "Gamer".
Because as well all know, gamers are over.

EDIT: If I had to vote on a word ban, it'd either be "entitle" or "totes".

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I'm honestly surprised that people are so wont to chalk this up to recent events. Despite widespread approval for what the term is supposed to represent, the label itself has been perceived to have negative connotations (and unpopular as consequence) for a long time now. Seriously, a quick search yielded a WMST-L discussion on people's aversion to the label dating back to Oct 1993, 21 years ago. Again though, there's a very consistent trend here. People generally agree with the term's intended meaning, they just don't think the term (or perhaps the people utilizing it) represents that and disavow the label as consequence.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
So, from what I gather so far, a number of people seem to have the opinion of the following:

"I want equality for everyone regardless of what gender they are!"

"Unless they have a different opinion than me, then they're intellectually inferior to me!".

Yeah, I don't think you're capable of achieving equality of gender if you can't accept people having different opinions on things without insulting them. Especially something as trivial as a dumb poll which is intended to be humour.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Verlander said:
I'll be honest, given the current string of outraged "Twitter feminists" trying to get every man under the sun fired from work for any little incursion, I'm not really surprised.
Yeah, I'm annoyed by histrionic things that aren't really happening either.
It's called exaggeration for effect. However, since there have been three in the last couple of days alone, it's a justified exaggeration

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Leon Declis said:
I love how everyone thinks that 4chan is this single hive-mind of neckbeards, and yet if you pop over to the other thread, they get angry that people have these horrible stereotypes about gamers.

I also like that 4chan shoves "feminist" into a banned words section for what is clearly 4chan humour, and everyone (well, mostly everyone here) just goes "Hurr durr neckbeards stupid mysogonists! They're so stupid!"

The Escapist:
Where everyone except you is wrong, sexist, racist and a Gamergater until you get rid of that nasty case of "being able to have a laugh".

I would ask that everyone go onto 4chan for half an hour. Go to /b/, go to /pol/, go to /adv/. Try to have a conversation. You know what you'll find? 100 different opinions. Now come back here. Now what you'll find? 2 different opinions, and then everyone attacking you for having a different opinion than one of the popular Escapist kids.
Well, you know, 4chan can't be called what it is. An anonymous image board with several sub-boards dedicated to different subjects. It's the boogyman, it's all that's wrong with the internet.

OT: I didn't even know Time did this. Why is feminist appearing there now? Has it ever been really popular?

I know it's not popular on the internet for various reasons. But has it ever been popular? At uni there was a women's studies class that was one of those senior credit things where several people took it. I never heard a single good thing about the subject matter. And that was supposed to be dealing with feminism and feminist issues.

I guess it's like others have said. People are starting to associate the word with unpleasantness.