Time Magazine holds poll to ban a word in 2015. "Feminist" leading the poll [Final Update]

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
Colour Scientist said:
Maybe that just casts a shadow on the quality of your satire.

Nah, must be everybody else.
Especially with feminists being so well known for their sense of humor, self awareness, and overall fun loving attitudes.

Ahem....That uh...That was also sarcasm. Just so there's not another mix up.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
I have a dream where I will one day live in a world where people no longer get surprised by online polls getting hijacked to cause the most amount of lols possible.

This is basically going "OH MY GOD THERE ARE OFFENSIVE TROLLS ON YOUTUBE COMMENTS" at this point.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Leon Declis said:
I love how everyone thinks that 4chan is this single hive-mind of neckbeards, and yet if you pop over to the other thread, they get angry that people have these horrible stereotypes about gamers.

I also like that 4chan shoves "feminist" into a banned words section for what is clearly 4chan humour, and everyone (well, mostly everyone here) just goes "Hurr durr neckbeards stupid mysogonists! They're so stupid!"

The Escapist:
Where everyone except you is wrong, sexist, racist and a Gamergater until you get rid of that nasty case of "being able to have a laugh".

I would ask that everyone go onto 4chan for half an hour. Go to /b/, go to /pol/, go to /adv/. Try to have a conversation. You know what you'll find? 100 different opinions. Now come back here. Now what you'll find? 2 different opinions, and then everyone attacking you for having a different opinion than one of the popular Escapist kids.
This is the best post in the thread.
Which I thankfully needed after having seen so much stupidity on the Escapist.

Vault101 said:
it does actually frighten me a little that people could be like that...or be influenced by 4chan (or hell...gamer gate) in this way
Your lack of self awareness frightens me equally.

Ikaruga33

Apr 10, 2011
Disregarding the fact that the word feminist is 'winning', does anyone else find the subject creepy?
We shouldn't be encouraging the banning of words at all. I know nothing is going to come out of this, but it still ticks me off a little.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ikaruga33 said:
We shouldn't be encouraging the banning of words at all. I know nothing is going to come out of this, but it still ticks me off a little.
Perhaps you're unaware of abstract thinking? Nothings being ban, it's just another way of saying "What word/term are you fed-up for this year?".

TessaraVejgan

Sep 3, 2014
Yeah, I heard about this. Is this one of those on line joke polls that gets everyone riled up and the people behind it have a good laugh watching the idiots argue? Anyway attempting to ban words is idiotic.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Well, for those offended, it's a good thing Time Magazine does not hold dominion over human language isn't it?

thanatos388 said:
Cool. Can we get rid of gamergate, feminist, and SJW? Then we might be able to restart the conversation without every having sport team mentalities to everything. Gamergaters wont have some identity to get spoiled by assholes, feminists the same, and SJWs won't be able to collectively circle-jerk each other instead of talking to the people debating them.

But everyone has to take sides, everyone has to have "others" to hate.

Why can't Hatred just get banned somewhere to gamers can unite once more and not have these stupid dead end arguments?
Also this.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Just out of curiosity, why on earth are the words basic and disrupt on there?

Okay, i just looked up the reasoning behind them. Fuck, I'm 21 years old, and I'm already a cranky old man. Most of these words either have some new meaning or I've never head of them before.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Looks like the poll was brought down early by the Time Editor. This may be my last update unless more comes to light.

blackmanon4chan

Oct 4, 2014
thanatos388 said:
Cool. Can we get rid of gamergate, feminist, and SJW? Then we might be able to restart the conversation without every having sport team mentalities to everything. Gamergaters wont have some identity to get spoiled by assholes, feminists the same, and SJWs won't be able to collectively circle-jerk each other instead of talking to the people debating them.

But everyone has to take sides, everyone has to have "others" to hate.

Why can't Hatred just get banned somewhere to gamers can unite once more and not have these stupid dead end arguments?

L. Declis said:
I love how everyone thinks that 4chan is this single hive-mind of neckbeards, and yet if you pop over to the other thread, they get angry that people have these horrible stereotypes about gamers.

I also like that 4chan shoves "feminist" into a banned words section for what is clearly 4chan humour, and everyone (well, mostly everyone here) just goes "Hurr durr neckbeards stupid mysogonists! They're so stupid!"

The Escapist:
Where everyone except you is wrong, sexist, racist and a Gamergater until you get rid of that nasty case of "being able to have a laugh".

I would ask that everyone go onto 4chan for half an hour. Go to /b/, go to /pol/, go to /adv/. Try to have a conversation. You know what you'll find? 100 different opinions. Now come back here. Now what you'll find? 2 different opinions, and then everyone attacking you for having a different opinion than one of the popular Escapist kids.
this requires work and thought.... too much no no dont like it dont like it. id rather think in stereotypes and things people have told me. :)

Ikaruga33

Apr 10, 2011
mad825 said:
Ikaruga33 said:
Perhaps you're unaware of abstract thinking? Nothings being ban, it's just another way of saying "What word/term are you fed-up for this year?".
I know nothing is being banned. TIME doesn't have that power.
However, it encourages the banning of words. If you want to just say 'I'm sick of this word' then just name the poll that instead.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
"Said no one ever" takes my vote by far.

As for the whole feminism thing...Well that's internet polls for you, joke/troll votes tend to destabilize polls if they are sufficiently noticed.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Banning words is stupid in the first place. I don't care how bad, insulting, wrong etc word is or came to be. Banning it is stupid. In the end stigma might push it to the outskirts of the language but banning words goes against my beliefs.

As for the word bossy, if you can't deal with name like that growing up, i really don't want you in position of power. Leaders should be people made of sterner stuff.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
So now that they took down the poll does that mean "Feminist" is such a fantastic word that it is unbanable or that it is so offensive it just wins out?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Johnisback said:
All I have to say is: I'm not at all surprised Chuck Norris was listed twice on that poll with the exact same spelling.

OT: Didn't vote on the poll, or even go to the website, but I did manage to get a good laugh out of the whole deal. Is it possible to ban the word "ban" or just ban the act of banning altogether? Or is it easier to ban differences?

Hell, let's all be one homogenized pile of protoplasmic redundancy so no one can complain about stupid petty things that shouldn't have mattered in the first place.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]said no one, ever.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

TheSlothOverlord

Mar 20, 2013
VanQ said:
basic: You get it. Girls need a word for other girls who name-drop D-listers in their fake Louboutins, going around thinking they?re a Carrie, even though they?re really a Miranda ? if Miranda had a less remarkable hair color and worked at TJ Maxx. But basic has become basic. Bad bitches can do better.
Can someone explain this... thing to me please? I only understood about 10% of these sentences.
OT: This is a really stupid poll and I don't know why people even care about it. It's not going to affect anything and only shows that there may be quite a few people who are paranoid about feminism (how shocking!)

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
Maybe that just casts a shadow on the quality of your satire.

Nah, must be everybody else.
No I think it's just you.

Even if you didn't' think it was funny. After this you couldn't tell it was a joke?

Plunkies said:
They also wanted to switch the word "criticism" with the word "harassment" and the word "penis" with the word "rape utensil". I pointed out that the last one was actually two words, resulting in them banning me for harassment.
Pretty basic joke structure there. Or did you just not read that far? I'm not saying that to be condescending It's legitimate question.