Timeshift

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I picked up the PC version at a flea market recently for $24 which I thought was a good deal especially given how much fun I had on the xbox 360 demo of it. The story in summery is an evil scientist went back in time and took over the world. According to your suit (also time travel capable) the year was 1939 which made me laugh and immediately take the story less seriously. I had no idea it would become an alternate World War 2. But given the weapons and mechs I figured I'd try to live with it.

Now onto the games main selling point and that is your ability to alter the flow of time. You can slow, stop, or rewind time at almost any point (rewind being limited in some areas) and you are limited in duration by a small meter just above the time power in the upper left corner of your hud.
Stop time and then take an enemies gun. It's a brilliant gameplay mechanic though it's mostly just for fun. The enemy will still try to go for any weapon lying around though but provided there isn't one he's just become helpless. These soldiers are not without vehicle support though, the toughest being an old gaming nemesis, the mech.
Unkillable early in the game and with very impressive firepower.

Graphics are impressive except in the city levels the distant city looks horrible, even reminding me of the city in Doom 2, Hell on Earth.
Seriously, a 2D city for a game that was released in 2007? What the fuck is this, Haze?

An interesting note on stopping time. Things will take damage but not react to it till time resumes. For example, as you can see this gentleman has taken a few rounds in the face. He stood completely still, even after I put some lead into his skull. The instant time resumed however the force of all the bullets hit him at once, propelling him though the air with delightful ragdoll physics.

Everything in the game will freeze when you freeze time such as the bullet seen here. Water also becomes solid because all molecules are held in place. This is proven most useful when the water is electrified.

Later on in the game you get to ride a zepplin which as soon as I saw the minefieled in front of us I named the Hindenburg. This is a simple turret section where you face rocket propelled mines and fighters and yet it's also a blast because you can still use your time bending powers.

As you progress through the game you will encounter a massive mech which I have no idea of the capabilities of aside from it's immensely destructive main gun mounted on its belly.
In two words, holy shit.

At times you do get to work with squadmates though as I learned in one level where I was with two of them they can be far too easily killed. Later in the game I became glad to not have them as they'd be slaughtered by enemies which are immune to your ability to slow time and they move at twice the speed of normal enemies.

Also on the easiest setting you will still get killed at a rate higher then I was expecting. Part of it is the way your time powers end up becoming quicktime events ("Concealed threat detected" was heard just before a train came out of a tunnel and I didn't stop time fast enough [Press F to not die]). No, stop, before you even say it I am not a noob, I've been gaming for as long as I can remember and have played plenty of first person shooters over the course of my life (the orignal doom games, Doom 3, Crysis and it's expansion, Far Cry Instincts, Far Cry 2, Unreal Tournament [including 2004, and UT3], Quake 2 and 4, and all that's just off the top of my head).

Anyway I haven't quite beaten it yet but it's a nice break from all the FPS games that are either modern war or fuck forbid world war 2 and it's time shifting abilities are really used to the fullest. I got it for $24 but I'm sure you can find it for $20 for the xbox 360 and for the money you get 24 missions each of a fairly good length and I'd say it's well worth the money.

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
A note: WAY too many pics and spoilers. Put in pictures every few paragraphs to illustrate the graphics or the action. Littering them like this throughout the text (even in the middle of sentences) makes the review seem cluttered and messy.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with Timeshift. There could have been a lot more done with it, but it had enough scope and versatility to remain interesting, if a little too easy.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Leodiensian said:
A note: WAY too many pics and spoilers. Put in pictures every few paragraphs to illustrate the graphics or the action. Littering them like this throughout the text (even in the middle of sentences) makes the review seem cluttered and messy.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with Timeshift. There could have been a lot more done with it, but it had enough scope and versatility to remain interesting, if a little too easy.
Sorry, I just know in my previous reviews people were asking for screenshots so I guess I got carried away.

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
Like I say, a few screenshots are okay. It's just a matter of getting the right number and positioning them correctly.

You have what, a dozen? Try to have half a dozen at most. The spoilers were a move in the right direction, but you referred to them in the text of your review meaning I had to click them anyway to get what you were talking about. If you were going for a captions-style effect, put the text in the spoiler box rather than outside it.

Make sure they really illustrate your point well is another thing - you had one picture to show the effects of Time Stop? That doesn't really work well in a picture, which is static. That needs video to illustrate.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Leodiensian said:
Like I say, a few screenshots are okay. It's just a matter of getting the right number and positioning them correctly.

You have what, a dozen? Try to have half a dozen at most. The spoilers were a move in the right direction, but you referred to them in the text of your review meaning I had to click them anyway to get what you were talking about. If you were going for a captions-style effect, put the text in the spoiler box rather than outside it.

Make sure they really illustrate your point well is another thing - you had one picture to show the effects of Time Stop? That doesn't really work well in a picture, which is static. That needs video to illustrate.
Let me see if I can improve this a bit using what you suggested.

edit: Is that better or worse?

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Timeshift was a mediocre shooter, but the time manipulation gimmick was really funky. I'm still hoping for a Timeshift 2 some day, with better gameplay. I'm also very much looking forward to the game Singularity which might be exactly that.

Something hilarious to do in Timeshift, if you haven't already: get in a vehicle, stop time, then drive into an enemy at full speed. You'll come to a dead stop and nothing else will happen... until time resumes!

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
I played a little Timseshift on PS3 and thought it was fucking horrible. It felt like a really bad combination of Half Life 2, Resistance: FoM and UT3.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
I played the demo and loved it, though the time manipulaiton wasn't exactly that useful or smooth, still cool.

As for your review, the pics have issues. First of all, place the captions UNDER the pics. Second, try bolding them, looks hell of a lot nicer. And just like the firs guy said don't cram pics ever chance you get. Include 2 or 3 maximum to give the reader some reference to the game. Oh and make sure they relate to the text beforehand, because some of them didn't actually have to do with the reading so I got confused.

Anyways, pretty ok review, you can definitely improve regarding the use of text formatting and usage of pics.

The King WJ

Dec 11, 2009
Are you serious,
A) i would like to label you as a Confirmed N00B. As of playing the game twice (360 and PC) i would like to note that i must continue with the rest of the Alphabet.

B) its a really short game, and not just short, But REALLY REALLY REALLY short, now i know its not like heavenly Sword(s) short or many other games but its still among the new generations "lets beef up the coool looks and Fuck the players who want at least a game that can sustain a week, Because its challenging and it needs a little thought."

C) I HAVE YOU PLAYED THE ONLINE PORTION have you?, if so, you have saved your self further Heckling, but still you called this (OF ALL GAMES) decent, if not good. though the online does give us that challenge its a pointless one that will go NO WHERE AT ALLLLLLL!!!

D)I'm not doing all 26 letters cause your post kinda made me slap chest retarded.

E) Jekken6 I LOVE YOU!!!! In a crowbar to the temple kinda way <3

SometingStupid

Dec 6, 2009
The King WJ said:
Are you serious,
A) i would like to label you as a Confirmed N00B. As of playing the game twice (360 and PC) i would like to note that i must continue with the rest of the Alphabet.
(What?)

B) its a really short game, and not just short, But REALLY REALLY REALLY short, now i know its not like heavenly Sword(s) short or many other games but its still among the new generations "lets beef up the coool looks and Fuck the players who want at least a game that can sustain a week, Because its challenging and it needs a little thought."
(What?)
C) I HAVE YOU PLAYED THE ONLINE PORTION have you?, if so, you have saved your self further Heckling, but still you called this (OF ALL GAMES) decent, if not good. though the online does give us that challenge its a pointless one that will go NO WHERE AT ALLLLLLL!!!
(Dare I say it, What?)
D)I'm not doing all 26 letters cause your post kinda made me slap chest retarded.
(What?)

E) Jekken6 I LOVE YOU!!!! In a crowbar to the temple kinda way <3(
(Ok then?)

Anyway, liked the review, as said above, the pics were a little overboard, and sometimes it was annoying that the spoilers wre in with the pics. Which meant that to see the picture I also had to have the game spoiled by you.

Keep up the good reviews though.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
SometingStupid said:
The King WJ said:
Are you serious,
(What?)

(What?)
(Dare I say it, What?)
(What?)

E) Jekken6 I LOVE YOU!!!! In a crowbar to the temple kinda way <3(
(Ok then?)

Anyway, liked the review, as said above, the pics were a little overboard, and sometimes it was annoying that the spoilers wre in with the pics. Which meant that to see the picture I also had to have the game spoiled by you.

Keep up the good reviews though.
Yeah it was a completely fucking stupid response to a very good review.

Sick of stupid people responding irrelevantly to a review which took effort and time to make.

-Joe

silverleaf81

Oct 2, 2009
Timeshift was such a ripoff of half life 2 that it was FREAKING FUNNy lol. But the Time Controling in it mad me like it. I LOVE time control!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Timeshift was essentially two games crammed into one. There's a huge shift in quality about a quarter of the way through the game whereupon the Terminator 2 esque visuals of the first few levels are replaced with more interesting but technically inferior steampunkish levels. The difference in quality is really quite striking.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
I love half life 2, and enjoyed Timeshift as well. It wasn't really that short. It has a cool little storyline where you see what happens when you get there too late, then you go back further in time and the last level is pretty much the first level all over but with your influence. The ending totally sets you up for a sequel. Having only three weapons was kind of annoying, but it added to strategy as to what other two weapons you want.

Every once and a while a game will throw in a certain part that is so unreasonablly absurd that you will shake your head in denile. The part in the fuel depot where the soldier fires a bullet into a room full of explosive barrels is one of those moments. It makes for a cool time reversing opportunity, but you gotta chuckle at the lack of realism in that action.

The vehicle parts are pretty fun. The 4 wheeler is much easier to drive than simular vehicles in other fps.

Is it possible to play the game without using your time suit to defeat enemies? Up to a point. Trying to do this will get you killed in the blimp more often than not, and you won't stand a chance against the machine soldiers with time slowing powers. It's a worthy challenge, but you get several challenge levels to choose from in the options that really does up the challege anyways.

Well worth picking up for the 360, since you can probably get it for 15 bucks.